• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By REN TIN TIN

Thread: Fuego Mirrors

Default Fuego Mirrors

Hey everyone,
    Haven't been here for a long time, been more interested in my R1100RT BMW and have neglected the poor Fuego. Was going to get rid of it, but every time I took it for a drive I decided to keep it for a bit longer. It's mainly cosmetic issues that it has due to being out in the weather a lot, so I've decided to clean it up a bit. I thought I wouldn't have too many problems, but struck one straight away. The exterior mirrors are rusty and I have some spares, but they have changed the way the remote control lever connects to the cover inside the door between the '84 and '85 models. The later ones have a plastic end piece [cheaper] and I can't see how to get them apart without breaking it. The older metal ones just pull out easily. Anyone have any ideas?
    Cheers, Papster

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Perhaps a picture might assist in identifying the difference, not familiar with the metal plate? all mirrors are easy to remove, but yours may be different.

It's not a metal plate Ken, it"s just the end piece that the cables connect to with the silver toggle on the end that moves the glass in different directions. I'll try to post a couple of pictures this afternoon.

grub screw??
    Kenfuego likes this.

Looks like the first owner had trouble with the passenger side mirror as the control knob has been glued in to the door trim panel on the interior side. I had to waste it find out why it wouldn't pull out. Hope the other side is not the same or I'll be searching for parts

Hi, I have another couple of questions with the Fuego. Firstly the heater motor and fans in the plenum chamber don't seem to be secured to anything apart from holding it in place with the top cover. It isn't very secure and hits the edge of the upper and lower half casing when running. Am I missing something?
    Secondly, the push button ventilation and heating controls are a bit hit and miss. The stop button only works if you hold it in and then goes to AC when you let it go. All three buttons on the left go to the screen, and as of today the vent button 2nd from the right only goes to the screen as well. I've checked the archives but it's still a mystery to me. Would appreciate some advice if possible.
    Thanks, Papster

If memory serves, the heater controls on the Fuego work on vacuum.
    If they're not working properly there's a good chance you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the system.
    The tubes are 30+ years old so they could have gone hard and either have cracks in them or don't seal properly.
    The selector switch could also be leaking internally leading to incorrect settings.
    The selector is just as old as the rest of the car and the seals inside could have perished or gone hard.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

I think you will find there are a couple of securing bolt/nuts to the aircon unit inside the car if you look around there. Long time since I removed one.

Ken

Thanks guys, how difficult is it to get at the switches behind the dash? Won't get a chance to have a go at it until after Easter now. All the best, Papster

1000+ Posts

Default I yeild to Haakon he has been there and looked etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Papster View Post
    Thanks guys, how difficult is it to get at the switches behind the dash? Won't get a chance to have a go at it until after Easter now. All the best, Papster
    Not sure, Haakon pulled a few of them apart in the early days to see what makes them work and I think he found that it was better to find a working set that could be ripped out at pick-a-part. I inherited from Haakon lots of assorted plastic bits that never went back together it seems.

Now if that exercise challenge failed Haakon in those glorious Fuego days of experiment and learning, who am I to recommend anything different. I followed his general principle, probably could be called Haakon's law now if I have correctly interpreted his advice.

I wonder if he dares to remember those heady days.

So many other interests intervene.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Papster View Post
    not difficult at all.

Thread Information