WTB: Dauphine rear springs
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default WTB: Dauphine rear springs

Does anyone have (& be willing to sell me) a pair of these:

Dauphine "normale" R1090 Aerostable rear spring - 11.1mm wire diameter, 99mm outside diameter,
    337mm free length (specs from the Dauphine manual - as supplied by a
    colleague)

Advertisement

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Does anyone have (& be willing to sell me) a pair of these:

Dauphine "normale" R1090 Aerostable rear spring - 11.1mm wire diameter, 99mm outside diameter,
    337mm free length (specs from the Dauphine manual - as supplied by a
    colleague)

cheers! Peter
    Hmm, 69 views, 0 responses. Have you asked Bob Gray?

Playing with the 4CV?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Hmm, 69 views, 0 responses. Have you asked Bob Gray?

Playing with the 4CV?

Cheers
    No, but I shall.

Yep, playing with the 4CV. You'll recall me complaining about the only non-track-day tyres available in 185/60-14 being sloppily structured (&, it has emerged, unstably treaded when full depth). Well, the solution with the Bridgestone T001 shod R8 was these Aerostable model springs with one turn lopped off to reduce rear roll stiffness compared to normal R8 springs. This (combined with the transverse leaf camber compensator, has worked well. The rear tyres are less loaded in yaw & cope better.

The 4CVG recently lost the last of its (no longer available) Conti EcoContact3 tyres. Having been less than pleased with the T001, I moved to the other tyre on my short list, Pirelli's P1. This was without great optimism as it is also a comfort-orientated "touring" tyre.

My lack of optimism proved accurate. No improvement on the T001. As a temporary fix, I've swapped the P1s to the R8 & put its half-worn T001s on the 4CVG. That has worked nicely. I have upped the pressures to 40psi & lowered the fronts to 30 & that, combined with the tread stability of the half worn tread of the T001s has made the rear sanitary again. That pressure differential didn't work with the P1s or with new T001s, so clearly tread pattern instability is more of the story than I had initially judged from analysing its elements.

Anyway, unless I am to constantly shuffle things so that only half worn tyres go on the 4CVG (or I switch to Dunlop Z2 track-day tyres) I will have to rethink the rear suspension. At the moment, the springs are standard R8 with one turn lopped (so stiffer than standard). Despite such a stiffness increase being a bad thing, ceteris paribus, other things were not equal (lower CG & more -ve) & it worked very well when good tyres were available. Now, though, I think that a softer rear end is the way to go. It is a splendid conversion on the R8 & should be a repeatable benefit with the 4CVG.

Hopefully someone has some but, if not, my "Plan B" is to get some wound to specs if such narrow wire is available. The situation isn't urgent as the T001s are not yet shagged out.

cheers! Peter

Hello Peter,

Yes indeed......

From a very amateurish position, I have found the softer rear end of the R8 relative to the 4CV a great improvement. Of course, it works in part due to better quality damping (Koni vs Renault-built lever-action devices of good quality but poor damping sophistication) and the straps to limit downward swing axle travel. So I'd expect you'd find the Dauphine springs better, if accompanied by the other aspects I refer to. And you have the lateral "camber compensator" device too if I recall.

Those springs will assuredly be around. France is a potential source too, an email to Jean-Pierre Delaunoy being one approach. He's very reliable.

I ended up with the Bridgestone Eco-whatever tyres on the Scenic and for my purposes they are an improvement (hardly surprisingly) on ten-year old Michelins. We had early rain in Perth this week and they gripped noticeably better. And, hardly surprisingly, they are much better than the Bob Jane specials on the Xantia, which has departed for a new life in the big smoke of Sydney. I'm enjoying the Scenic although, again hardly surprisingly, its ride comfort can't match the Xantia despite being better than most steel spring devices of the modern era.

Good luck with the spring search and I hope to see you in Bathurst.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

Yep, the rear of the 4CVG (& the R8) is modified in all the usual ways. MRP doesn't show any Dauphine springs on its website but I imagine that it'd be cheaper to get them locally wound anyway once freight is added in.

I assume that the tyres are the Ecopia EP150 I suggested & not the EP100 ones they were trying to sell you. Anyway, as you say, anything would improve on 10 year olds (probably even Chinese Deathmaster SlipQuick GTs).

cheers! Peter

Yep, the rear of the 4CVG (& the R8) is modified in all the usual ways. MRP doesn't show any Dauphine springs on its website but I imagine that it'd be cheaper to get them locally wound anyway once freight is added in.

I assume that the tyres are the Ecopia EP150 I suggested & not the EP100 ones they were trying to sell you. Anyway, as you say, anything would improve on 10 year olds (probably even Chinese Deathmaster SlipQuick GTs).

cheers! Peter

It's Web Pieces Retro for JP, not MRP. Do you have his email address?

Cheaper to make locally perhaps, but the "genuines" have the right top end radius.

Very interesting story about 150 vs 100 too. I ended up with 100. As you say, better than Quickslips!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

No joy from a Perth possible source. Back to you.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    No joy from a Perth possible source. Back to you.

Cheers
    thanks for trying John

thanks for trying John
    Always a pleasure. There are a few Dauphines in WA, but I haven't seen one at an event for at least 3 years now.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information