2009 kangoo auto trans service
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 2009 kangoo auto trans service

Tadpole

Default 2009 kangoo auto trans service

Hi there,I have a 2009 kangoo with a 1.6 petrol, auto trans.
    I have never serviced a transmission on a foreign car and need a little help.
    Where is the trans filter located,oil filler location and what type of trans fluid do I need?
    I did a quick search but didn't find anything.
    Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Search for AL4 or DPO fluid change. The AL4 is the very same unit when fitted to Peugeot or Citroen cars, and the DPO is when its fitted to Renaults. There is a very specific procedure involved.

Please re-post C5 AL4 transmission refilling guide

There is no filter you can get to. Oil filler plug is on top next to the shift lever.

Use Penrite Full Synthetic fluid from Repco. ATF FS (Full Syn.)
    jaahn and stinky ninja like this.

Tadpole

Thanks very much for your help,very much appreciated.

Tadpole

My trans has the 8mm square drive drain plug unlike the 2 stage type plug in the link provided,is the procedure any different with different types of drain plugs?
    Cheers

There are a few variants of plugs, the procedure is the same for them all. My Megane has the square drive plug as well, the inner tube (made of plastic) you undo by inserting an 8mm (i think) allen key up into to it.

Tadpole

Is the plastic inner tube used to check the level like the other type plugs?

Tadpole

I understand the other type of plug which has 2 external plugs and the inner one lets the fluid trickle out when its at the correct level.
    Ive only ever serviced my v8 and six cyl ford transmissions before,they are nothing like this.

Tadpole

Ok I understand now,ill make sure I get a new level tube and im away.
    Thankyou

And, if you get really stuck, call Corrado at Eurocare at Burswood or the Renault dealer on Scarborough Beach Road, given you are in Perth. Both seem pretty good to me and both have been very helpful in my experience.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Thanks John!
    Also, thanks to Haakon!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stinky ninja View Post
    Ok I understand now,ill make sure I get a new level tube and im away.
    Thankyou
    Hi stinky
    No new tube required, it is in there and is reusable. The procedure to drain is remove the square socket plug, then when it stops draining you insert a 8mm allen key up the hole as far as possible to engage the plastic tube internal socket and then unscrew it and remove it as the rest of the oil drains all over you. Be ready with a baking tray or similar. So do not have the transmission too hot before you start or you will get burnt.

When you come to refill the transmission, put the plastic tube back in fully and then replace the plug. Put the 4 ltrs of oil in and drive the car around the block till the transmission is a bit warm. THEN THE OIL LEVEL IS CHECKED WITH THE ENGINE STILL RUNNING. That means you must be able to do the removal of the plug and catch the oil which comes out with the engine running and the car level to a reasonable degree. Plan that first ! The exact temperature is not vital and hand warm is OK, but not too hot for the hands to do the required work.

Not hard to do IF YOU PLAN IT FIRST SO YOU CAN DO THE SIMPLE STEPS REQUIRED. NOTE AGAIN THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING TO GET THE OIL LEVEL CORRECT or it will be TOO LOW. When the initial oil overflow stops is OK as it splashes around in there and drips forever if you wait for it to stop completely.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 27th January 2016 at 01:01 AM.
    stinky ninja likes this.

This is the procedure for checking/topping-up the oil.
    (This is for a Megane/Scenic but it's still a DP0 box).

109.pdf110.pdf111.pdf

Cheers
    Ren
    stinky ninja likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

Default These bl**y transmissions and the oil changes !#$%^&*

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    This is the procedure for checking/topping-up the oil.
    (This is for a Megane/Scenic but it's still a DP0 box).
    109.pdf110.pdf111.pdf
    Cheers Ren
    Hi,
    While it is useful to see the original factory procedure for information you must not think that a factory tool or the like is necessary.

I have written this too many times now so perhaps a stickey is necessary and put prominently so people will find it and read it. All auto transmissions need oil changes to get the crap out and new additives in again.

The important things for the oil change on this transmission are these;
    1 use a new synthetic ATF oil. Penrite is the cheapest and good IMHO. The original oil is marginal qualilty anyway. 4 liters will do OK and allow some overflow.
    2 DO the oil change now and then despite the factory nil change recommendation. It will preserve the transmission. say 20- 30000ks.
    3 The level MUST BE CHECKED WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING.
    4 The temperature of the transmission for level checking is not critical. Not cold but warmish to touch, almost too hot. No tool required to check this, just your hand. Not critical.
    5 PLAN how to do the job before you start. EG the way you will get the car level and get under it and catch the oil etc. How to get at the fill plug, move the transmission selector lever a bit !
    6 There are two different types of drain plugs. The principle is the same but the hardware is slightly different.
    7 The level MUST BE CHECKED WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. People have trouble with this bit Actually all autos get checked with engine idling.
    Cheers jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 27th January 2016 at 01:43 PM.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi stinky
    No new tube required, it is in there and is reusable. The procedure to drain is remove the square socket plug, then when it stops draining you insert a 8mm allen key up the hole as far as possible to engage the plastic tube internal socket and then unscrew it and remove it as the rest of the oil drains all over you. Be ready with a baking tray or similar. So do not have the transmission too hot before you start or you will get burnt.

