koleos
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: koleos

Tadpole

Default koleos

I've just got my ex demo koleos diesel auto,,for the first tank of fuel the computer is giving a figure of 7.2 average .
    Filled up the second with bp!! I believe i t is one of the better ones but also with nulon diesel additive. I'm now getting 6.7 ltr per 100 km,
    Also looking at pro ma systems additives they seem very good at cleaning any babbues in the diesel.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

These diesel engines actually get better fuel consumption once that reach 6000k's according to the owners manual. I think mine improved after 9,000 k's.

Fellow Frogger!

Not Koleos but all my previous Renault diesels have just got better in both performance and economy untill around 20000 klms and then stayed at that level during my ownership,so you may have even more to look forward to.And in the last one there was a difference when using BP Ultimate diesel.

Enjoy,

Peter
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

I agree with Peter, my Koleos diesel took 20K plus km to give full performance. I must be using all of it because I can only dream of fuel consumption figures in the sixes and sevens. Best I get in city traffic is about 9.2 and maybe 8.3 on highway at the highest possible cruise speed, both with aircon. Anyone else have similar numbers?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I agree with Peter, my Koleos diesel took 20K plus km to give full performance. I must be using all of it because I can only dream of fuel consumption figures in the sixes and sevens. Best I get in city traffic is about 9.2 and maybe 8.3 on highway at the highest possible cruise speed, both with aircon. Anyone else have similar numbers?
    Haven't had those kind of figures since the days of V6s. We are now 5.5 - 6.5 around the City and <5 on the highway.

And that's a petrol vehicle

Don't worry Rob, I've owned a 1956 Ford Mainline and a 1962 Chev Bel Air in the past so you can see that fuel consumption has never been a concern. I like larger vehicles as a rule, so that I and a few others can fit into them comfortably plus I use four wheel drive regularly, and it all costs money. The days of driving a buzzbox around with your knees under your chin are long gone for mine.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Don't worry Rob, I've owned a 1956 Ford Mainline and a 1962 Chev Bel Air in the past so you can see that fuel consumption has never been a concern. I like larger vehicles as a rule, so that I and a few others can fit into them comfortably plus I use four wheel drive regularly, and it all costs money. The days of driving a buzzbox around with your knees under your chin are long gone for mine.
    So are your days of performance and precise handling Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    So are your days of performance and precise handling Kim.

I know you are going to love this, Rob, but my last two new 4x4 vehicles, the RX4 and the Koleos comfortably outperfom all the other "performance and precise handling" new Renaults I've ever owned, R10, R16, R16TS and R12 wagon. They are not only much faster, but dare I say it, handle equally to or better than those earlier vehicles. The ride of an R16/TS is still much to be admired, although I'd suggest the RX4 was on a par in that department. So no, my days of "performance and precise handling" are not yet over, they continue!

I know you are going to love this, Rob, but my last two new 4x4 vehicles, the RX4 and the Koleos comfortably outperfom all the other "performance and precise handling" new Renaults I've ever owned, R10, R16, R16TS and R12 wagon. They are not only much faster, but dare I say it, handle equally to or better than those earlier vehicles. The ride of an R16/TS is still much to be admired, although I'd suggest the RX4 was on a par in that department. So no, my days of "performance and precise handling" are not yet over, they continue!
    Compare it to current Megane or Clio or almost any modern European hot hatch for that matter.

And the Koleos is what it is- a SUV designed primarily as a "family 4wd". Complete with the vagaries of electric steering and self inflicted high centre of gravity and vehicle mass handling limitations

I'd hasten to add there is a raft of similar vehicles which are equally good/ bad depending on your perspective and perceived needs.

The point I'm making is that the Koleos will never be the same as a hot hatch. Very much horses for courses.

Based on your adulation and Breitie's high praises ,for it's position in the market I'm sure it performs it's designed purpose very well.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi - I concur with RobMac. an SUV is an SUV is an SUV. And I drive one! Inherent in the SUV design is high COG, high roll centers high mass, heavy unsprung wheels. I know I will get howled out of here by Kim as it is a Japanese vehicle, but for what it is, I am actually very happy with it. My colleague has the Koleos, and I have been in it on a number of occasions. It is smaller than my SUV, but similar in regards to taut suspension, performance and fuel economy, relative to it being an SUV.

