Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Dauphine Gordini on ebay

Tadpole

Default Dauphine Gordini on ebay

I was wondering whether anyone knows this car, or of this car:

Advertisement

Collector CAR in SA | eBay

I am new to the Aussiefrogs, and have been watching for one to come up for sale. I am keen to find one as a retirement project, but it needs to be the right car.

Thanks

Wow!
    A respray and a tidy up is all that is needed. I have bought several cars (and motorcycles) from South Australia, including my current RS. Nothing rusts down there.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Wow!
    A respray and a tidy up is all that is needed. I have bought several cars (and motorcycles) from South Australia, including my current RS. Nothing rusts down there.
    Either wishful thinking or tongue in cheek surely! Any Dauphine, regardless of what it looks like in pictures, needs to be eyeballed. I've not actually seen the subject car listed, apart from taking a 20ish footer pic of the car at an SAFCD ten years ago, so I crtainly can't comment on the actual vehicle in question. However, cars do rust in SA, especially older ones.

Any Dauphine can be subject to rust, especially from inside out. The neat one is the chassis rail at the rear, at the forward of the rear wheel arch, from the wheel side, the bitumen coat or metal can look crusty, poke a bit further it breaks through. Road dirt can gather between the chassis rail and rear wheel arch in a crevice, causing rust over a long term. Then there is the usual sill rust, floor rust (rear footwells especially), front door pillar rust, bottom of doors etc. Sure there can be good ones, but all, especially those painted with a mop, would have to be eyeballed and checked. Also, why do people have to take such crappy and fuzzy pictures of their cars, surely it can't be that hard.

And in closing, a rust-free SA sourced RS Renault can't be considered as a good indicator of potential rust-free status of any car, let alone a 55 year old Renault :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I see it's advertised as 1100cc!

I don't think so.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Same colour as my wife's Dauphine G that also spent most of its life in Adelaide. Hers is rust free and may not have ever had rust, and has about 2/3rds of the original paint still in quite good condition. I do though believe hers is the exception rather than the rule. I think hers had less than 80 000 Miles on it when she bought it.

This one does look quite fair in the fuzzy photos. the interiors seem to hold up very well. As Simon has stated, you would really need to see it for yourself or have a trusted person look at it carefully. My last two Ebay unseen other than photos, motorcycle buys have turned out to be much worse than I thought they would be looking at photos and reading the blurb. I have spent about $2000 in parts on the last one without even opening the engine.

So go into the purchase with your eyes wide open. It also looks like the Dauphine G is not being sold cheaply when being sold at something approaching $6000.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    Same colour as my wife's Dauphine G that also spent most of its life in Adelaide. Hers is rust free and may not have ever had rust, and has about 2/3rds of the original paint still in quite good condition. I do though believe hers is the exception rather than the rule. I think hers had less than 80 000 Miles on it when she bought it.
    I think that your Dauphine G is the ex-Leo Slattery car, and it certainly is the exception to the rusty Dauphine rule as I knew the car fairly well.

Going back about 30 years, I was looking for a nice DG, looked at about 20 cars for sale, and all had varying degrees of rust in the body, among other issues that made them unappealing. I knew of Leo's car at the time, but it wasn't for sale, he apparently bought it from a little old lady in Gawler for $300, then when he passed away his estate offered the car for sale at $7,500 – way too much at the time (circa late 1980's/ very early 1990's). At the time there were about three or four other known good and original Dauphine Gs in Adelaide, a red car (now in Vic) a bottle green/blue car (ex-Clem Minge, recently sold), and a pale blue car (present location unknown) but at the time these cars were also not on the market. In the end I had to settle on the 8G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dauphine Gordini on ebay-dsc07674.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post

This one does look quite fair in the fuzzy photos. the interiors seem to hold up very well. As Simon has stated, you would really need to see it for yourself or have a trusted person look at it carefully. My last two Ebay unseen other than photos, motorcycle buys have turned out to be much worse than I thought they would be looking at photos and reading the blurb. I have spent about $2000 in parts on the last one without even opening the engine.

So go into the purchase with your eyes wide open. It also looks like the Dauphine G is not being sold cheaply when being sold at something approaching $6000.
    I appreciate all of the replies.

The problem is that I am new to the Renault scene, and while I am very keen to acquire a Gordini of some description, I do not yet have sufficient knowledge to pick a bad one, and I just don't want to buy a car that needs major rust repairs; been there done that with another marque and certainly not doing it again. I am also not yet across the values, so I could easily end up making a bad buy for a variety of reasons.

Something that I find eternally frustrating is that these cars always seem to be anywhere but close to where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post

Going back about 30 years, I was looking for a nice DG, In the end I had to settle on the 8G.
    Settling for an R8G was easily the better option.

Although I really quite Karen's "Amedee", he is a little steady even with an engine rebuild. She wouldn't let me hot him up. The 4 wheel drum brakes, although upgraded from the Dauphine are not confidence inspiring. I have just ordered a full set of shocks from Melun Retro to improve the roadholding, although the Nankang tyres currently fitted are probably not helping the cause.

He is a fun little car though, and you do smile when riding in him, and quite likely that is what it is all about.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I think that your Dauphine G is the ex-Leo Slattery car,
    Do you remember Leo had a after market rear view mirror that was extra wide to help him see out the back and the interior smelt of the herbs or vitamins he was selling at the time ...
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Do you remember Leo had a after market rear view mirror that was extra wide to help him see out the back and the interior smelt of the herbs or vitamins he was selling at the time ...
    As a star Rawleigh's salesman, he shifted a lot of gear in that car. I also know the shop where he got that mirror from :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

About crappy pictures.

