Dauphine Ryco Oil Filter
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alan moore

Thread: Dauphine Ryco Oil Filter

Default Dauphine Ryco Oil Filter

I noticed this ad listed in the For Sale section below.

Wasn't this on eBay for a while??

Anyway, it def has a Ryco spin on/off oil filter.

Advertisement

Anybody have any clues how it's done?

Renault Dauphine GORDINI 1963 excellent condition r8 r10 r17 citroen peugoet For Sale Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | AutoMotoClassicSale.com
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

I thought all Dauphine Gs had an aluminium casting attached to where the oil pressure switch would be, which then had a bypass filtration set up rather than full flow. The correct Purflux filter is an LS131, whose entry hole for the oil is quite restricted, my guess is so that not too much oil is taken away from the bearings. The Ryco in place in the For Sale ad I guess is a full flow type that does not restrict the flow and so may starve the bearings, although perhaps the aluminium casting already has a restriction in its design.

I believe the car in the ad was owned by a teacher in Brisbane, and was sold for under $2K. I did consider it, but truly with 7 cars and 10 motorbikes, some dismantled, and with my wife already owning a Dauphine G, though I rarely get to drive it, I didn't need it. It doesn't look like much has been done since it left Brisbane.
    JohnW likes this.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    I thought all Dauphine Gs had an aluminium casting attached to where the oil pressure switch would be, which then had a bypass filtration set up rather than full flow. The correct Purflux filter is an LS131, whose entry hole for the oil is quite restricted, my guess is so that not too much oil is taken away from the bearings. The Ryco in place in the For Sale ad I guess is a full flow type that does not restrict the flow and so may starve the bearings, although perhaps the aluminium casting already has a restriction in its design.

I believe the car in the ad was owned by a teacher in Brisbane, and was sold for under $2K. I did consider it, but truly with 7 cars and 10 motorbikes, some dismantled, and with my wife already owning a Dauphine G, though I rarely get to drive it, I didn't need it. It doesn't look like much has been done since it left Brisbane.
    My understanding is that most bypass filters divert about 10% of the circulating oil to the filter. That oil is usually very thoroughly filtered. A full flow filter filters all the circulating oil but with a less thorough filter medium. Nevertheless, it is a better system as crud will get trapped more quickly & stuff fine enough to get through (& which would eventually get caught by a bypass filter) is mostly fine enough to be fairly harmlessly held in suspension by modern oils.

As far as I know, the standard pump suffices to sustain adequate pressure with a full flow filter. In an earlier iteration of my 4CVG, it ran with D-G mechanicals &, after unsuccessfully investigating the possibility of fitting both types of filter, an arrangement using the standard R12 Purflux filter plumbed with a Valiant bracket was fitted. This seemed to work well; certainly I didn't ever get the oil pressure warning light on (although we never measured pressure in any other way). The car was driven hard for sustained periods & the oil would he been getting hot & thin so . . . . .

The upshot of all of this is that I'd say that the modification is probably more to be celebrated than feared.

cheers! Peter

I hadn't looked at how the Dauphine G bypass filter operated, believing it simply drained off to the sump, rather than going off to pressure feed some part of the system.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

1000+ Posts

I seem to remember seeing a 4cv on here with a bypass from the rocker shaft out of the back of the head to the remote mounted filter and i presume back to the sump via a pipe welded in ,think it was the one going to auction at shannons with the gaudy dress rims

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    I seem to remember seeing a 4cv on here with a bypass from the rocker shaft out of the back of the head to the remote mounted filter and i presume back to the sump via a pipe welded in ,think it was the one going to auction at shannons with the gaudy dress rims
    That looked to me a bit like a FRAM or similar device, very much aftermarket. I've an American made aftermarket by-pass filter kit for a 4CV/Dauphine that is a bit like the original ones, and it just discharges freely back into the sump through a drilled hole in the side of the block. There's a small orifice, 2-3 mm from memory, that I presume provides enough resistance to keep the oil pressure up.

The author of my Repco Engine Service Manual, itself a bit old now, is adamant that by-pass filters are a waste of time. Certainly they can't remove debris quickly and effectively if something breaks, but I'd have thought keeping the particulate concentration low can't be a bad thing.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information