Renault Gods not smiling on me, lol.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JohnW

Thread: Renault Gods not smiling on me, lol.

Default Renault Gods not smiling on me, lol.

G'day Froggers, as you know I bought my first European car around 8 months ago. Firstly, I have had two near new tyres blow out on me. The previous ten years produced the same result. I of course have no spare tyre with the car. The first time I had to wait some 30 minutes before a lady came along and let me use her mobile phone, as I have never owned one. Some 40 minutes after that my friend came and picked me up. The next time just happened to be Xmas day. My dog and I had to walk some 5 km's before we were picked up by a family. My car, Renee was on the side of a major country highway for 3 nights. Thankfully around here it is still fairly safe.

The next problem concerned the rear drum brakes. The pads had separated from the shoes on one side. When I went to change the other side, there were no brake components within. The handbrake cable had just been pushed in to give it the appearance of working. The slave cylinder was still in position, however they had hammered the brake line flat where it connects into the brake. They obviously did this to stop it draining the brake fluid resivour.

When I purchased Renee I noticed some rust around the driver's side suspension tower. I took it to a friend of mine and we both agreed it was just surface rust and could be easily treated. Boy has that come back to bite me in the arse! Within a month I had wire brushed it and treated it with anti rust. I had always planned to have a friend weld a plate over the top of. Xmas and life in general took over. I finally had a friend come look at it for me. During the following months since I treated the tower, a crack in the metal has opened up. It runs from the front of the tower around half way down the side towards the firewall. The tower has moved upwards around a 1/8th of an inch. Two of my welder friends won't weld it due to the thinness of the metal. They said it is even to thin for a Mig welder. They have both said it needs to be Oxy welded. Well of course that is a dying art due to technology and the cost of gas. I am going to have to sandwich the crack between two pieces of mild steel and rivet it back together. Thankfully my trade comes in handy here.

Renee has a good paint job. The interior is in very good condition. The motor purrs like a kitten. Admittedly it has been a while since I have owned an auto. Despite of what I have read and heard, the automatic gearbox is the most responsive I have owned.

I hope after this the Renault Gods will smile on me, lol. Yours Sincerely Shane.

Advertisement

Drill a hole right at the end of the crack too? Spread the stress from the point of cracking and help stop it moving....

Keep smiling.
    Sunroof and FedGrapes like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

SO RENEE IS A RENAULT WITH AN AUTO AND A Mc PHERSON STRUT FRONT END, ANY MORE CLUES ps and drum brakes on the rear pugs

Thread Information