Renault Scenic 2003 Aicon
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Renault Scenic 2003 Aicon

Default Renault Scenic 2003 Aicon

Hi i have a 2003 Renault scenic and for a number of years have had a problem with the air con which is it works most of the time (perfect) then other times it wont turn on ie: the clutch wont engage.
    Also sometimes when it is not working and driving along going over a bump on the road can make it come on.
    So thinking it is a short in the wiring somewhere . But where, has any one had this problem and found a short in the wiring. as not getting power to the clutch.
    Fan always works on all speeds it has climate control , Yes swapped it with a working one.
    Please note over the years lots of things have been looked at and even replaced with no change. THE fan resistor,pressure switch,climate control panel have all been changed, gas is fully charged and has never leaked. (its been checked)
    When it works its perfect icy cold.
    Im looking for a short in the wiring Any one had a problem like this .
    thx

Advertisement

COL

Your problem will not be a short, it will be a bad connection somewhere.

With these sorts of problems (intermittent) can be hard to find sometimes. At the time when you are looking for the problem the fault needs to be there.

The fault could be just a bad connection in a plug somewhere or it may even be in the air con controller.

I know I'm not much help, maybe you need to take it to a good auto sparkie.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

yes i used wrong wording not a short as would blow fuses etc. a bad connection is better.
    Have checked every plug can get to even with top dash off.
    As for a good sparky well you can guess what they want give me $500 and we should be able to fix it after we replace every thing.
    but carnt tell you what the problem is ,cos they dont know. Bit like a Renault dealer lol
    The air con controller has been swapped over from another car.as i have 4 spear scenics to get parts from. so not that.

Could there be a bad connection inside the clutch unit itself? With four (greedy ) spare Scenics you might have one.

Good luck. I hate intermittents.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

.yes could be, im starting to think prob is somewhere under or around the fuse box in the engine bay.
    yes to many Renaults 2x scenic RX4, 3x scenic , 2x scenic II , 1 x megane II, 2x koleos
    all for sale except koleos
    scenics were my hobby but kinda over them going to play with the koleoss now

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Could there be a bad connection inside the clutch unit itself? With four (greedy ) spare Scenics you might have one.

Good luck. I hate intermittents.
    Good idea John and could be swapped over fairly easily.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Could you wire in a temporary LED telltale in parallel with the clutch feed? I'm presuming it's a variable displacement compressor so mostly stays on when the AC is selected.

Hi: You can usually hear the air con clutch engage when put your head under the bonnet. So maybe get a friend to turn your air con off and on as you listen under the bonnet. Or turn it on and connect and disconnect it at the connector. With the car stationary no other movement should occur to wiring. I'd suspect that it is the air con clutch itself - on its way out. If it works sometimes and not others on this test I'd be looking at swapping the clutch/compressor.

don't think its the clutch as when it works you can turn it on and off a dozen times, this car has had this problem for 5 years,so the clutch would have given up by now. With the car stationary can hear the clutch kick in when it works.
    but yes it could be the clutch with a mind of its own, just a tricky thing to get at.

Thread Information