330 big box build
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 330 big box build

Default 330 big box build

I have decided to try build a big box 330 trans with R16 internals but am having a difficult time getting the 330 yoke resized for the larger spline that is used in the R16 axle shafts . I was wondering what the actual size and description of the large spline is so I can make inquiries or reference to on my search for the larger splined yokes . My back ground is electrical so my mechanical knowledge to describe the splines to a mechanical shop to see if they can get them cut probably would be important when I start making some phone inquires .

thanks for any help

Manic GT

Advertisement

I have the same problem, electrical, so I would take the output shafts with and and say "as per sample please"

Good luck with the build.

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Okay, here goes nothing.

This seems to be a big problem with these mods. I had someone from Sweden offer me a 365 CW and pinion in exchange for machining a pair of those yokes here in Oz, and couldn't find anywhere to do it so I missed out on the deal.

Steve Swan (user name Dauphproto?) in Scotland might be able to help, but then again you might have to send him the parts.

Meanwhile, I would suggest another avenue. Have a look at the BMW 2002 diff and see if you can't bodge something that way. From hazy memory someone suggested this avenue a while back (either machining the splines on the outdrives or using the entire satellite carrier of the diff, can't remember).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

I too will be looking to get the yokes machined. Any machine shop the does internal spline cutting should be able to do it.

It wasn't a problem here by us in NZ. A company did it with Spark Erosion and the BMW U-joint story could be because Ross used BMW U-joints. The Cross is solid on them unlike the cross on the Renault with a hole in the middle and they are the same sizes.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

I take the sample male and female splines with the drive yokes to a person who can do wire cutting, and I get back perfect fit splined yokes. They are not cheap to do as they need to make a centering tool to zero the yoke. Have 4 sets in cars and they work very well.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post

Steve Swan (user name Dauphproto?) in Scotland might be able to help, but then again you might have to send him the parts.
    8gordiniworkshop
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Thanks for the response ! I am located approximately 3 hours away from a machine shop that possibly may be able to do this type of splining of the old 330 yoke so it make sense to make some initial inquires prior to taking a trip to show them my request. So to me it would be easier to call around with a description of what the desired spline size that I am looking for .

Some other things I am considering is finding some splined tubing and machine the 330 yoke to allow me to press in the tubing than tig -weld it in place . Another thought is would it be easier and cheaper to do a outside spline on the R16 stub shaft ? I touched the spline portion of the R16 stub with a file and it seemed to mark with the file so machining seems possible ? I do have a couple of the R16 shafts around but it seems a bit of a waste to cut them apart to get some splined collars to experiment with .
    Last edited by manicgt; 21st January 2016 at 03:19 AM.

Ove

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Okay, here goes nothing.

This seems to be a big problem with these mods. I had someone from Sweden offer me a 365 CW and pinion in exchange for machining a pair of those yokes here in Oz, and couldn't find anywhere to do it so I missed out on the deal. ...
    Hey,

i'm not from Sweden but Germany.
    I bought years ago two machined universal joints via ebay in Australia from a guy named Richard Mann.

Cheers

Ove

Hey, Germany, Sweden, same thing on the maps we use. You know, to make Australia small enough to fit on one page? That kinda shrinks everything else beyond detection (especially if you're over 40).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Colliers were getting them done in Sydney when this was a more popular mod. Perhaps they got them done in batches and have spares?
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Came across a picture of one of the CVs assembled :

330 big box build-8-10-uj.jpg

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Hi Richard Mann in Melbourne has made a batch of bigger universal joints suitable for your big 330 gearbox. This includes stronge
    r Uni crosses? Should you decide to go this way I can give you his contact information
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sealey View Post
    Hi Richard Mann in Melbourne has made a batch of bigger universal joints suitable for your big 330 gearbox. This includes stronge r Uni crosses? Should you decide to go this way I can give you his contact information . Rob
    Hello Rob, Is there any chance you can send me his contact details as I would like to buy a set. Regards, Peter

Pretty sure he is "lotus Europa" or similar on here?
    KB

I managed to find his phone number via the Lotus forum in Australia. Just spoke with him thanks. Cheers for the lead Rob.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

To make things even better, I have just found a company in the uk that will make me a bespoke set for less than 100.00 excellent!!!!!

Ove

Quote Originally Posted by BenoniJap View Post
    To make things even better, I have just found a company in the uk that will make me a bespoke set for less than 100.00 excellent!!!!!
    Would you mail me their adress please? Ove

Thread Information