another renault for the stable
  • Register
  • Help

Default another renault for the stable

g'day guys/gals,
    managed to acquire a 10 through the RCCQ, looks as if it is a 10 with 10S dash - original colour was Bordeaux Red, current colour is - not saying!!!
    haven't had a real good look under for rust yet, upholstery is wrecked, been sitting for a while so discs have surface rust - tyres fitted are HUGE 80 series, the front ones have been rubbing on the inner guards, so 4 new tyres on The List - haven't managed to start it yet but note from owner states " hard to start, backfires, misses and blows - wait for it - black smoke" + carby has been dismantled and re-installed 'several' times + battery won't hold charge (it was dry), generator may not be working"
    at the moment - on jacks, wheels off, shopping for brake pads for all 4 wheels
    from my perspective, getting a car to run (especially one as simple mechanically as this) comes down to two factors = 1 fuel, 2 spark - ain't nuthin else!another renault for the stable-r10athome.jpg
    I'm all ears here, folks - my first instinct is to remove the carby and check it carefully, then re-install, new oil, fresh petrol (98 + valve saver?), check spark THEN try to start it
    BP

Advertisement

Is this the one recently on Fleabay?

People are frequently now so unfamiliar with carbed cars that setting dwell correctly is one of my first checks.

1000+ Posts

Hi Boleropilot
    Good find lots of things to keep you off the street. Probably the carby but there are some possibilities elsewhere.
    Fuel pump diaphram failed and the sump is full of petrol, which is being sucked in the breather system ! How's that for a starter.

I would remind you that your statement
    "factors = 1 fuel, 2 spark - ain't nuthin else!
    is very understated and incorrect.

You forget mechanical integrity which may be assumed if it was only just perviously going well, but not for an unknown mystery vehicle. Even less if 'someone' has been 'at it' also
    Good luck and remember double check every thing. It is faster in the long run.
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Your car maybe a 10S, things to check, 1/2 inch wider wheels, 10S steering wheel, different carby, they are the most noticeable differences. Be good if it was, however my R10 is the same colour as yours, although standard. Pic attached. You will notice that I have installed R10S steering wheel.
    another renault for the stable-photo-1-8-.jpganother renault for the stable-photo-2rr10.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RENOSPRITE View Post
    Your car maybe a 10S, things to check, 1/2 inch wider wheels, 10S steering wheel, different carby, they are the most noticeable differences. Be good if it was, however my R10 is the same colour as yours, although standard. Pic attached. You will notice that I have installed R10S steering wheel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (8).jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	81589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2RR10.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	81590
    8 port head instead of 6 port also hints at 10S engine.

I think the quickest and easiest way to tell a real one from a fake is the choke lever on the floor.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

Yea David forgot about that..

The wheels in the first pic just look to be normal 4" to me, and the badge on the guard doesn't look to have the S on it.
    Floor mounted choke and dual barrel weber are the most obvious 10S things to check apart from dash and wheels when looking for a 10S - why would someone go backwards from those intentionally? It would also have an alternator not a generator, and a different engine number code of course. Std 10 would be 688-02 from memory. 10S has a different suffix.

A lot of things can be changed over the last 40+ yrs of course.

Post some more interior and engine bay pics and we could possibly help further if needed.

From my experience picking up old R10's that have been sat sitting, very few fail to fire with a good battery (even with stale fuel). I had a 10 sit in my driveway for nearly 5 yrs. Every now and then I'd have to start it to move it every few months (some times six months apart). Fired on the first or second go with no outside assistance. That supports Jaahn's comment about starting from first principles and assume nothing. They are normally pretty easy to get going.

Edit - spent too long typing, obviously!
    KB

1000+ Posts

He He He you have caught the bug Boleropilot. First an R16 and now an R10. Next comes a shed full a spare bits for them. Then a Dauphine and then a 4 CV and before you know it you have 23......................
    The engine of a 10S is 688 - 09. I have one in the shipping container. Probably not a goer though. I have a rusty floor pan with the choke hole and probably still have the choke lever. I also have instruments, manifolds, carby, and steering wheel. I might have a air filter but not sure of that. Peter Kent got the gearbox, badges and rear discs with the strengthening. Bruce got the rims that were any good he has 4 I think. They have special hub caps I have been told although I didn't ever notice that mine were different to normal ones. Fun isn't it.

sorry for the delay in getting back to alla youse, some silly old bugger forgot to tick "notify me of replies" - fixed. I'll start from the top of the replies - not the one on eBay, that one is much nicer - oil on dipstick is black and old, doesn't give me any confidence about "maintenance" - no petrol in there methinks - will find out when I change the oil/filter - motor is 68802 and has the Solex carby - hey Sunroof, I should have known you'd have parts for the 10 - talk to you about that when I (finally) bring your trailer back! I'm particularly interested in the carby and hubcaps, and depending on 'outcomes', the 10S motor...

the previous owner is not a Renaultphile and basically had to stop spending workshop costs on keeping the lil baby running - he did want to make sure it was either restored or used for parts, didn't want to see it wrecked for steel after a long family history - as such it was a giveaway, we settled on $10 so there was a record of changing hands (apparently an issue for future registration?) and I insisted in throwing in a very nice bottle of red

watch this space - hey David Cavanagh, pls PM me for parts for the 10 and my 16

BP

forgot to mention - I'm sure I read some posts here somewhere about a 10 with the 10S dash fitted - maybe a few of these around?
    BP

Thread Information