When you come to refill the transmission, put the plastic tube back in fully and then replace the plug. Put the 4 ltrs of oil in and drive the car around the block till the transmission is a bit warm. THEN THE OIL LEVEL IS CHECKED WITH THE ENGINE STILL RUNNING. That means you must be able to do the removal of the plug and catch the oil which comes out with the engine running and the car level to a reasonable degree. Plan that first ! The exact temperature is not vital and hand warm is OK, but not too hot for the hands to do the required work.

Not hard to do IF YOU PLAN IT FIRST SO YOU CAN DO THE SIMPLE STEPS REQUIRED. NOTE AGAIN THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING TO GET THE OIL LEVEL CORRECT or it will be TOO LOW. When the initial oil overflow stops is OK as it splashes around in there and drips forever if you wait for it to stop completely.
    Jaahn
    Thanks mate,im getting the oil today(penrite atf-fs) ill report back once its done,happy I don't need to get a new tube,its my wifes work car so its better to do on the weekend
    Thanks for the easy explanation and thanks again to everyone who offered advice,i appreciate it very much!

Tadpole

Got the oil changed today,only managed to get out 2.5-2.75 litres though,maybe I did something wrong?
    I was expecting at least 3.5 litres.

How much did you get back in out of interest?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

In my opinion if you have the DP0 box you may as well wait until it starts to malfunction and then the oil will need changed anyway when it needs repaired. They will always need some sort of repair.
    Renault Megane sedan dCi 1.9 2007

David Brown 1973 885 synchromesh tractor.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1995

Honda sh150i scooter 2008

Tadpole

Only managed to fit in about the same amount.
    Its going to Renault to get the timing belt,water pump,front accessory pulleys,tensioners replaced in the next few weeks and they are putting an updated gearbox tune into it,hope it helps.
    I haven't driven it from a cold start yet,interested to see if it slams into second and holds gears for too long.
    Melville Renault refused to even change the trans oil/do a service,they said they never do them anyhow,ossy park wanted $900 to service the trans lol

Tadpole

It had the shift solenoid changed a couple of years back by Renault so im guessing they serviced it then.
    The fluid was dirty but not burnt,i was surprised it wasn't too bad.

I wonder what Ossie Park would have done for your $900? Good the fluid was "dirty but not burned". I imagine some would observe that a few changes like that to clean up the fluid wouldn't be a bad idea, but I've no personal experience owning one of these autos.

I change the oil in the manual older Renaults every few years - five to ten. Comes out fairly clean.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

Basic service on the trans,oil, filter and pan gasket,$900 is pretty steep.
    I paid $45 for my 4 litres of penrite synthetic oil,its nowhere near as good as a flush or a new filter and oil but its better than nothing,at least some of the oil is good.
    If it has helped ill do it again in a couple of weeks.
    If you change the oil a few times it will clean the oil up enough,flushing will cost a fortune.
    Last edited by stinky ninja; 30th January 2016 at 11:30 PM.
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Good to hear you did it OK. What you did is just what the dealer would do too. There is nothing else to do as the filter is not accessable with out dismantling the transmission and is not a replacement item. The gasket is not normally needed to be changed even if you take the cover/pan off as it is moulded rubber and has a set compression design to make it reusable normally. So $900 for some pretty marginal oil and an hours work at the most ?? That is called Dealer profit margin !!

Do the change again after a short while for a more complete change of the oil. Note that some dealers can change the solonoid without an oil change, just a top up as necessary. There is little lost removing the cover/pan as it is on the front vertical side.
    Cheers jaahn
    PS those transmissons are not so bad. Many people get good life out of them. If they malfunction and you fix them, and also do some oil changes they can do long mileages.
    PPS It is not possible to do an easy flush so don't try, just do a couple of quick changes if you think the oil looks bad. I could post a slightly easier change method if anyone wants it. Or look for AL4 oil changes in the Citroen stuff.
    Last edited by jaahn; 31st January 2016 at 12:32 AM.
    stinky ninja likes this.

Tadpole

I was surprised how easy it ended up being to change the oil,thanks to good advice from this forum
    I think the only reason the trans plays up is because of lack of servicing/oil changes like most auto transmissions.
    And the oil is cheap too,bonus!

Tadpole

Turns out those few litres of fresh good quality oil actually helped the old frog wagon a little bit,i was sceptical at best lol,shifts are a bit smoother,not as rough in the mornings,ill be doing the same again in a few weeks
    Thanks again to those who helped me with advice and links to info.
    Cheers Stinky

Quote Originally Posted by stinky ninja View Post
    Turns out those few litres of fresh good quality oil actually helped the old frog wagon a little bit,i was sceptical at best lol,shifts are a bit smoother,not as rough in the mornings,ill be doing the same again in a few weeks
    Thanks again to those who helped me with advice and links to info.
    Cheers Stinky
    I found the Penrite gives it better shifting than the original ELF fluid. Its a little thicker.

Really need to get an electric car... This pistons and fire and oils and gears etc etc etc is all too high maintanence and old school for my tastes!
    JohnW likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information