Don't restore a 16, buy one in beaut condition
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Don't restore a 16, buy one in beaut condition

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Default Don't restore a 16, buy one in beaut condition

Please see For Sale threads as I have my beaut 16TS reluctantly for sale.

Alastair

Advertisement

Default Renault 16TS for sale -opinions on price

Am I asking too much for my 16TS? Most who have seen it rate it as one of the best but is the AF market a tight-fisted market that no one will pay over $5000 for a car?

I am asking $7500ono as it is such good condition and it has recently been resprayed. You all know what a respray costs but we also know that we never recover costs. The fellow who sold it to me paid over $4000 for the engine rebuild!

Some clown from Qld offered $4000. "Tell 'I'm he's dreamin'"

I'd be interested in what you think.

Alastair

I don't see why not, onthe one hand there are lots of decrepid French cars on gumtree at present going for sfa which are either parts or expensive resto cases. Compare to a really good 504 and you must be close to the mark on value, a TS is a more sophisticated car than a TL so that adds value too. I've been trying to offload my 74 TL but wrong place to do it where I live. Now we know its a buyers market isn't it? I'd say yes due to the choices out there, but again if you have a good car then try and hold out on the price, $7500 is going to have some thinking they can wrangle you down, how low can you wear? 6? That would be a good compromise, work paid for on a car doesn't factor that greatly in the big scheme in my opinion, they are all money sinks really!

Better still, put 9 on it and 'wear' 7.5. : )
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 30th January 2016 at 10:04 AM.

COL

Unfortunately you are selling to a very small market, you are looking for a Renault 16 enthusiast who will appreciate the car the same as you have done. You just need to be patient and wait for the right buyer to come along.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I reckon it is under-priced myself. Great car with not much to do except bits and pieces to improve it according to taste and effort.

As ever, you are looking for one buyer. Just one.

As when we sold ours 10 years ago, they don't command remotely the money they are worth IMHO. We paid $4500 nearly 20 years ago for ours and I didn't haggle at all. Fair price - so add inflation and see what it looks like in 2016. We paid $5500 for our first one in 1983 and people said that was expensive - but not for an immaculate, low km 16TS Special the same colour as yours now.

Best wishes of course.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I am most grateful to you all for taking the time to air your comments. I have had a few very genuine enquiries so I shall proceed as suggested.

Alastair

I think it would be unusual to get a really top price advertising on AF. I had an absolutely immaculate low mileage 205. It was on here for months and the highest offer I got was I think $11k. I put it on Carsales at $14.5k and sold it in literally a few hours. Within a day I had a list of people wanting to pay full price if the first sale fell through for any reason. Lots of knowledge here but maybe to reach the people wanting to pay big prices for really good cars you should advertise a little wider.
    Last edited by Richard W; 30th January 2016 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair Browne View Post
    I am most grateful to you all for taking the time to air your comments. I have had a few very genuine enquiries so I shall proceed as suggested.

Alastair
    Good you've had enquiries Alistair. Hope you find an appropriate custodian.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

I tend to agree with Richard. You are not going to get top dollar on AF.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I tend to agree with Richard. You are not going to get top dollar on AF.
    Yes, there tends to be too much talking the prices down. You know "you'll never get that for a .....". How much professional painting can you get for what Alistair is asking for a complete car in good condition, and a 16TS at that. The answer is half to two thirds of a car painted properly from bare metal on the outside. Or less than a quarter of a paint job for serious stripping down to a bare shell.

It's a bargain for the money IMHO.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

I quite agree, John!!

I am not after top dollar, Kev, as I would like the new owner to drive the car and not keep it closeted away. I have deliberately 'used' this car as it is so driveable rather than keep it from the public's eye. The display of 16s at Shannons last August on Pit Row celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the 16 generated a lot of interest.

I have added more pics today.

Alastair

Fellow Frogger!

As wonderful as forums like this are, I agree that you'll be unlikely to get top dollar here. Looks like a gorgeous car to me, but then I AM a carNUT. I like ALL sorts of cars. It's funny that people will buy a car for a few hundred dollars and spend a lot more than $7500 getting it to the point where they can actually DRIVE it and enjoy it, but they'll quibble and carry on about spending $7500 for a car that's ready to enjoy straight away. And I'm as bad as anyone out there when it comes to this. Everybody knows it's far cheaper to buy a going concern than it is to rectify the wrongs of 40 (or whatever the case may be) years of multiple owners and dodgy repairs inflicted upon a pile of parts that were once a car. But I'm just as bad as the next bloke when it comes to the romantic thoughts of resurrecting old cars vs buying ones that are already on the road.
    There's no accounting for human nature sometimes . I think, sometimes, it's a case of people just not HAVING the money to shell out at the time the car comes to market. Either way, there are thousands of people out there who do, and you only need one of them.........eventually, you will find him/her.
    Unless, of course, you have a $12,000 R12 with silver overspray on the tyres..........

