Who has driven the 3 cylinder current Clio?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Who has driven the 3 cylinder current Clio?

Default Who has driven the 3 cylinder current Clio?

Am seriously considering getting one new or demo. Need a car, want new or newish so I can simply ignore it on the days I'm not using it, and kinda like the idea of having a little engine to wring the neck off.

Advertisement

Am massively time poor but not too bad cash wise, so want simple and easy and hassle free...

Is it completely gutless and floppy, or is it what I hope and a modern version of an R10 and fun to drive with the pedal to floor at all times?

I haven't driven one, but if it's anywhere near as much fun as the old Daihatsu Charade three potter it will be great. With a Turbo as well! If you are taking one for a test drive, like all modern Renaults make sure it's got plenty of Km's up!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Fellow Frogger!

I have driven one and thought it went and handled much better that you had any right to expect from the spec.If you want a small.cheap fun car it would be at the top of my list especially one a year or so old with heaps of warranty left.

Amazing performance and reminded me of my old R10's and R12's in the sense of fun and durability.Well worth a look.

Good luck.

Peter.
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Hello

sorry for my English

I have this engine in our Twingo III, have a look here --> Hi from France -- New renault Twingo III 0.9L TCE 90HP

this engine is fun to drive, you feel the action of the turbo et the noise is cool !!! you hear "pshhhhhhht" when you accelerate and if you take the dual clutch gearbox, the box autmatically give and "coup de gaz" when it down a gear when you are breaking.
    this engine give you the impression to have more torck than you normaly have.

You have also a "eco mode", it give the impression that the turbo don't work ..... we never activate this mode

Petrol consumption --> between 7 and 8 L/100km in the city, Under 6L/100km on road.
    Haakon likes this.
    Suis-je le seul français du forum ?

1000+ Posts

I have driven one. The performance was better than I had expected, including on hills, as was the transmission generally. I was driving in the city/suburbs, so can't warrant the twisties or highway driving. I loathed the look of it and the interior, but you may differ there.

The 3 pot C4 is much nicer.

Fellow Frogger!

Default try a different flavour?

I know this will piss many people off, but.....

VW Up!

Got one - 2 door.
    Cheap as chips.
    Really is a tardis inside - especially the 2 door.
    Revs like crazy - downside - no torque.
    Should be able to pick one up for under $10K

Does the economy thing or revs its head off all day - very musical.

Drove a demo about 18 months ago. Tardy of the mark, but once moving not that bad. Finished up getting a 3 cyl, Fiesta, a much more enjoyable drive.

Terry

I just couldn't look at that fiesta dashboard... Current ford interiors are awful.

Test will be how well my mountain bike goes in the back...

Wonder easily the motor can be chipped or the boost wound up!

Ah that is a good test right there

If the engines are cheap enough, by all means wind the boost up, lets us know when it goes bang.

I had a 3cly Charade back in my youth.. I have a unnatural love for 3cyl things, I'm looking at you Triumph Speed Triple.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Bugger, they have to have the clamp on roof racks that interfere with the door seal... Megane is a bolt on one.

Kayak carrying will also be on its duty list...

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post

If the engines are cheap enough, by all means wind the boost up, lets us know when it goes bang.
    apparently theyre quite easy to chip and up the boost on. and we all know reno motors will take a lot of abuse before going pop!

The major problems with turbos and small engines is that at low revs the exhaust isn't flowing enough to spool up the turbo.

So the low end torque/ power is not that brilliant.

Add a clutched super charger and the problem is solved.

Of course the trade off is extra complexity and potential service.

For me, the Clios drive very well but are low in head height, have limited rear vision and require body contortion to get in and out of.
    I accept the last item is an age related factor.

The point of such a purchase is that I dont have to tinker with it... It has cruise and a nice cabin for The Hume, and a need for the occasional oil change being the only thing I need to do for a few years, especailly as I do bugger all kms a year in cars.

I might put better speakers in it, but maybe not as I tend to listen to Radio National in the car more than anything.

