• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By qmusic
  • 1 Post By leroybrown

Thread: Latitude gone?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Latitude gone?

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been raised already and I was aware of the Fluence leaving the line up some time ago, but I look regularly at the Renault site pretty regularly and now no Latitiude!!

Has it been dropped for good? Does anyone know?

Advertisement

I LOVE mine and my biggest worry has been replacement if it gets written off and there are so few of them around, especially at dealers. Now if it gets written off, in due course I might never be able to have a new one

Mine is a '13 built, '14 first registered car that I bought from Sale in Victoria January or last year. It was ex-Renault and had 5,000ks. It is a white Privilege Diesel. Apparently they had a new one which proved impossible to sell, and my car was exchanged for the new one. It went immediately it appeared on line for an irresistible price including full registration.

It now has 33,000ks and I take it everywhere. It has been up and down the coast, out west in the country and the car gets a brilliant highway range when cruising. I think on the first major run, it got about 1300ks out of the tank but parts were stops in some towns. Without stopping and at a comfortable speed of 100-110k's per hour, I would think the car would get close to 1500 k's out of the tank.

My only issue has been an echo through the Bluetooth when connected to my Iphone 6S. You get the echo at the other end, ie I don't hear it, the other person gets it. Col Crawford have ordered a new microphone, so I will see if this fixes the problem. Apart from that it has been brilliant. Funnily, my previous car a Megane '12 EDC Privilege, had a similar issue with my Samsung Galaxy phone I had at the time. When I moved to an Iphone 5, no echo and drop out's. Weird stuff.

Many compliment me on the Latitude's looks and the later alloys are great, it cruises beautifully and has plenty of power when you need it. There is a slight turbo diesel lag on hard acceleration but the car still hits 100 in under ten seconds. It is very comfy in the front and in the back, is well built, brilliantly equipped, is economical and easy to drive. The servicing plan is good and I have checked out tyres and brake parts - both what you would expect to pay for any mainstream car. Not over the top. Warranty is one of the best on the market.

In Singapore there seems to be a fleet of cabs that are Latitudes and it amazes me how we don't use them here. There is much better boot room than a Camry Hybrid, plenty of rear legroom, price is similar and there seem to be plenty of dealers, and you get the diesel economy. Around town in city traffic, mine gets about 750 kilometres.

It is a great shame to see these cars simple disappear but clearly they are not selling.

Is there a replacement imminent? I notice the new Megane on the Renault site - it looks really nice.

I will be REALLY careful now in mine. Chris Mortimer
    Sunroof likes this.

1000+ Posts

I agree with all you have said, indeed a great car. I wonder why it has been overlooked by the consumer of larger cars? One story was that Renault needed to be able to offer a larger car for the manager so that they could sell Fluence or Megane for the rest of the staff to use. It wasn't a money maker but a market draw. Hence there was no advertising as they didn't really want to sell many. Although I have heard that there was at least 1500 bought to Aust. I wonder if that is true. Mine has done over 40,000 k's with not one issue. A friend has one and he to is wrapped with his car and has no problems in over 30,000k's. Sounds a bit like Fregate's. Norm Wray once told me that 1600 were bought to Australia. Interesting comparison close to 60 years later.

I too agree with everything you've said, but yes, the Latitude is now gone. It was discontinued in 2015, along with the Fluence, for the Australian market and it's replacement, is the Europe only Renault Talisman sedan and wagon. It's only available in LHD markets, so rules it out for us Aussie's.

I've got a 2013 build Privilege diesel too, but in silver and looks great with those alloy wheels. I bought mine from Brighton Renault in Melbourne and then drove it back to Adelaide. It's now got 42,000 on the clock and just had it's 45,000km service and 4 new tyres. When I bought it, it was sold under the diamond advantage program, which came with 2 free services, so as yet, I've yet to pay for a service!

These cars are very underrated cars, but loved by everyone who owns one! It's just a shame Renault Australia didn't put a lot of effort into selling them!
    Last edited by iLaguna; 5th March 2016 at 09:29 AM.
    2016 Holden Astra RS-V 1.6L Turbo Manual Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive

2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Past Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    1995 Renault 19 Alize 1.8L Manual Sedan - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive

Seems the Samsung SM5 is still selling well in Korea! Only around 900,000+ units though.......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

They had a fleet deal with a rental company, I think it was Europcar. A great number of them came onto the market at once, which pretty much decimated resale.

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, I think Budget may have had them too. I remember at one stage many if the ones on the used market made reference to rental companies.

I just got back from a long run down the south coast if NSW and as usual it performed magnificently.

Such a loss and an under-recognised gem of a car. Those of us lucky enough to own one will no doubt be feeling just a tad more precious I'd imagine, knowing they are finished. Chris

Only problem with Latitude is it doesn't look French. In fact if you didn't spot the badge would think it's a Kia.
    cam740 likes this.

1000+ Posts

Actually it has been suggested to me several times that mine looked like a Mercedes. But then don't all modern cars look alike.

Don't know why anyone thinks it should look french, when it is designed and made in samsung land.

Mind you having said that, the veloster with its weird 3 door design looks more french to me than a megane which looks generic jap mazda-ish.

Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 14th March 2016 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
    Only problem with Latitude is it doesn't look French. In fact if you didn't spot the badge would think it's a Kia.
    Good cars though. I saw a Longitude today, to follow very late on Simon's joke of a couple of years ago, but it had a strange badge too. It was "Jeep". Not part owned by Renault any more so what are they doing?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Don't know why anyone thinks it should look french, when it is designed and made in samsung land.

Mind you having said that, the veloster with its weird 3 door design looks more french to me than a megane which looks generic jap mazda-ish.

Jo
    It was not designed in Korea any more than a Megane or Clio was. It was designed by Renault and is produced in their factory in Korea. As previously said by some others here, there is no longer such a thing as a "national" brand, because the product has to compete in and be accepted by many different markets. Were all hoping the new Alpine will be a winner, nonetheless.......
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 15th March 2016 at 12:18 AM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    It was not designed in Korea any more than a Megane or Clio was.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Samsung_SM5

I was just quoting wikipedia.

So it wasn't designed in Korea??
    Oh wait….another reference to being designed in Soul
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/61912/ne...cess-in-korea/

and another…..h
    http://www.automotiveworld.com/news-...-sm5-in-korea/

I had a Lat and put 110k on it over 3 years, buggered if i could ever get over 1000km outta a tank though!

The lag was an issue that i had with it, other than that it was a great cruiser, with plenty of space for the family of 4 of us to go to sydney for a holiday and swallowed bags easily

Thread Information