• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By p10ppy
  • 1 Post By Sarosa

Thread: 16 ts special

Tadpole

Default 16 ts special

Having owned a GOLD 16 TS Special (1976) I believe they only came in (mostly) gold and a few bronze.They were cobbled up from bits of 16 TX and there was rarely one the same...mine had a rear wiper....however I believe they all had driving lights on a bar (like the TS of the previous couple of years) and they all had tombstone seats which my memory says were tan with "tannish" cloth inserts (irrespective of gold/bronze external colour). I do not recall silver ones, but there may have been one...I had owned 2 X 16 TS before the Special, and sadly I have recently my 30 TX to a good home in SA. The prompt for this info was a silver Special advertised for sale here, and looking back to a bronze one sold a few years back....neither had driving lights??

Advertisement

Our first 16TS Special was deep metallic green with Biode headlamps, with a hydraulic adjustment knob on the dash (and no external spots).

Tan velour and vinyl tombstone seats and a TX steering wheel. All had the special steel road wheels I think.

Our bronze one sold (again) a few years back to a new owner in Melbourne - very original and with Biodes and no spotlamps.

Lovely cars....

Quote Originally Posted by david ellison View Post
    Having owned a GOLD 16 TS Special (1976) I believe they only came in (mostly) gold and a few bronze.They were cobbled up from bits of 16 TX and there was rarely one the same...mine had a rear wiper....however I believe they all had driving lights on a bar (like the TS of the previous couple of years) and they all had tombstone seats which my memory says were tan with "tannish" cloth inserts (irrespective of gold/bronze external colour). I do not recall silver ones, but there may have been one...I had owned 2 X 16 TS before the Special, and sadly I have recently my 30 TX to a good home in SA. The prompt for this info was a silver Special advertised for sale here, and looking back to a bronze one sold a few years back....neither had driving lights??
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The gold TS Specials were the "market test" versions sold from 1974, these had the alloy grille with the separate Cibie driving lights on the bar. The 1976 versions were available in a greater range of metallic paint colours and were also fitted with the black plastic grilles and Kangaroo headlights.
    Melc likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thanks Simon. I had no idea of that - certainly I've never seen one.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

As the present owner of the silver special,
    I thought I'd upload some photographs of us doing work on it over the years, I meant to do this earlier but never seemed to get around to it
    Flickr Album
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/p10ppy...35421990/page1
    Cheers
    Vernon
    J-man likes this.

R16s are rather lovely...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Tadpole

Default R16 TS Special

Quote Originally Posted by p10ppy View Post
    As the present owner of the silver special,
    I thought I'd upload some photographs of us doing work on it over the years, I meant to do this earlier but never seemed to get around to it
    Flickr Album
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/p10ppy...35421990/page1
    Cheers
    Vernon
    I take my hat off to you...how can you bear to part with it??
    DE

Taken from Australian Motor Manual, September 1975. ďGordini sports wheels, a set of driving lights, a special Phillips stereo cassette tape recorder-radio with twin rear speakers, a roof mounted aerial, exclusive gold metallic paint, side protection stripes, power windows (front only) and cloth inserts for the seats.Ē
    The above list was pointed out as the differences between the special and a standard 16TS. The Special was essentially taking a few bits and cues from the newly released 16TX which was released in Europe in 1973/74. The TX was never produced in Australia at the Heidelberg factory, mainly because of the 1647cc motor taking the car into a different regulatory category where compliance costs would be high Ė given that the 16 had already been in Australia for 7 years. My understanding was that the first 20 were in the Gold Special paint and then in 1976, Specials were pretty much released in any of the colour range.