Not easily taking my mountain bike in the back with the seats down is a deal breaker though...

2012 Skoda Fabia RS 132TSI Auto MY12

A wagon with plenty of room and plenty of performance with this one. Need to check the engine recall items have been attended to, if it has a Cave engine. It well may have CTHE engine in which case it is free of issues.

Or look at a megane hatch which should fit a bike comfortably.
    cam740 likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

My sister has had one for over a year now .... not my cuppa tea .... you need to rev it if you need to move off the line in a hurry ... it's a tiny capacity engine off boost otherwise. It'll drive you bloody crazy turning itself off for no reason. I haven't driven it much, but it seems to drive and handle really nicely.

I reckon a clio sport or megane 225 or similar would be a lot more fun

It has a stupid card key that'll probably break just out of warranty and .... did I meniton the bloody thing will switch itself off ?? What a PITA .... If I wanted a car switched off I'd do it myself
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I would struggle to go back to a normal key - have had the keycard/button in the megane for a few years now and its brilliant.

And the stop/start function would absoluelty be diabled...

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    I would struggle to go back to a normal key - have had the keycard/button in the megane for a few years now and its brilliant.

And the stop/start function would absoluelty be diabled...
    Funny you should say that. When we purchased our wagon, the key was a plus, because of the lack of complexity, ease of replacement from nearly anywhere.

Not forgetting the fact that keys have served me, with near 100% reliability for the last 45 years.

And I don't like being locked into expensive, complicated, propriety systems which do the job no better than a simple key switch.

It's just a button and a chip reader, most modern keys have transponder readers in them anyway. In fact, with no physical lock barrel there is less to go wrong!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It's just a button and a chip reader, most modern keys have transponder readers in them anyway. In fact, with no physical lock barrel there is less to go wrong!
    How do you carry a big square card in your pocket instead of a small key
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

How much does it cost to replace ? I can duplicate the key and chip for $60. Provided I have working sample for the locksmith.

I'm not sold on this so called "convenience" technology. Just as I'm prepared to dip my head lights manually and turn the wipers on and off as required.

And abhor touch screen control of basic driver functions. Which involve you taking eyes off the road.

Fellow Frogger!

Have test driven a Peugeot 308 with the 3 cylinders and 6 speed auto, quite unreal for such a small engine. The idle was the only giveaway. No lag and go go go.

meh, im not going to decide on a car based on a couple of hundred either way on a part that very rarely fails. My Megane keys have been through the washing machine and survived ok.

I like it though - you get in, slide the card in and tap the button in one movement. Then you're putting your belt on while the car just starts itself. It totally works.

Auto lights I like too, auto wipers are less good. At least on the Megane, the wipers are a bit slow to react so often have to over ride it.

Anyway, last day of 0% finance today, so put a refundable deposit on a white one in Melbourne (zero interest in paying Canberra prices for cars or rego...). Will do the maths to work out if application fee outweighs the interest I'll earn leaving the cash in savings, and on Saturday see how I like the reality of driving it hard with a mountain bike in the back.
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    I know this will piss many people off, but.....

VW Up!

Got one - 2 door.
    Cheap as chips.
    Really is a tardis inside - especially the 2 door.
    Revs like crazy - downside - no torque.
    Should be able to pick one up for under $10K

Does the economy thing or revs its head off all day - very musical.
    Just a bit too small... And no cruise control. I know, but I have a crappy right hip and long drives hurt if I have to hold the throttle in one position too long - and the Canberra/Melbourne run is a ****ing long drive....

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    No touch screen on the base model ;-)

I find out what my Tesla Model 3 looks like tomorrow - in the 5 years or so I plan to get it... Have like yourself wondered how good it is - there is value in tactile controls you can use without really looking at them.

Its weird - any car with any amount of size and/or power I just couldn't be arsed dealing with a manual. But a revvy little motor in a little car that begs to be thrashed is fun.

Must be a product of those years hooning around Melbourne in R10s....

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information