Renault Australia sales statistic:
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By iLaguna
  • 1 Post By iLaguna
  • 2 Post By JohnW

Thread: Renault Australia sales statistic:

Icon3 Renault Australia sales statistic:

I'm a bit a sales stats guy and I thought I'd put an idea out there to hear people's opinions ...

I'm trying to track down all the sales stats for Renault from when they re-launched in Australia in 2001 to the present. So far I'm been able to get figures from 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. At this stage, they're just total figures and aren't broken down into each model. However, I'm sure if I do some more research and get some single model stats, I'll be able to do a model break down.

I'm happy to start the thread and keep it updated, as I believe it's something that should be kept and noted for future records.

Mod's, what about a sub thread in the Renault in Australia: The Useless Info File?

What do people think??

If anyone else has figure for the years that I'm missing from 2001 to 2008, then please share them. Also, if anyone has years from other periods, them let's share them as well. You can PM me and I'll add it to the list.

Advertisement

2001 - 1,947 Units
    2002 - 4,565 Units
    2003 - 3,178 Units
    2004 - 3,354 Units
    2005 - 3,330 Units
    2006 - ??
    2007 - ??
    2008 - 2,709 Units
    2009 - 2,278 Units
    2010 - 1,778 Units
    2011 - 3,622 Units (Up 38% @ #23)
    2012 - 5,011 Units (Up ?? @ #23)
    2013 - 7,016 Units (Up 40% @ #21)
    2014 - 10,014 Units (Up 43% @ #19)
    2015 - 11,525 Units (Up 15% @ #19) - All new record result.
    2016 - 11,109 Units (Down 3.6% @ #19)
    2017 - 10,812 Units (Down 7.3% @ #18)
    2018 - 10,018 Units
    2019 - ??

I've just updated with years 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005. Have just updated with the 2016 figure.
    Last edited by iLaguna; 4th September 2019 at 11:33 PM.
    2016 Holden Astra RS-V 1.6L Turbo Manual Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive

2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Past Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    1995 Renault 19 Alize 1.8L Manual Sedan - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive

I'm interested in it. I was expecting Renault's sales to drop off a bit in 216 given their pretty substantial price rises on January 1. But sales were up 31.5% on January last year, so it appears they're still doing extremely well. With the new Megane out in October, it will be interesting to see what sort of sales increase they end up with. Whether the new (possibly pricier, but certainly more upmarket) model can keep the momentum going, and whether they have any supply issues running out the old model. 2012 was up 38% on 2011. 2011 was actually up 104% on 2010.

They've pared back a lot of their lower sellers of late. The Fluence and Latitude both left the line-up (along with auto versions of the Trafic), and the Megane CC will no longer exist in the new model. Still their mainstream models are really kicking some goals.

I've read in quite a few articles that they want to ensure their growth is sustainable, and don't want to be in a similar position to VW who's growth has been so big, people can be waiting months for a service, or face potential dealer gouging when a service can be booked in.

It's kind of disappointing that Citroen and Peugeot aren't experiencing some of the same boost that Renault are. Especially given the quality of their line-ups.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    I'm interested in it. I was expecting Renault's sales to drop off a bit in 216 given their pretty substantial price rises on January 1. But sales were up 31.5% on January last year, so it appears they're still doing extremely well. With the new Megane out in October, it will be interesting to see what sort of sales increase they end up with. Whether the new (possibly pricier, but certainly more upmarket) model can keep the momentum going, and whether they have any supply issues running out the old model. 2012 was up 38% on 2011. 2011 was actually up 104% on 2010.

They've pared back a lot of their lower sellers of late. The Fluence and Latitude both left the line-up (along with auto versions of the Trafic), and the Megane CC will no longer exist in the new model. Still their mainstream models are really kicking some goals.

I've read in quite a few articles that they want to ensure their growth is sustainable, and don't want to be in a similar position to VW who's growth has been so big, people can be waiting months for a service, or face potential dealer gouging when a service can be booked in.

It's kind of disappointing that Citroen and Peugeot aren't experiencing some of the same boost that Renault are. Especially given the quality of their line-ups.
    The dealers must really be screaming out for a Koleos replacement. I thought one was due soon?

Yeah. There's been quite a few spy shots of the new Koleos around the place.

Yeah. There's been quite a few spy shots of the new Koleos around the place.
    I was under the impression that the new Koleos will appear late in the third quarter of 2016, with an Australian launch only a few months after that. I believe Renault Australia will be one of the first markets to get it. They'll still be built in South Korea for our market and I've heard there could be a new name.
    DanielBendigo likes this.

Maybe you and I can get something started Daniel?

Regarding Peugeot and Citroen, I'm afraid until they continue to be managed by Sime Darby, they've got no hope! I can't image PSA in France would be willing to let another shocker of a year go by under Sime Darby. If things don't improve dramatically in 2016, then PSA will need to take full factory control and get down to some serious work, if they want to survive in Australia.