You'd be surprised. I think the better the cameras (and gear in general) got, the worse the pictures are. Maybe because all this good gear highlights how much people suck at taking a proper (decent) shot. It's just hopeless.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 8th February 2016 at 11:12 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by BJAS1961 View Post
    I appreciate all of the replies.

The problem is that I am new to the Renault scene, and while I am very keen to acquire a Gordini of some description, I do not yet have sufficient knowledge to pick a bad one, and I just don't want to buy a car that needs major rust repairs; been there done that with another marque and certainly not doing it again. I am also not yet across the values, so I could easily end up making a bad buy for a variety of reasons.

Something that I find eternally frustrating is that these cars always seem to be anywhere but close to where I live.
    Superficially it does look reasonable. What you need, taking Simon's correct comments on board, is someone to go and look at it. They are sweet little cars.

I had bare metal stay shiny for years in Adelaide and coated with thin rust in weeks in Perth. But if a car has been left in the rain and left with mud in silly places, pretty well anything from the 50s/60s will rust. My Peugeot bike rusted terribly in the first year in Perth, never in Adelaide. However, I do agree with Simon.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Good Karen is in control of her car!! I think you could insert the word "slightly" between "although" and "upgraded". They widened the drums by a few mm if I recall.

Now wait for tyre comments....

I reckon your last sentence is on the money for that very original DG.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Superficially it does look reasonable. What you need, taking Simon's correct comments on board, is someone to go and look at it. They are sweet little cars.
    Regrettably, I don't know anyone with the required knowledge, or indeed anyone in Adelaide. I would love to chance it, but if I have learned anything from my forays with other marques and eBay; I 'll get the wrong car and be burned.

No bids yet, although many watchers.

Quote Originally Posted by BJAS1961 View Post
    Regrettably, I don't know anyone with the required knowledge, or indeed anyone in Adelaide. I would love to chance it, but if I have learned anything from my forays with other marques and eBay; I 'll get the wrong car and be burned.

No bids yet, although many watchers.
    You could always ask here for volunteers, providing you aren't offended by polite refusals. There are some very good AF folk in Adelaide, but they might be too busy or naturally reticent.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    You could always ask here for volunteers, providing you aren't offended by polite refusals. There are some very good AF folk in Adelaide, but they might be too busy or naturally reticent.....
    I would love to check it out for BJAS1961 but if it turned out better than the photos portray, I'd be forced to buy it myself. That would upset BJAS1961, my wife's car would then have to go on the driveway so the Dauph could go in the garage (my shed's chockas), and that's when the fight would start . No, I better keep away
    cheers,

John

Come on, a bit of will power...... I take your point though.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    I would love to check it out for BJAS1961 but if it turned out better than the photos portray, I'd be forced to buy it myself. That would upset BJAS1961, my wife's car would then have to go on the driveway so the Dauph could go in the garage (my shed's chockas), and that's when the fight would start . No, I better keep away
    That wouldn't be a terrible outcome from my point of view; because then I won't have to explain it to my wife, which is a challenge at the best of times. She has noticed me looking at the eBay listing, and the looks I am getting really aren't encouraging.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Stuff the Mrs, go get.
    You should see my Mrs, when it went from 1 Floride to 5, she just happy its back to 3.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

What about "happy wife = happy life"

Sometimes you have to just come home with the new toy and beg for forgiveness later . I've had my motor bike for years now but that's still a dirty word
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Stuff the Mrs, go get. You should see my Mrs, when it went from 1 Floride to 5, she just happy its back to 3.
    I know the brutal truth here! For you 5 minus 2 = tolerance. For me, up to 5 minus 2 = fast death not slow death. However, in fairness, she is putting up with 3 very generously, but is very strongly resistant to "buy one more" and fairly resistant to "sell one, buy one". I think my personal long term plan is sell one, keep two classics, plus a newish car each. Newish = 10-20 years.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Tadpole

I have tested all of the suggested approaches during my years as a collector of performance Fords; here are the results:

Happy wife = Happy life is a clear winner, by an not inconsiderable margin.

Buy, and beg for forgiveness operates on the law of diminishing returns. The more you do it, the less effective it is in practice, and if you do it often enough it is interpreted as Stuff the Mrs, with the same outcome overlaid with additional disgust because you apparently think you can manipulate her.

Sell one to buy one is initially effective, until she works out a counter-strategy, of allowing you to sell and then resistance to any replacement. Once you get to none, she has won and there is very little chance of gaining a new foothold. This is where I am today. All of the Fords are gone, and I am constantly encouraged to find a new interest.

Stuff the Mrs, go get is a clear last, and produces prolonged periods of stress, tension and general alienation.

"Out of sight, out of mind" is another effective strategy when you can do it........

I've used the buy on condition of selling trick but swmbo has realised that I'm a bit slow on the selling part of the bargain - really slow! So I've discovered that trick no longer works
    cheers,

John

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

On one of my work trips to QLD last year I noticed that red R8 that was for sale on a trailer heading south on the Newell, a quick u-turn and chat found husband and wife together on the road trip.
    You could try that one, "darling how about a road trip and holiday to Adelaide to pick up the Dauphine".
    She hasn't been on a holiday for a while now has she.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information