Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Breitie
  • 2 Post By Breitie
  • 1 Post By Breitie

Thread: R-Link updates

Default R-Link updates

Hi all,

Advertisement

Does anybody know how often mapping updates become available via the R-Link system?

I dutifully registered when I purchased the sat-nav enabled Megane in April and every day my PC tells me that my R-Link memory card is up to date.

There has been some substantial changes in various road infrastructure here in Brisbane of recent times and the current sat-nav mapping is well behind the game.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not doing something correctly.

Regards and Happy New Year,

pj

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not doing something correctly.
    Probably not, based on some of the sh!t software and firmware and programming malaise that many vehicle manufacturers foist upon their car owners.

And then they call the device "fully featured", the dealer network can't support it, and updates, some of which don't work come at an exorbitant cost.

The problem is not limited to Renault either....

1000+ Posts

Blue tooth on my Toyota is a good example of stuff that doesn't work and couldn't be made to work unless I got an old original blue tooth phone as it was designed for early blue tooth and not compatible with the later stuff.

Same with my ex imported Toyota Estima navigation system.

It spoke to me in Japanese and complained about not receiving base stations from Tokoyo and environs.

Piece of poor design in my opinion.

Fujitsu general must build crap electronics.

Tadpole

I am very annoyed with the RLink system. After inserting card into computer, advised "up to date" What a joke. Maps at least 3 years out of date. How or where, can I have the RLink truly updated?

Fellow Frogger!

Apparently there was a recent update to the R-link System earlier this year. How do I know this? Well, when I took my Koleos to the dealer for an unrelated matter, they said they would take the opportunity to up-load (down-load?) the latest version, free-of-charge, as it was a factory sponsored recall/update.

They promptly did this for me as was evident from the fact that all my carefully and laboriously selected settings and destinations were lost, and I had to do it all over again (annoying!). I cannot say if the subsequent version is any better than the last because the Navigation Nazi Woman still does not understand what I want her to do! And the new system still does not pick up several fixed speed cameras that my previous TomTom system recognised.

Addendum: It seems to me that the latest R-link System is woefully out of date, and inferior to the previous TomTom Carminat system, whatever it's shortcomings, which was 'LIVE' and always connected and receiving running updates and therefore always spot on.
    Last edited by Breitie; 24th June 2016 at 08:38 AM.
    Reaper likes this.

Tadpole

The RLink does not even recognise major highways/freeways. Some of these roads have been around for 5+ years. Next service, I will request them to update the RLink. The RLink, seems to be the true missing link.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    The RLink does not even recognise major highways/freeways. Some of these roads have been around for 5+ years. Next service, I will request them to update the RLink. The RLink, seems to be the true missing link.
    I call the R-link System the "Confusing Road Atlas Program" -( C.R.A.P. )
    Last edited by Breitie; 4th July 2016 at 05:03 PM.
    Reaper and jaahn like this.

1000+ Posts

Got a notice via text from Renault about updating R-link prior to April 6.
    http://bit.ly/2CuVZh8
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Hi Jo
    I looked at that link and put my vin into the box, but it says "Your system does not require any updates "
    So as my car has not been to a dealer for several years I would not expect any update to be useful. It is well out of date and not useful in any places that have been changed in the last 10 years IMHO. Usual crap system foisted on us
    Jaahn

Who does the maps poor navigation falls on the map provider if you had a peugeot you would have upto date maps

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

I'd guess that only older original R-Link units are affected. The WNRO Bug is universal, not restricted to Renault or Tom Tom devices....

https://www.orolia.com/resources/blo...-you-need-know
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Thank you JoBo, for reminding me to update my R-Link. It is easy to forget and overlook so that nothing gets updated for months, sometime years.
    Your reminder motivated me to check for updates today and lo and behold, there were two important updates that were designated as 'mandatory'. I read that as 'important' or 'essential'. Well, I went through the procedure without any problems and after twenty minutes, it took that long, the system informed me that the 'update was successful'. Nice! I am curious to see what these updates present when I next try to find my way. My car is a 2014 Koleos Bose.
    JoBo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Ours is a Jan 2015 build Megane.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Thread Information