Tadpole

Default 16 TS Special

Quote Originally Posted by Sarosa View Post
    Taken from Australian Motor Manual, September 1975. ďGordini sports wheels, a set of driving lights, a special Phillips stereo cassette tape recorder-radio with twin rear speakers, a roof mounted aerial, exclusive gold metallic paint, side protection stripes, power windows (front only) and cloth inserts for the seats.Ē
    The above list was pointed out as the differences between the special and a standard 16TS. The Special was essentially taking a few bits and cues from the newly released 16TX which was released in Europe in 1973/74. The TX was never produced in Australia at the Heidelberg factory, mainly because of the 1647cc motor taking the car into a different regulatory category where compliance costs would be high Ė given that the 16 had already been in Australia for 7 years. My understanding was that the first 20 were in the Gold Special paint and then in 1976, Specials were pretty much released in any of the colour range.
    It would thus appear that after the initial gold ones (as I had) driving lights were deleted for the later models
    DE

It would thus appear that after the initial gold ones (as I had) driving lights were deleted for the later models
    DE
    I've got a feeling that by 1976 if they had TX rims, a stereo in them and side protection strips at the point of sale, they were sold as Specials. Maybe the adjustable headlamps too, as that system can be seen on the silver one for sale and was the system used on the TX, albeit adjusting a different headlight set up.

Well, replaced by Cibie biodes anyway.

I'm feeling nostalgic again...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

The RCCV sold a 1974 Gold Special a few years back. I'm not sure who bought it but at the time I saw a one page letter from Renault saying how special it was. Maybe the new owner could scan and post it up. Here are some photo's of that car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16 ts special-imga0868.jpg   16 ts special-imga0869.jpg   16 ts special-imga0871.jpg   16 ts special-imga0872.jpg   16 ts special-imga0874.jpg  

The RCCV sold a 1974 Gold Special a few years back. I'm not sure who bought it but at the time I saw a one page letter from Renault saying how special it was. Maybe the new owner could scan and post it up. Here are some photo's of that car.
    From memory the above car had been repainted and was not quite the original gold colour. You can see the photo in the engine bay, up on the firewall the colour is a more lighter gold. You can see on the dash, the extra switches for the electric windows where the TS badge goes. Also note the aerial on the roof. They really should have changed the front panel over to the TX type with the quad lights and added the TX spoiler and 5 speed gearbox and just left the TS engine. I think it's sales life in Australian may have extended out to 1979 if they had of done that.
    Last edited by Sarosa; 23rd March 2016 at 08:28 PM.
    JohnW likes this.

I think it's sales life in Australian may have extended out to 1979 if they had of done that.
    There was consideration by Renault Australia to introduce the Swedish spec R1156 (sold as a 16TL and 16TS) as that model would have complied with the impending ADR27A emission rules. But it would appear that it was going to be too expensive to further make the car compliant with the side intrusion, child restraint and other required ADRs of the era. Also the 30TS was under consideration at the time as well, then rapidly changing Government policies and adverse exchange rates got in the way and delayed the later models.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

The RCCV one was bought by a local member who does some restoration work. I believe it got a respray and clean up and was sold interstate. I think it went to Tassie. That was a ripping car to drive. It originally came from a lovely elderly couple in Paynesville that just wanted to see it live on - and live on it has.
    Cheers..Paul

BTW Steve are you wrecking any 16TS's? I just bought one and need the bar that goes across the engine bay (guard to guard under the spare wheel) to hold the spare wheel.
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    The RCCV one was bought by a local member who does some restoration work. I believe it got a respray and clean up and was sold interstate. I think it went to Tassie. That was a ripping car to drive. It originally came from a lovely elderly couple in Paynesville that just wanted to see it live on - and live on it has.
    Cheers..Paul

BTW Steve are you wrecking any 16TS's? I just bought one and need the bar that goes across the engine bay (guard to guard under the spare wheel) to hold the spare wheel.
    Yes I'll have a spare one of those. It's a good time to ask for spare parts as I'm having a big cleanout. PM or call me.

Tadpole

Default 16 TS special

Now I feel happier about my comments re driving lights (and tan cloth trim)....I transitioned to a !7 (plein air) and no doubt took my mind off the ball regarding the post gold Specails

Tadpole

oops..specials!!

Yes I'll have a spare one of those. It's a good time to ask for spare parts as I'm having a big cleanout. PM or call me.
    The old problem isn't it! I prefer not to think about what probably happened to the huge stash of parts that went with our 16TS Special to its next owner. I'll bet they didn't get to Shepparton, let alone Melbourne......
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information