• Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By renault8&10

Thread: Alpine A110 and R8 questions

Fellow Frogger!

Default Alpine A110 and R8 questions

Hi all

Advertisement

In sorting out my A110 for Targa Tassie next April, I have been trying to source a new pushrod for a 22mm tandem master cylinder. I have tried Simon Auto, GBS Alpine and Mecaparts but none of them have them available. I have made one up but don't know the right dimensions apart from thread size (13mm). Does anyone know of a possible source for new ones or does anyone have one available they want to sell?

I also noticed a 2 way switch under the steering cowling which had no wiring attached. Have looked at R8 and A110 manuals and none say what this switch was used for. Can anyone help?

bazzamac

COL

Hi Bazzamac

I can't help you with the master cylinder push rod.

My steering column cowling just has a rectangular hole where you have that switch. I'm guessing it is some accessory like courtesy lights. My car has courtesy light switches fitted in the A pillar but I can't see and interior light anywhere.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I don't think that switch is used at all in Oz R8's. Can't speak for A110's.

My guess, is might be for England and Europe where you used to have to have the parking lights on one side of the vehicle lit when parked on the side of the road I believe.
    Paul T likes this.
    KB

In the UK you can park on either side, so a left/right switch would have made sense.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I don't think that switch is used at all in Oz R8's. Can't speak for A110's.

My guess, is might be for England and Europe where you used to have to have the parking lights on one side of the vehicle lit when parked on the side of the road I believe.
    That is correct KB.
    I looked into it a while back when I was sorting out my lights. Apparently it is to turn on the parking lights either left or right side depending on what side of the road you were parking on. Not used here.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

Back in the 60's (still in S. Africa), I queried this switch with the local Renault agent, and was told that it was to select one side only of park lights, as suggested above.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks guys for your advice re the switch. Obviously don't need to worry about it but interesting why it was there.Plainly it didn't apply in Mexico or NZ as well as Oz.

Now just have to wait on any further responses re the push rod but will start thinking about a custom build job.

I thought you had converted to a tandem master cylinder setup? If so the following R8/10 details may be incorrect, and may actually be incorrect for an A110 (about which I am clueless), as usual check very carefully before buying or making.

Pushrod length for a 22mm master is 86.5mm, the later 20.6 is 80mm, the pushrod to piston clearance is 0.5mm.

Also, as noted, the little switch under the column is for the Euro market only. The other thing to note is that those vehicles had the red/white parking lights in lieu of the orange blinker repeaters on the front guards.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Again, that makes sense Simon. Red light to rear, white light to front?
    A bit like truck and trailer Aus vehicle standards now? Ie running lights being orange or red.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Simon

I did change to a tandem master cylinder setup on my A110. The parts manual for an A110 (page 58.25) shows it as part number 60 00 001 162 for a tandem master cylinder and it looks a bit different to the one shown (part number 08 24 500 800) for a single pot master cylinder in that the former has a bulbous head but there are no dimensions. I don't have a R8/10 parts manual so wonder if the part numbers are the same? In which case, me thinks the dimensions you have given may be OK.

Re the switch, my A110 does have the red/white blinkers on the front guards which I will keep as original.

The 60 xx xxx xxx part numbers, generally, indicate unique Alpine part numbers. The PR698 catalogue conforms that 60 00 001 162 is unique for the Alpine, and is therefore likely different to the mushroom headed tandem master cylinder pushrod used on the US/Canada spec R8/10, part number 08 24 516 923.

Part number 08 24 500 800 was used on the R8/10 single master cylinder cars, and from the parts catalogue, a very small, very specific number of US/Canada spec tandem master cylinder R8/10. This specific example would require further investigation, as it wouldn't be the first error in a parts catalogue (if indeed it is an error).

As you likely have seen, the pushrods are quite different in appearance, so are unlikely to be interchangeable. Given the changes that have occurred to your car, I'd be guided by what is actually on the car now (which may already be custom made given its history) as opposed to what a parts catalogue, or an armchair expert, say the car should have. Which prompts a query from me, if the vehicle is now functioning OK, it seems odd to have pinpointed an issue to the pushrod. Please be very careful with the diagnosis, and test afterwards, the middle of Cethana is the last place where you want to find you have a brake problem!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Ove

In the later spare-parts-cataloge PR992 the pushrod for the 22mm tandem-master is specified as 08 24 170 700. That is the same one which was used in A110s with the brake-servo. (PR871 / 58.35) There the nut is 79 03 032 016 and the screw 06 08 039 000.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    Thanks guys for your advice re the switch. Obviously don't need to worry about it but interesting why it was there.Plainly it didn't apply in Mexico or NZ as well as Oz.

