• 5 Post By geckoeng
  • 3 Post By rubyalpine
  • 3 Post By Wildebeest
  • 4 Post By geckoeng
  • 1 Post By geckoeng
  • 1 Post By geckoeng

Thread: Gordini Racing !!!

Default Gordini Racing !!!

Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd we went to Northam, just outside of Perth to run the Gordini in the Northam Flying 50. A general weekend of low key motor sport competition. It is in the flavor of the old street races held all over the country, but only done in WA of late. It is mainly a hill climb, a gymkhana, and a series of "regularity" runs in appropriate class groups around the streets of the town. Actally a lot of fun and very social. And for anybody with "red mist fever" can be very expensive. The street course is lined with big concrete blocks in the appropriate places.

Graeme had a ball, the Gordini took a thrashing, and stayed cool in 32C heat. Used no oil and no coolant for the weekend. And had its picture taken a thousand times, and many a Gordini story was told to Graeme. I was there to survey the very nice country maidens, and give technical information on the R8G.

Gordini Racing !!!-gym-2-af.jpgGordini Racing !!!-gym-1-af.jpgGordini Racing !!!-northam-street-race-af.jpgGordini Racing !!!-hill-climb-af.jpg

Advertisement
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

1000+ Posts

Default Ahh a bit of fun !

Hi
    Thanks for that. I remember doing that sort of fun. Not much risk to the cars but fun anyway.
    Good pics thanks
    Jaahn
    PS where are the maidens ???

That's a great shot..

Woo HOO!

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

That's great. It is good to see some added activities to appreciate a G.

Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd we went to Northam, just outside of Perth to run the Gordini in the Northam Flying 50. A general weekend of low key motor sport competition. It is in the flavor of the old street races held all over the country, but only done in WA of late. It is mainly a hill climb, a gymkhana, and a series of "regularity" runs in appropriate class groups around the streets of the town. Actally a lot of fun and very social. And for anybody with "red mist fever" can be very expensive. The street course is lined with big concrete blocks in the appropriate places. Graeme had a ball, the Gordini took a thrashing, and stayed cool in 32C heat. Used no oil and no coolant for the weekend. And had its picture taken a thousand times, and many a Gordini story was told to Graeme. I was there to survey the very nice country maidens, and give technical information on the R8G.
    And what was the rarest car there I wonder..... Wish I'd remembered to come, but last weekend was a bit hectic in other ways anyway.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

jaahn,
    I do not take pictures of maidens any more, as I am then called a dirty old man, which I am anyway, and I have a Photographic Memory !!!

Ray
    jaahn and J-man like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    That's a great shot..

Certainly is a nice pic! Also nice to see the pizza cutter steelies have been retained too.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Default A great looking car !

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    That's a great shot..

Hi
    Call me old fashioned if you like but that basic R8 shape is good to my eye. Dressed up as an original Gordini with original bling, and without any wide wheels, scraping the ground etc, only make it better IMHO.
    More strength to your arm. Enjoy it forever
    Shame about the maidens but them's the breaks !!
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Call me old fashioned if you like but that basic R8 shape is good to my eye. Dressed up as an original Gordini with original bling, and without any wide wheels, scraping the ground etc, only make it better IMHO. More strength to your arm. Enjoy it forever Shame about the maidens but them's the breaks !! Jaahn
    I'd second that. Lovely.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Also nice to see the pizza cutter steelies have been retained too.
    Unfortunately Simon there was a move afoot in the wings to change the "steelies' to a set of refurbished Brahinm 15x5.

Gordini Racing !!!-dscn0077.jpg
    Ray geckoeng

1000+ Posts

Pizza Flatteners.
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Default Albany Classic Round the Houses !!!

Sorry I am a bit late, but a lot has been happening since we took the Gordini to Albany for the Street Races (regularity run).

Graeme drove down on the Friday, and I followed and caught him at Bannister, and we continued at about 105-108 kph the rest of the way to Albany. Graeme was having a ball driving the car long distance, and was most impressed that he never needed to change down to overtake. Just stomp on it and drive around the car in front.

Saturday was cold and wet, and the hill climb was just a bit of fun. The Gordini ran with the first batch, but Graeme didn't push as the hill was a bit slippery. But at least he had some fun. We stayed to watch the next group, but the Southern Polar Winds had just started to roll in, and we made a hurried exit for the hotel and a nice hot shower. A trip into town was on the list with hot coffee and cake. We walked the track and I pointed out all the danger points. Concrete walls, lamp posts, narrow island passes, and the sudden left turn at the top of the hill. All the wall were in the process of being installed as we walked, and I think he realised what was in store.

A nice dinner with Graeme's friends from the Porsche Club.

Sunday dawned bright, but very crisp. We found a parking in the pit area, and I deposited the tools and spares with a tarp. and parked the ute nearby. Well the day went very well. Graeme did get faster each race, and was in the top 3, twice in regularity, and in the 5 runs was all in the top 5 in regularity. He had great fun mixing with 2 very hot Minis and a very hot Cortina Mk1. All rater surprised a Renault could catch them. The commentators were also surprised to see a "little blue Renault" mixing it with the well known names. Graeme came back from every race with a huge smile on his face. And a good day was had by all.

We were privileged to sit with John Manley and his 2 grandsons Ray and Steve, at the prize giving. They had a huge hand in the organisation and sponsorship of the event.

And Graeme drove his Gordini home.

