well meaning friends
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By renault8&10

Thread: well meaning friends

Default well meaning friends

G'day Froggers, just an update on my repair status. I have never removed a strut before. My normal go to guy was out. I went to another a friend and he told me it's easy. He told me what to do and stood by. When the strut came crashing down on my rubber boot he realised he had told me the wrong way. We tried to lift the strut back into position with a jack. We were so close when the whole strut just let go. It of course has ****ed the rubber boot, S**T! I didn't get angry. I know he meant well. We also all sometimes forget the most obvious things. I just had to pack up and walk away for the day. Is there any way to patch the boot that you can suggest. I have neither the time or excess money right now to pull it all apart. Yours Sincerely Shane

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE51 View Post
    G'day Froggers, just an update on my repair status. I have never removed a strut before. My normal go to guy was out. I went to another a friend and he told me it's easy. He told me what to do and stood by. When the strut came crashing down on my rubber boot he realised he had told me the wrong way. We tried to lift the strut back into position with a jack. We were so close when the whole strut just let go. It of course has ****ed the rubber boot, S**T! I didn't get angry. I know he meant well. We also all sometimes forget the most obvious things. I just had to pack up and walk away for the day. Is there any way to patch the boot that you can suggest. I have neither the time or excess money right now to pull it all apart. Yours Sincerely Shane
    Rethink....Renault r19 timing belt fiendishly difficult to replace.
    Do not under any circumstances attempt it yourself, get an expert to do the job.

Jo

G'day Jo, my usual go to guy is a master of his trade. I have replaced timing chains before and understand the pitfalls. I do however love learning things. Part of that process is asking questions and accepting guidance. Why is it so "fiendishly difficult"? What do I need to look out for. While this repair is underway I am also going to replace the fan belt. Anything I need to look out for there? Yours Sincerely Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE51 View Post
    G'day Jo, my usual go to guy is a master of his trade. I have replaced timing chains before and understand the pitfalls. I do however love learning things. Part of that process is asking questions and accepting guidance. Why is it so "fiendishly difficult"? What do I need to look out for. While this repair is underway I am also going to replace the fan belt. Anything I need to look out for there? Yours Sincerely Shane.
    I'm just talking the piss, Shane, based on todays efforts with the mate.

If you rapidly release stored energy (spring) and don't get injured or something does not get majorly damaged, think yourself lucky. You may have dodged a bullet.

just to make things crystal clear, when I said undo the strut from the control arm, I'm talking about the bottom end of the strut.

Clearly caution should be exercised when undoing the top end of the strut without spring compressors in place, but you probably know that...now.

Jo

Phew....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

As a well meaning friend, can I let you know that using paragraphs will make reading your posts so much easier.

Have a good day.
    JohnW likes this.
    KB

Thread Information