Now just have to wait on any further responses re the push rod but will start thinking about a custom build job.
    The park light switch was fitted to our Thames (NZ) built R10. Took a while in pre-internet days to figure out what it was for ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    Hi all

In sorting out my A110 for Targa Tassie next April, I have been trying to source a new pushrod for a 22mm tandem master cylinder. I have tried Simon Auto, GBS Alpine and Mecaparts but none of them have them available. I have made one up but don't know the right dimensions apart from thread size (13mm). Does anyone know of a possible source for new ones or does anyone have one available they want to sell?

I also noticed a 2 way switch under the steering cowling which had no wiring attached. Have looked at R8 and A110 manuals and none say what this switch was used for. Can anyone help?

bazzamac
    No idea but I use it for the reversing light I fitted (one way) and as a master switch for the radio (the other way). Parking lights either side makes sense from older French cars, but the R8s all switched them on with the master stalk, both sides at once. It'd make a good thiefproof ignition switch too - they'd never find it!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks everyone for your advice. Problems solved.

We now know what the 2 switch was for and what it can be used for - I like JohnW's idea about using it as a kill switch - nobody would find it although I do have a kill switch elsewhere in my A110.

i now have great brake pedal pressure. The pushrod I had initially used was a temporary fix until a new one came along. All it required was some adjustment to get the brake pressure but I was always after a proper new one. I have since found that you cannot get them new anymore so I made one.

Basically I used a 8mm x 75mm high tensile bolt which I screwed into and then had it welded into a 25 mm long 8mm hex nut. I then cut the unit to an overall length of 82.5mm (thanks Simon for that measurement) and tapered the end to fit the inside profile of the master cylinder piston. The link bolt is 8mm x 44mm and is a leftover item from a Fuego that is used to hold the straps of the petrol tank. The loop on the end of the link rod was then slightly narrowed in width to enable it to fit into the end of the brake pedal. Screwed on an adjustment nut and installed it. I have yet to road test as it is still on wheel stands while I do other work at the rear end but a jump on the pedal shows there is very good pressure. I also had the car running on the wheel stands and the brakes work perfectly. Perhaps the above might be of help to others now that it seems pushrods for 19mm and 22mm master cylinders are no longer available (at least from Simon Auto, GBS Alpine and Mecaparts) - probably because they are not fast moving stock items and don't usually wear out.

Ove

Hi down-under

beside Simon Automobiltechnik there is another dealer for Alpine spare-parts in Germany, who started his business long before Simon: Mr. Treiser at Gelsenkirchen with his company TREICO.
    He offers a set for the 19mm master-cylinder including the push-rod.

treico - der alpine-partner

The difference between the sets for 19mm and 22mm are the treads:
    M7 for 19mm master and M8 for 22mm mastercylinder.
    The pushrod 08 24 170 700 for the 22mm tandem-cylinder in the A110 was also mounted in RHD R10 R1190 up to chassis-no 477140 and the R8 Gordini R1135.
    Sorry for my belated answer, i had no access to my documents due to a travel to visit the Rallye Monte Carlo historique in France.

Cheers

Ove
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alpine A110 and R8 questions-img_0209%5B1%5D.jpg  
    Last edited by Ove; 8th February 2016 at 03:18 PM.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Ove View Post
    Hi down-under

beside Simon Automobiltechnik there is another dealer for Alpine spare-parts in Germany, who started his business long before Simon: Mr. Treiser at Gelsenkirchen with his company TREICO.
    He offers a set for the 19mm master-cylinder including the push-rod.

treico - der alpine-partner

The difference between the sets for 19mm and 22mm are the treads:
    7 for 19mm master and 8 for 22mm mastercylinder.
    The pushrod 08 24 170 700 for the 22mm tandem-cylinder in the A110 was also mounted in RHD R10 R1190 up to chassis-no 477140 and the R8 Gordini R1135.
    Sorry for my belated answer, i had no access to my documents due to a travel to visit the Rallye Monte Carlo historique in France.

Cheers

Ove
    Thanks for he link to the Treico web site
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Ditto Ove

Thread Information