Rally pic
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rally pic

Default Rally pic

My brother just emailed me this, but typically for him no note, info or comments just an unannounced - "here's a pic of Renault rally cars"

Advertisement

I have no idea when, where, who etc but post it for the enjoyment of R8 and R12 G fans
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rally pic-image.jpg  
    KB

Now I look a bit closer, it is obviously the works line up for an early 70's Dulux rally but interestingly the Bob Watson R12G is still lhd!
    Would BIN be the collier car and AVG the Jansen car or the other way around?

It would appear to be the 1971 Dulux rally. Rob Lee's site suggests BIN is Roger Bonholmme's car; obviously R12G Bob W. AVG appears to be the car Watson drove in 71 til he changed to the R12 mid year, then back for. A few rallies later in the year so who would be driving it in this event?
    Last edited by renault8&10; 19th January 2016 at 02:18 PM.
    KB

That basement structure looks a little dodgie so it can't be in Queensland. But by the looks of the oil leaks I'd say they were reqular visitors..
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    That basement structure looks a little dodgie so it can't be in Queensland. But by the looks of the oil leaks I'd say they were reqular visitors..
    Those oil leaks are at the front of the R8Gs. Unless its brake fluid, it must be from somebody else

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Where were you living in mid '71?
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Now I look a bit closer, it is obviously the works line up for an early 70's Dulux rally but interestingly the Bob Watson R12G is still lhd!
    Would BIN be the collier car and AVG the Jansen car or the other way around?

It would appear to be the 1971 Dulux rally. Rob Lee's site suggests BIN is Roger Bonholmme's car; obviously R12G Bob W. AVG appears to be the car Watson drove in 71 til he changed to the R12 mid year, then back for. A few rallies later in the year so who would be driving it in this event?
    Rob Lee is he the same Rob Lee that was in the Renault Car Club of SA in the early to mid 70's?

I do remember him and his wife Carol were active members when I was in the Club!

I'm sure it would be but I don't know his wife's name - I've only met her once.
    Rob still owns a yellow R8G that he would have owned back then. He did have an orange A110 at one stage, not sure if he still does but he would have only bought that in the late 80's or maybe early 90's.
    KB

Where were you living in mid '71?
    Doh!
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

My brother has also kindly solved the problem of having to get the R8 bodyshell rust repaired for the current project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rally pic-image.jpg  
    KB

Great pic of the 12G as well, it was campaigned as a LHD very early on after arriving in Australia. For the 1972 Dulux (and 1972 ARC events) it was obviously converted to RHD. Also in the pic it still looks like the oil cooler is located in front of the radiator as the car would have been delivered, and note the original sump guard and alloy wheels (changed back to steelies for 1972). Also note the black headliners in the 8Gs, to reduce reflections around the interior from the white headlining.

Love the letter in regards to the body as well. Was this a replacement body for a bent 8G? Or just a request for a body to built an Uber R8? Did he end up buying the body, as one wonders where it would be now. The RBA inflation calculator converts the $420 to ~$4220 in 2014 dollars, so not as cheap as it looks :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

My brother has also kindly solved the problem of having to get the R8 bodyshell rust repaired for the current project.
    Is your brother John Doutch or Mr Higginson? John was a member of RCCD, but I never met Mr Higginson...
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Neither.
    I have no idea where my brother got these from but he's obviously teasing me emailing them one at a time.
    Knowing him, he probably picked them up in some furniture at a garage sale or similar.

He has no known connection to Renaults at all.
    KB

Neither.
    I have no idea where my brother got these from but he's obviously teasing me emailing them one at a time.
    Knowing him, he probably picked them up in some furniture at a garage sale or similar.

He has no known connection to Renaults at all.
    I think he found them at A/F!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

What makes you think that Kim?

Ironically, he did buy a Peugeot last year at some stage. I don't know what sort. A relatively recent turbo charged one - 308 something maybe? He bought it at auction I think.
    KB

I thought I'd seen the J.D. letter from Renault Australia on here somewhere before, if not, one similar...

My brother just emailed me this, but typically for him no note, info or comments just an unannounced - "here's a pic of Renault rally cars"

I have no idea when, where, who etc but post it for the enjoyment of R8 and R12 G fans
    Could the photo be from 1971 Dulux Rally?

The photo appears to be the same as one here (need to scroll down some way):-

RENAULT 12 GORDINI - Page : 17 - Histoires du sport automobile - FORUM Sport Auto

Not a great deal more information, but has few more photos
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 19th January 2016 at 09:37 PM.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Yes, I think it is the 1971 Dulux rally.
    Agreed fivedoor, the photo looks the same. There is also a more close up shot of the R12G there too.
    KB

I will take 2 (Two), please !!!!

Ray

Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Could the photo be from 1971 Dulux Rally?
    If you want more pics of the car, do a search in the Autopics website. There are plenty of there of the car at the 1971 (as LHD) and 1972 Dulux (as RHD). Motorsports Photos | Car Photos | Signed Memorabila | Autopics
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

We all wish we could buy a few each Ray - (even at Simon's corrective 2015/16 prices).

My brother has told me he found the pics on the Australian Rally History Facebook page, and sent them to me as he thought I would like them. He (Lindsay Byron) used to rally starting back in Mini's then Datsuns' (primarily an ex Road & Rally 180B SSS) in the 70's and 80's. The 180B had SSS Automotive signwriting for most of it's life with him, then got sold off to someone from the Newcastle area from memory. He runs an Evo now, but also dabbles in leasing out Hyundai excels.

KB
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

I have had contact with John Doutch and he is in the process of becoming a member so will no doubt give more details of the RG8 bodyshell.Ironically, given the post title John is an outstanding rally photographer!

Peter.
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Tadpole

Sadly, I didn't take Renault Aust up on the offer of a Gordini shell. The intention was to re-shell a very tired R8 rally car.
    The figure of $420 was a lot in those days (for a broke student!), and that was a very bare shell!

But wouldn't we love to be able to buy one now though John?
    I'm about to pay around $6k for a tired R8 shell to be rust repaired for a restoration project and that's without paint (primer only) and no front or rear guards, or bonnet included.
    KB

Thread Information