Renault sales decline here in 2016?
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Renault sales decline here in 2016?

Default Renault sales decline here in 2016?

So ever the keen Renault fan, I decided to see what deals Renault have over the next three months to kick 2016 off to a good start sales wise. Now I know currency issues have caused some problems for Renault, but upon seeing the new car deals, I really was surprised. Based on RRP, and the current 'deals', Renault are charging almost $5k for on roads on a base model auto Clio. The current driveaway price is $25,000 against a RRP of $20,290 (plus on-roads). There's a similar premium for Megane and Captur models as well, and the Clio RS that was $30,000 driveaway in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2015 now at $34,750 driveaway against an RRP of $29,490 without on-roads. It's possible that Renault have increased their RRP's on 1 January, and it just hasn't been reported anywhere yet.

Those that bought a Koleos 12 months or so ago at $25,990 driveaway ($27,990 for an auto) will be pleased as punch given Renault now have the auto on special for $35,000 driveaway against it's RRP of $29,990.

With price rises that steep, it kind of makes it hard to justify buying a Renault to friends. Renault have had some pretty amazing sales growth the last 4 years, and it hadn't been at the expense of customer service like some other Euro brands (I know someone who had a six week wait for a service at their dealer for another brand, and after ringing around other dealers, three weeks was the soonest they could get, but it was $300 more than their dealer).

While they've packaged it up with 0% finance, price jumps of that sort of magnitude aren't going to help the brand for new car sales. It may help result, but changeover for existing owners might make them look elsewhere.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Wonderful news that Renault Australia are increasing/maintaining prices at realistic levels at last - that will help underpin used and trade-in prices for those who have a Renault and want to trade up or sell. On the other hand, there are some excellent deals to be taken advantage of on the last of the current models, including the Koloes Bose versions. In fact, I have received a letter from Renault, inviting me to purchase one, two, or even three of the current models (all except commercials) at the price of the lesser model - for me that translates to a 2015 Koleos Bose for the price of an Expression, thereby saving $5000. Regrettably I had just a month ago traded up to a 'slightly used' (abused?) version of same because the sums on a new one fell short by exactly that amount! - bugger! It's all about timing eh! Or being a clairvoyant.

COL

Not hard to work out why the price has gone up, seeing as our Dollar has gone down in value and most likely the old stock has been sold.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Not hard to work out why the price has gone up, seeing as our Dollar has gone down in value and most likely the old stock has been sold.
    Yeah I understand that, and price hikes are inevitable, but to jump 14-20% in one hit is pretty steep. Most other manufacturers tend to go in a few jumps of 3-5% over a period of time rather than all in one hit. It just makes them seem expensive.

Banned

As a retailer in the past would have said, you get what you pay for........the AUD has been all over the place with the EURO, as high as 0.84 back in August 2012, which is when a smart Renault Australia Director would have bought a lot of cars, and probably did. We are now travelling at 0.6454.
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 7th January 2016 at 10:33 PM.

I dont think there is such a thing as a smart Renault Australia Director! As iv read that they think there is no demand for a diesel CAPTUR in Australia. When in the UK and Europe the diesel is the most popular and the reviews all say the diesel is the best.
    Wouldnt you think they would bring a few in and see how well they sell.
    I kinda like them but with no diesel and the fact they have gone back to the 1970s and put drum brakes on the rear.
    What next manually wind down windows.

1000+ Posts

Bringing in just a few cars to test the market is probably not an option when they must be modified in most cases just pass our ADR's. There is probably a high charge for this approval that has to be spread over quite few vehicles before it is cost effective to do it.

When looking at such data, I would like to see similar figures for other manufacturers to compare. We are going through a recession and for some of the Euro manufacturers who don't usually bother too much with auto transmissions our market is of little interest. The unstable but most likely to drop further currency is another undesirable factor in long term import planning.

Renault did very well when our currency was up so their cars comparatively cheaper but I don't think they're seriously established here yet. In my opinion they should have capitalised further by introducing some of their real cut price range like Dacia even if that would have cannibalised some of the Nissan sales in the SUV market especially. I think the Logan MCV would have sold in huge numbers especially to fleet buyers. Who knows what the group's policy is?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Apart from the all new Megane at the end of the year, there's not a lot of new product coming our way, so I can't really see sales improving much more on 2015's. In fact I'm not going to be surprised if we see sales dip below 10,000 units this year because of the drought in new product. Trailsman and Espace only LHD, no Kadjar - this still has me dumbfounded, no Twingo, Megane sedan and wagon will get here in 2017, but we may see an all new Koleos right at the end of the year, but more like 2017 and then the Alaskan Ute, which will be 2017. It's like they've gone back to late 70's and early 80's, where everything was being ruled out for our market. And if Renault tries to push itself as a premium product and further upmarket, we can expect to see pricing reflect this, which will turn buyers away. The Australian dollar won't help either. Should Renault be using South Korea more as it's Asian base??

Dacia, I believe is an opportunity missed, especially with the Duster. Though if Renault pushes itself upmarket, they'll be room for Dacia underneath it.

How many vehicles does one need to sell before it becomes 'mainstream' or 'established'?? Land Rover sold nearly the same amount of vehicles as Renault did in 2015 (11,000+), would they call themselves 'established'??
    2016 Holden Astra RS-V 1.6L Turbo Manual Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive

2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Past Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    1995 Renault 19 Alize 1.8L Manual Sedan - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive

Thread Information