Renault Captur
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jo proffi

Thread: Renault Captur

Default Renault Captur

I have a Captor 1.2 petrol, could any advise the type of engine oil that i should use, its a 2015 build regards
    Jacinta.

Advertisement

Doesn't it state that in the first few pages of the owners handbook???

Jo

Jacinta,

Hope this helps.

Dave
    Last edited by 68 404; 8th March 2016 at 05:44 PM. Reason: LOM
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Hi jo, you are right on except the type of engine oil and brand, however if you happen to find an ELF go for it, you are advised the litttle bastards hide, or perhaps some other male has another idea.
    thanks regards Jacinta

1000+ Posts

This mob distributes ELF in Victoria - Peak Lubricants Supplier of Industrial and Commercial Grade Oils. They would know where you can get that brand down your way.

Note that in order to maintain the warranty on the car, the specification of the oil must be exactly as specified in the vehicle documentation. That specification relates not only to the oil grade, but also to the ACEA or API specification as will be outlined in the vehicle warranty and maintenance documentation.

If something does go wrong during the warranty period that can be traced back to an incorrect oil specification, Renault will potentially deny any warranty claims. So please check the required oil specifications carefully, both in the vehicle documentation and on the oil that you purchase in the shops.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Hi Simon and all others went to the dealer to day to buy 1 ltr of "ELF" evolution 900 sxr 5W40 full syntheric on the bottle it states designed for renault. so all is well.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Jacinta. I guess its a bit like asking a barber if you need a haircut. Do you like your Captur? I guess you do, otherwise you would not have purchased it. Do you consider that the 1.2Lt engine has enough performance for your driving? Is yours an auto? What type of driving do you do? short urban runs or highway driving at 100/110kmh?

I have commenced looking at a replacement vehicle for Mrs Whippet. She like the compact SUV category so I have thought about the Captur, also the Peugeot 2008 and 4008. She is a bit of a snob and wont even consider Japanese or Korean vehicles. So Jacinta, I would be interested in your comments.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Jacinta,

Hope this helps.

Dave
    Que?

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Que?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

I just had a look through the capture owners manual and to my surprise it does not list the oul weigh and instead asks you to refer to different document.
    It took a while to realise that nowher in the book does it show the correct grade of oil.... But in the process of looking at what seemed like relevant chapters i discovered i have to be very carfull changing hot engine oil to avoid burning myself.
    Who'd have thought?? Lucky they warned me.

Jo
    Whippet likes this.

1000+ Posts

We bought a new 307 ten years ago, and the Pug manual was the same (actually I think there was a sticker under the bonnet that was more helpful).

When I asked for advice (in the Peugeot forum of course) some know-all gave the same useless advice (RTFM) . Of course none of this can be proven, as a result of GoDaddy's very thorough house-cleaning a few years later, so I could be making this up.

Moral of story? If modern car owners seem a bit lacking in self-reliance, then maybe it's not altogether their fault when the manufacturer won't trust them with such seemingly basic info!

Cheers

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I just had a look through the capture owners manual and to my surprise it does not list the oul weigh and instead asks you to refer to different document.
    It took a while to realise that nowher in the book does it show the correct grade of oil.... But in the process of looking at what seemed like relevant chapters i discovered i have to be very carfull changing hot engine oil to avoid burning myself.
    Who'd have thought?? Lucky they warned me.

Jo
    Did they also warn you not to pour hot engine oil into your eyes and that the oil is not for human consumption.
    Otherwise someone might use sump oil for eyewash or use it for icecream topping.

But you can't blame the car companies for putting warnings in the manuals that are bleeding obvious.
    There will be some nutcase who will try make a quick buck suing the car companies when they injure themselves and blame the car company for not waring them about what should be obvious to anyone past the nappy stage (exhausts get hot, fan blades will remove digits, petrol is flammable, etc.).
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Apparently tasers don't come with a warning to not use on someone soaked in petrol...

1000+ Posts

Do you think he would have been able to read the instructions? I'm still waiting for the boss man to volunteer to receive of these harmless devices.

But you can't blame the car companies for putting warnings in the manuals that are bleeding obvious.

Nor public transport companies, it seems . I noticed a bus yesterday with a large notice on RHS front , near the drivers window (complete with part number)

"Do not use this window to enter or exit vehicle".

Bleedin' obvious I would have thought

1000+ Posts

I think that sign is compulsory. Climbing in was once something you saw in the depot.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Nor public transport companies, it seems . I noticed a bus yesterday with a large notice on RHS front , near the drivers window (complete with part number)

"Do not use this window to enter or exit vehicle".

Bleedin' obvious I would have thought
    Wasn't that how you got into and out of a locked bus??
    Jo

Default Renault Captur

Hi, all the saga goes on at a time when the i needed real help with real issue, the dipstick told me that the oil was down right to the last notch, i spent many hours looking for this special engine oil that was only at DEALERS in my case so i called a dealer I was advised to get some full synth oil any brand and get to the dealer who would replace the correct oil I did do that at the cost of a two hour trip x2 the special Renault OIL,and the dealer advised that I should get a 2Ltr bottle of special oil from the spare parts shop Renault of cause I have a receipt I paid for 2 bottles of special Renault oil that is only available from the dealer. when I got home Judy had collected some letter junk had a look as usual and on the first page it had several items in regard to OIL one item pointed out about Full Synth had ALL the marking as set out ie 5W-40 ACEA A3/B4 API SN/CF EXACTLY as some other special oil. what concerns me and Jacinta when we go bush and can't get service never mind problems, I have a drivers side door that will not close unless one SLAMS the door, what is the problem with simple service like OIL and oil filter how to do,as for getting service how about stains on the rear seats, on delivery mud under the Rear
    both right hand door and left side, as for the tec in my view its just another con by some dealers, sure we have no right to infringe, as for the 'CAPTUR' it is a very good car however the DEALERS and RENAULT. RENAULT get off your game and fix it, said JUDY

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Wasn't that how you got into and out of a locked bus??
    Not everyone leaves their Mercedes unlocked!

Fellow Frogger!

Gee whizz august moon, you certainly relate a litany of grievances. Seems things have really turned sour on you. First of all, don't over complicate things. Unfortunately the matter of oil became over complicated as a result of all the well meant advice here. Any quality oil, preferably full synthetic or a blend that you can readily buy at Super Cheap Auto would have done the trick. It is utter nonsense to say that if you don't use oil from the Renault dealer you will void your warranty. Utter tosh. You have been led down the garden path with the subsequent hassles that you understandably vent in your post above.
    As for the problems created during a visit to the dealer, if I understand your comments correctly, I can only say this, after horrendous and costly personal experiences: stay away from dealers and find a helpful and competent local mechanic, even the 'mobile' kind, and you will be rewarded with proper 'service' at reasonable cost.
    It grieves me to think that your unfavourable experiences so far, through no fault of your own, might have caused you to shy away from the Renault brand in the future.

Thread Information