1000+ Posts

Alastair, have you followed up on these leads?

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    Oh gee I want mine back again!
    Seriously they were the DS of the 60's and still would be a great car today. What a pity Renault don't make cars like that anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by furneauxfrogger View Post
    Thanks for the link Simon !, totally agree with all the above comments, I had a 1970 16TS between 1975 and 1980. A GREAT car, wish I had kept it, would love another .....
    cheers
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    I would trade the scenic c4 and the R 25 for a newish 16 any day.
    Years ago I bought a 16TL Auto with air and fell head over heals with it. and then a succesion of TS variants from 73 to 76 and they where all very pleasant memories of my motoring youth.

Enjoyed the video simon

Alistair,

There's a great write up on the 16 on Shannons Club. I've taken the liberty of adding a comment and noting that there's one for sale on Aussiefrogs. You never know, it might grab someone's attention.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Yes, there tends to be too much talking the prices down. You know "you'll never get that for a .....". How much professional painting can you get for what Alistair is asking for a complete car in good condition, and a 16TS at that. The answer is half to two thirds of a car painted properly from bare metal on the outside. Or less than a quarter of a paint job for serious stripping down to a bare shell.

It's a bargain for the money IMHO.
    Some of the froggers on this forum are the best or worst practitioners of this practice, depending on your outlook.
    Continually complaining about the low prices when trying to sell their car.

But the second somebody manages to get a halfway decent price for their car they start banging on along the lines
    of i wouldn't pay that much for it.

You can't have it both ways.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Quote" Unfortunately you are selling to a very small market, you are looking for a Renault 16 enthusiast who will appreciate the car the same as you have done. You just need to be patient and wait for the right buyer to come along."

As above. Most young people want power steer, air, power windows, power mirrors, remote locking. fuel injection etc. ...all the goodies they are used to in modern cars.

Most older folk want the same nowadays. The romantic notion of owning an older car from their youth is quickly overshadowed by the reality that they lack all the fruit and so shy away from even superb examples such as this.

Either be prepared to give it away for a lesser price than you want (if you are in a hurry) or stick it out for an indefinite time and perhaps eventually get the asking price. Rarely does one recoup the money spent on restoration.

As it has been often quoted.........it's only worth what someone will pay.

if you had it in Shannons auction there's a really good possibility it would get what you want, or more. Problem is getting it there.

Fellow Frogger!

I think it is a sensational buy and if I could find a way to fit it into my garage with the MX5 and Clio RS200 would have it in a heartbeat.
    I have to agree though that forums are the LAST place to sell a car at the right price.i would be trying Unique cars ,Just cars or some of the online sights.
    Good luck with your sale.

Peter
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

It's a bargain. I'd love to have it parked beside my pair of 504s but I don't have the space. I'd hold out for a higher price...

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Hi Froggers

I have just sold the car to a discerning buyer from Victoria. I am absolutely sure he will be very pleased with it. It is a great buy and for a car that is appreciating in value. Many write-ups are starting to appear about the unique 16. Many of you know this car and will be pleased it has gone to a Renault aficionado.

Many thanks for your interest.

Alastair

Good news and condolences...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair Browne View Post
    Hi Froggers

I have just sold the car to a discerning buyer from Victoria. I am absolutely sure he will be very pleased with it. It is a great buy and for a car that is appreciating in value. Many write-ups are starting to appear about the unique 16. Many of you know this car and will be pleased it has gone to a Renault aficionado.

Many thanks for your interest.

Alastair
    I hope that he appreciates buying one of the few R16s with decent tyres fitted :-)

cheers! Peter

Fellow Frogger!

Congratulations on the sale and very pleased to see it has gone to a good home.Lost a bit of sleep over this car and even started to look for rental space!

Hope to see it around.

Peter.
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Well done! It is a wonderful car and a credit to you. I am sure the new owner will be more than pleased.

Now, why did I hear a rumor on Australian Day at Dee Why that you are buying a Ford?
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Aha Michael! I already have a 1980 Ford XD which owes me heaps and that's why I am keeping that one. It came from some spiv in Mexico.

However, I have bought a yellow 1971 Marcos 3 litre GT Coupe from UK (for those of you who want to throw up, it even has a Volvo 164 motor!) and needed to sell the 16 and Exa to finance the purchase - well, partly finance it as even selling those 2 won't match the price of the new one by a long shot!!

And to Peter 4cvg - definitely the tyres to fit. Great road holding, safe and quiet.

Thank you to all our readers who have offered commiserations on the sale. The 16 will definitely be one of those cars where I say, "I shouldn't have sold that one".

Alastair

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information