Scrap Virage
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By schlitzaugen
  • 2 Post By Stuey

Thread: Scrap Virage

Default Scrap Virage.. (Ed, actually late Series 2, 12)

So what did you do today? I went and rescued.. no mostly just extended a Virage's live by perhaps a week.

Getting her home and throwing a lot of water at her.. Well, she is complete.

I'm going to go through it and save the bits I want, but best start thicking if there is anything your Virgage is after.

It's white. most of the panels are rubbish and I'll be keepnig the good ones. It has that 80's style'd dash that looks more dated then the early stuff, I won't be keeping that, but wierd things like the tool kit pouch, virage hub caps, weather strips etc, we'll I'd be happy for them to be complete someone's "resto"

Advertisement

Idea is is to rip everything off it and call the wreckers to come take the shell away, The race is on because my partner has given me till next sunday

The one panel I was after (right hand side guard) has rust in the top! How the heck did water collect there and not at the bottom? :S oh well. The bonnet appears good too. and althought my car is green white, this white bonnet is closer then the blue. The boot lid is total junk in case that was going to be your next question.

Some horrible picks below.

Oh and what's with these late wheels. Did they really just cut the centres out to fit hub caps? And yes, that spare tyre in the boot is brand new
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scrap Virage-imgp4058.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4057.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4055.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4054.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4053.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4052.jpg  

Scrap Virage-imgp4051.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4050.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4049.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4048.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4047.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4046.jpg  

Scrap Virage-imgp4045.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4044.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4043.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4042.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4041.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4040.jpg  

Scrap Virage-imgp4038.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4036.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4035.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4034.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4033.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4026.jpg  

Scrap Virage-imgp4025.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4024.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4022.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4021.jpg   Scrap Virage-imgp4019.jpg  
    Last edited by bowie; 3rd April 2016 at 11:07 PM.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

That particular car is actually a 12 1.4 ( and a Series 2 1.4 at that), rather than a Virage (which has four headlights), although given its number it is one of the final 12 1.4s assembled.

The guard rusts at the top, as it has a modified drain tube for the plenum, which holds mud behind it rather than the earlier long drain tube, which holds the mud in the bottom portion of the panel (the underseal cracks, letting the moisture in, the tube then holds the mud and moisture in place).

An original tool kit pouch will also be worth at least one concours point to someone!

Also, don't use that locking fuel cap on your car, it is non-vented, your early model 12 requires a vented fuel cap. Those holey wheels also make them easier for tyre places to balance them as well!

Happy scrapping!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

There is not much you don't know about these things is there That makes sense, the rust that is after looking at my earlier 12.

Thank you for the heads up the petrol cap. And good to know about those wheels!

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40

You know, those late model R12 cars were well made with good materials, when you look at them now. We had both 1.4 R12 and Virage models, and they looked the same internally 25 years ago.

The later wheels make much more sense, as Simon pointed out. As he said, happy scrapping.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Scrap Virage-imgp4061.jpgScrap Virage-imgp4060.jpg

Hmmmm 847 Power

Also that master cylinder and booster... it's different to the one in my 71 R12, is this the better one I was looking under 15's and 17's for?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    You know, those late model R12 cars were well made with good materials, when you look at them now. We had both 1.4 R12 and Virage models, and they looked the same internally 25 years ago.

The later wheels make much more sense, as Simon pointed out. As he said, happy scrapping.

I was quite surprised once I gave it a vacuum I mean there are a few things that have been sun tanned.. but the lining on the roof is still intact! :S That never happens.

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4061.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	82616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4060.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	82617

Hmmmm 847 Power

Also that master cylinder and booster... it's different to the one in my 71 R12, is this the better one I was looking under 15's and 17's for?
    That is the latest type master cylinder (with integrated pressure drop indicator), also a dual curcuit type. Whereas the one on your early 12 is (if it is still original) a single circuit master cylinder and lines. The 12 master cylinder has a 19mm bore the 15/17 cylinder has a 20.6mm bore.
    Melc likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Yes the is the one in my 12;

Scrap Virage-booster.jpg

Right. best hang onto those lines as well then.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    That is the latest type master cylinder (with integrated pressure drop indicator), also a dual curcuit type. Whereas the one on your early 12 is (if it is still original) a single circuit master cylinder and lines. The 12 master cylinder has a 19mm bore the 15/17 cylinder has a 20.6mm bore.
    Well, well. It seems they stuck with those particular diameters model after model after model. Quite under-rated, late R12s.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Yeah, I was going to suggest you hang on to the brake bits including the lines themselves and the fittings.

Window seals if in good nick are worth keeping too (or swapping if yours are shite).

If I were closer I would ask for the front seats.

The front end plastics are remarkably well preserved as well. Not only that everything is there, but they seem in very good shape.

I think you've got quite a few good bits hanging on that girl.
    JohnW likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Bowie,
    Would you take a picture of the windscreen wiper motor please. and post it. I presume this is a lever actuator for the wipers ???

Thanks
    Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Will do ray.

Yes I suppose they are lever driven, I wasn't able to lift either of them far off the windshield when I was cleaning it earlier. This is what you mean by lever driven?

Scrap Virage-smwhip.jpg

And sorry Schlitzaugen, Those front seats are for me. Both mind are saaaaaaaaaged. I didn't realise the covers look like they upzip off the body. I might be able to dress this good foam in my green leather! HUZAH!

Oh and these things have retractable seatbelts. Luxury!

He means the arms that actuate it - probably behind the dash or perhaps in the scuttle area.
    The pics may have to be taken as you strip it
    KB

Ah yes yes. I thought the exterior arm itself would give away if that was the model he was chasing, as they are different to my early 12.

They're all lever actuated, how else? the motor is under the dash, on the Virage might be a bit better hidden, but still the same jobbie.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Just look under the passenger dash area. Voile!! Wiper motor. I have this exact car as a one owner, if I were not in Bris, it would be beer and spanners at dawn....
    4's 16's and Caravelle

So, shall I bring my duelling stubby holder?

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Bowie,
    Would you take a picture of the windscreen wiper motor please. and post it. I presume this is a lever actuator for the wipers ???

Thanks
    Ray

This thing?

Scrap Virage-imgp4064.jpg

Hi Bowie,
    When you get to this, I would like you to earmark for me please, with the arm that rotates on the drive spindle.

PM me the price please.

Thanks,
    Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

1000+ Posts

I once reached up under the dash of my R12 while the wipers were on. That's how I found they were lever driven. Almost scissor chopped my fingers off, between the pivot of the levers. Rather sore, that was...
    jaahn and chodaboy like this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Hi Bowie,
    When you get to this, I would like you to earmark for me please, with the arm that rotates on the drive spindle.

PM me the price please.

Thanks,
    Ray
    Will do Ray.

Why would you want that piece of a dorongo? Don't mean to take business away from our dear bowie, but those motors are horribly inefficient, unreliable and weak. You can use almost any motor, just need to re-drill the holes in the mounting bracket. From foggy memory an E30 BMW motor fits two of the hole, so you only need to re-drill one, is slender and a lot more powerful. My plan is when mine carks it, I am going to use a Prius motor. Those things can swing a wiper the size of South America.

1000+ Posts

A Prius motor would work, but it's fitting the batteries in that will be a challenge. But boy, those wipers will WIPE!

Seriously though, I can't understand why you'd put that much effort in. There are so many more fruitful things to spend your time on. It's not like wiper motors are a common failure point. Keep the spindles and pivots lubricated and Bob's your uncle.
    Last edited by Stuey; 5th April 2016 at 01:22 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information