• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 2 Post By COL

Thread: RDA Brakes, Protex?

Default RDA Brakes, Protex?

Ebay searches is stumbling upon discs made by these guys;

RDA Brakes

Namely; Renault Virage 1 4 1976 1980 Front Disc Brake Rotors DR345 Pair | eBay

And these things by Protex? Renault 17 R17 TL TS Gordini 1973 1976 Front Disc Brake Rotors DR343 Pair | eBay

Advertisement

Has anyone had any experience with any of these? I don't suppose there is anything really too difficult about a rotor..

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

COL

I have bought disc rotors off Ebay before and not had any problems, although I have not bought from that seller.

Their feedback is pretty good, use Paypal to pay and you should be pretty safe.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I think I bought from them for the CX. Fine.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Ebay searches is stumbling upon discs made by these guys;

RDA Brakes

Namely; Renault Virage 1 4 1976 1980 Front Disc Brake Rotors DR345 Pair | eBay

And these things by Protex? Renault 17 R17 TL TS Gordini 1973 1976 Front Disc Brake Rotors DR343 Pair | eBay

Has anyone had any experience with any of these? I don't suppose there is anything really too difficult about a rotor..
    I've used RDA (Rotor Disk Australia) almost exclusively on a number of vehicles from Toyota Vans to Audi A3s and Honda Accords.

I've never had a moments problems with quality or compatibility and the pricing is excellent.

I've used EBC pads made by the same people too. Although the pads can be pricey- but premium quality.

I buy them through my local brake trade outlet . Better Brakes
    addo likes this.

The R17's and R12 rotors aren't the same.
    If memory serves, the R17's are ventilated discs and the R12's a solid discs.
    If you're going to use a R17 disc on a 12 you'll probably need a different (wider) caliper and it may not bolt up to the existing holes on the back plate. Check the dimensions before you buy.
    Others may have R17 discs on a 12 so would be have better knowledge of what's involved.

But as the rotors on a 12 bolt onto the back of the wheel hub, changing them involves removing the wheel hub.
    Not a half hour job so give yourself plenty of time.

Cheers
    Ren

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

I confess that was going to be a future question. But knowing parts exist at the moment locally, and that they are ok, is a bonus

For those that install the vented brakes from 17's onto 12's, are you able to bolt the rotor onto the existing 12 hub, and use the mounting point for the 12 calliper with a 17 calliper? Or is it find some 15 / 17 hubs for this to all work.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

COL

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    I confess that was going to be a future question. But knowing parts exist at the moment locally, and that they are ok, is a bonus

For those that install the vented brakes from 17's onto 12's, are you able to bolt the rotor onto the existing 12 hub, and use the mounting point for the 12 calliper with a 17 calliper? Or is it find some 15 / 17 hubs for this to all work.
    You will need the R15Ts/17TL hubs; calliper brackets; callipers as these different from the R12.

The easiest way to to find a R15TS or R17TL that is being sold of because it is to rusty or been in a serious accident and cost to much to repair and you will have all the parts for all the conversions, motor, brakes and suspension.
    addo and bowie like this.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

I've also used RDA discs and they're fine.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    You will need the R15Ts/17TL hubs; calliper brackets; callipers as these different from the R12.

The easiest way to to find a R15TS or R17TL that is being sold of because it is to rusty or been in a serious accident and cost to much to repair and you will have all the parts for all the conversions, motor, brakes and suspension.
    I don't recall R12 brakes being less than very adequate? Track use perhaps not but.....

Just curious, why bother?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

I have been told by a locally known R12 competitor from years past that the rear drums from an R12 station wagon or R15/17TL are actually better than the rear discs on the R17TS/G's when fitted to the R12/17 range of vehicles. Especially for hand brake turns. In Australia where we don't have the continuous use like in European Alpine rallies perhaps they would be ok. I have to say I did not heed his advice and I fitted rear discs to my R12. Never noticed any difference between the drums and disc rears for normal use even on the track. The events were probably too short to heat them up enough to introduce fade. But if you change the engine to an 807/844 then the law would require the fitment of the brakes that was fitted to the car the engine came from. Even if a hot Sierra motor was fitted I'd definitely up rate the brakes to at least vented front discs and wagon drums, just to be on the safe side. If you inadvertently killed someone I am sure the law would not be on your side if you haven't up rated them.

In QLD back 20 years ago there was a Dept of Tpt bulletin that said what was required to up rate an R12 to R15/17 motor and basically you had to change all the different suspension bits and brakes to those on the donor car.

I have RDA discs on my R17TS and they have been fine.
    Last edited by Sunroof; 29th March 2016 at 09:55 PM.

1000+ Posts

I once towed a trailer full of concrete slabs with my R12 wagon. One stop and the brakes said, 'I'm out of here wheels, you coming?'

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I don't recall R12 brakes being less than very adequate? Track use perhaps not but.....

Just curious, why bother?
    In a couple of words brake fade.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

By the way the R17TS/G has a large double acting vacuum unit. The R12 has a small single acting unit. I should also say the R17TS/G brakes are as good as any modern car requiring only a feather touch to operate the brakes. They must have been a revolution back in the early 1970's.

Thread Information