As a market, is China geared more towards auto or manual? I wonder if Australia couldn't be more set up more to be in line with the Chinese market?

In the past 5 years i have been lucky enough , thru work, to purchase 2 "new" Renaults (the Latitude with 4k km on it, the RS200EDC Clio with 300 lol) and have to say i have been really impressed with both dealerships i have dealt with (Waverley and Essendon respectively)
    The cars have been faultless, in 110000km the Latitude went back once for an issue that was fixed in a day under warranty, and had no effect on the driveability of the car, and so far, touch wood, the RS200 has been brilliant (apart from the fact it doesnt have the RS Monitor, but they are apparently trying to sort that out for me)
    Renaults are good cars, backed with a brilliant warranty, and the servicing costs i have found to be pretty bloody fair. The cars look good, are comfortable, and both have been economical despite being given some tickle from time to time. I am more than happy to recommend both cars to anyone. (My sister for a Fluence at the same time as my Lat, i won that round for sure!)

Thanks for taking the trouble with this - really appreciated.

I wonder if there is any chance of going back all the way? Be very interesting. I know I've seen 4CV sales numbers from the fifties somewhere in the past - Simon maybe. We know imported Renaults go back to 1900 or a wee bit earlier.
    cam740 and iLaguna like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Interesting to see the spike in sales in years 2002 to 2005 - I suggest that was due to the hugely popular Phase I Scenic - and then they changed its immensely practical and neutral design to the incredibly ugly Phase 2, and see what happened. Nothing! And then they dropped the Scenic altogether. Talk about marketing self sabotage. What a shame.

Regarding the 'new' Koleos: the equivalent new model is the curiously named Kadjar, which is based on the very popular Nissan Qashkai (Dualis to you) and is a runaway seller in Europe. Once again that seems to be good reason not to import it. Instead we will get a bigger version of the Koleos, presumably to match all the other bigger SUV's because to the Australian public bigger is obviously better. Great move seeing that the Koleos name in Australia is about as popular as a turd in the bathtub. Good luck with that! I have already upgraded from my excellent Koleos Expression to the current Bose model because its size suits me perfectly and I love the trim and the gimmicks, and will be keeping that for a while.

very popular Nissan Qashkai (Dualis to you) and is
    As I understand the Qashkai replaces the Dualis and many road test claim the Qashski is far more refined than the Dualis.

Yeah. Happy to keep the post going. I was hoping to assist Renault's sales layer this year indirectly, by buying an ex - demo or near new Clio. But Italy and the Greek Islands are calling my name so my Clio now has a goal of 250,000 klms.

The Koleos is based on the XTrail. We'll continue to get the XTrail based model here. Kadjar is based on Qashqai. Both built on same platform, just different sized also with larger engine in XTrail. Renault say bringing them both on would be too crowded. Works for Nissan.

Where I live there seem to be a reasonable, nay, noticeable smattering of Kolii, now quite thick on the ground compared with other Renault products. Why not? They have been value for money from day one, seem to have very few problems and can actually compete with those flaccid, heavily overrated Japanese offerings. They're even better than the X-Box!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Have you been to Italy and the Greek Islands before? I spent 5 weeks in Italy in 2013, loved it, along with all the car and 'Renault' spotting too! I haven't been to the Greek Islands, but it's on my list. Hoping to get there next year, along with Malta and Croatia.

Spent 5 weeks in Spain and Portugal last September and saw many Renault Kadjar's! A very nice looking SUV! We drove 2,600km around Spain in a SEAT Ibiza ST wagon (Diesel), great little car!

Quote Originally Posted by iLaguna View Post
    Have you been to Italy and the Greek Islands before? I spent 5 weeks in Italy in 2013, loved it, along with all the car and 'Renault' spotting too! I haven't been to the Greek Islands, but it's on my list. Hoping to get there next year, along with Malta and Croatia.

Spent 5 weeks in Spain and Portugal last September and saw many Renault Kadjar's! A very nice looking SUV! We drove 2,600km around Spain in a SEAT Ibiza ST wagon (Diesel), great little car!
    Went to Mykonos last year for a friend's 40th. Now going back for a better look. The year before I did a bit of a tour of France looking at French car museums across the countryside. My drive was nothing as nice as you got, just a 1.2 Lancia Ypsilon.

Late last year I wet on a trip to Japan and US. Fortunately it coincided with the Tokyo and LA Motor Shows.

A lot of a luxury, traveling on 4 overseas trip in 3 and a bit years, but that probably explains why my daily driver is a 13 year old car I paid $1800 for.

Renault sales were down 12% in February, compared to February 2015. Hope it's not a trend!

Because the Megane GT Line costs over $30k now whereas up to Dec 31st it was $26k drive away! Big difference
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

Australia Post moved from Transits & Sprinters to Trafics and Masters a few years ago. That must have changed the number of vehicles (and parcels) moved.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi estate
    2013 Renault Koleos 2.0 dCi 4WD
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Thread Information