Gordini Racing !!!-albany-2016.jpgGordini Racing !!!-20160604_090403.jpgGordini Racing !!!-20160605_101807.jpgGordini Racing !!!-20160605_151059.jpgGordini Racing !!!-20160605_151705.jpgGordini Racing !!!-albany-2016-2.jpg
    Ray geckoeng

COL

Sorry I am a bit late, but a lot has been happening since we took the Gordini to Albany for the Street Races (regularity run).

Graeme drove down on the Friday, and I followed and caught him at Bannister, and we continued at about 105-108 kph the rest of the way to Albany. Graeme was having a ball driving the car long distance, and was most impressed that he never needed to change down to overtake. Just stomp on it and drive around the car in front.

Saturday was cold and wet, and the hill climb was just a bit of fun. The Gordini ran with the first batch, but Graeme didn't push as the hill was a bit slippery. But at least he had some fun. We stayed to watch the next group, but the Southern Polar Winds had just started to roll in, and we made a hurried exit for the hotel and a nice hot shower. A trip into town was on the list with hot coffee and cake. We walked the track and I pointed out all the danger points. Concrete walls, lamp posts, narrow island passes, and the sudden left turn at the top of the hill. All the wall were in the process of being installed as we walked, and I think he realised what was in store.

A nice dinner with Graeme's friends from the Porsche Club.

Sunday dawned bright, but very crisp. We found a parking in the pit area, and I deposited the tools and spares with a tarp. and parked the ute nearby. Well the day went very well. Graeme did get faster each race, and was in the top 3, twice in regularity, and in the 5 runs was all in the top 5 in regularity. He had great fun mixing with 2 very hot Minis and a very hot Cortina Mk1. All rater surprised a Renault could catch them. The commentators were also surprised to see a "little blue Renault" mixing it with the well known names. Graeme came back from every race with a huge smile on his face. And a good day was had by all.

We were privileged to sit with John Manley and his 2 grandsons Ray and Steve, at the prize giving. They had a huge hand in the organisation and sponsorship of the event.

And Graeme drove his Gordini home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albany 2016.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	86336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160604_090403.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	86337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160605_101807.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	86338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160605_151059.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	86339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160605_151705.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	86340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albany 2016 2.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	86341
    Thanks for the update and the pics Ray. The event sounds like a lot of fun.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Isn't it great when the eyes of the uninformed (usually younger people) are opened to what a push-rod ,rear engined, 50 year old French car can do. There are still people here in N.Z. who don't believe a word I tell them about R8/ R10 motorsport success in the 60's and 70's . All they know of those times are Minis and Fords.

Henry
    Sunroof, Graelin and jaahn like this.
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Nice one Ray and Graeme.
    Open face helmet, classic hat, classic car. The early Vauxhall Viva was a reminder of the old days when you "raced what ya brung".
    R8 driven to Albany, no trailer tart this one.

On the very odd occasion I raced my Aronde at Caversham in the '60's it meant driving down from Kalgoorlie, 365 miles. Then back again. All while still on HP !
    Sunroof, jaahn and Graelin like this.

1000+ Posts

Brilliant. Top photos.
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Northam Flying 50 !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLzsu4dSeeI

Just a great social and play day.
    Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Northam Flying 50 !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLzsu4dSeeI

Just a great social and play day.
    Ray
    I that Graeme's R8 in the footage, Ray?
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

John,
    Yes the weekend before UWA show !!!

Ray
    Shoji likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Sorry I have not been keeping up with Graeme and the Gordini's racing this season. But the weekend of 30th and 1st Graeme went to the VSCC regularity run at the Collie coalfields track, south of Perth. Known as the Collie 500.

Graeme had a ball, and really got to terms with the Gordini. His only problems was another group of cars, in another class were lapping them about every 4 laps (short track). The other group were 2 very modified Mustangs (race cars) and a similar Torana. But still the smaller cars had great races with each other, and still trying to keep to their lap times.

Graeme had such a busy weekend, by the time his last race was completed,3:30pm, he decided to get on the road back to Perth. He phones me Monday morning, very excited, he had not been checking scores at the track, but on checking when he got to work, he won the Historic Touring Cars Under 3.0Lt. Gordini Strikes Again !!!! He was joined by Mark Duder in his A110 SX.

Gordini Racing !!!-graeme-g-collie-1.jpgGordini Racing !!!-graeme-g-collie-2.jpgGordini Racing !!!-mark-collie.jpg

Ray
    Shoji likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

1000+ Posts

A comment & a question:

The comment is that I gather that people racing these wheels have had issues with cracking around the stud holes (the wheels "flap" under lateral load in the 120° between studs). So, some monitoring & perhaps reinforcement might be advised. There's an easy reinforcement modification which has worked a treat in those of my 14" wheels which have cut-down 15" centres.

The question is: what tyres are being run?

Two traditional possibilities are 155/80 Xas FF & 170/65 TB15, both of which suit 4.5 rims. Another option (which I'd choose) is 155/60 Continental EcoContact3. Or one could fit one of a ( locally small) number of possibilities in 165/65.

My point is that keeping the standard wheels does not automatically mean running what seems to be the default option of 145/80 XZX, which, although updated in both structure & compound from when they were a "current fitment", are hardly an optimal choice, especially if one intends to fang the beastie an a wet road or use it vigorously in the dry on a track-day.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information