Recently I travelled 848km and used 51Lt diesel, with AC on for half the trip, I wasn't dawdling. Drove from Melb city, down to Sale, Bairnsdale, Paynesville, up to the high country through Bruthen, Omeo, Mt Hothom, Bright, Broadford, then filled up. Do the math, 6Lt/100km, I consider that is pretty good considering the trip and it is an SUV.

Oh what SUV is it. Well it is the current 2.2Lt turbo diesel, 6 speed auto RAV4.

Even driven a Cayenne? That would certainly change your mind about handling (and performance). Handling, ride and performance are possible in SUV, you just need to have a free $100k odd.

Rattle on all you want. My driving career is nowhere near over and according to tests I did recently I still have the reaction time of an average 22 year old. I drive hard and enjoy doing it, so it doesn't matter what the vehicle is, I'll wring it's neck to get the best out of it. To a true enthusiast every vehicle is a sports car, not a challenge!

P.S: For those uneducated amongst us, an S.U.V. (Sports Utility Vehicle) is an American category of vehicle weighing a minimum of three tonnes and based on a utility. People who own Foresters, Yetis, Koleos, Rav4, CRV etc have their hands on it when they call their cars SUV's, just like the media. Those little passenger cars are not in the same league of stupidity........

God help all other road users with KL in a Koleos driven at terminal velocity !

I don't know where you trawled your definition of SUV from

Wiki seems to suggest a very different definition which is more in accord with general usage...

The term is not used in all countries, and outside North America the terms "off-road vehicle", "four-wheel drive" or "four-by-four" (abbreviated to "4WD" or "44") or simply use of the brand name to describe the vehicle like "Jeep" or "Land Rover" are more common.
    In Europe, the term SUV has a similar meaning, but being newer than in the U.S. it only applies to the newer street oriented one, where-as "Jeep", "Land Rover" or 4x4 are used for the off-roader oriented ones. Not all SUVs have four-wheel drive capabilities, and not all four-wheel-drive passenger vehicles are SUVs. Although some SUVs have off-road capabilities, they often play only a secondary role, and SUVs often do not have the ability to switch among two-wheel and four-wheel-drive high gearing and four-wheel-drive low gearing. While automakers tout an SUV's off-road prowess with advertising and naming, the daily use of SUVs is largely on paved roads.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_utility_vehicle
    Last edited by robmac; 19th December 2015 at 04:11 PM.

The term is not used in all countries, and outside North America the terms "off-road vehicle", "four-wheel drive" or "four-by-four" (abbreviated to "4WD" or "44") or simply use of the brand name to describe the vehicle like "Jeep" or "Land Rover" are more common.

In case you have not noticed, Australia is not North America and/or Europe. The term S.U.V. is, unlike the conclusions of Wikepedia NOT a "Brand Name". A Jeep and a Landrover really have nothing in common with SUV's and it is only in the minds of those sick enough to consider our speech and nation another offshoot of good ole gun totin' USA that this ridiculous phrase has stuck as a description for anything that isn't a sedan, a ute, a hearse or a truck. A pox upon those who support the notion.

In case you have not noticed, Australia is not North America and/or Europe. The term S.U.V. is, unlike the conclusions of Wikepedia NOT a "Brand Name". A Jeep and a Landrover really have nothing in common with SUV's and it is only in the minds of those sick enough to consider our speech and nation another offshoot of good ole gun totin' USA that this ridiculous phrase has stuck as a description for anything that isn't a sedan, a ute, a hearse or a truck. A pox upon those who support the notion.
    Go drive your Koleos like a 22 year old and watch your licence (Grandpa).

Kim,
    like it or not many vehicle manufacturers in Australia refer to their Kiddy crushers/ Urban Cowboy Vehicles as SUVs. When it looks it like a SUV, drives like a SUV and sounds like a SUV. It's a bloody SUV. In spite of your arbitrary definition.

The naming of many vehicle categories is highly random anyway.

Please check out the links below, even your beloved Koleos is given the monica of SUV by Renault.

Request Your Renault Car Brochure Today - Renault

New Cars Toyota Australia: Prices, Service Centres, Dealers, Test Drives

New Peugeot 308 Showroom | Hatchback | European Car of the Year 2014

Nissan SUV Range 2015 - Nissan Australia

SUV Range ? Fuel Efficient, Safe & Sporty | Mazda Australia

RX: Lexus Australia

Holden SUVs - Sports Utility Vehicles Australia - 2015

Ford Australia - 2015 Ford Everest, Large 4WD Family SUV - Ford AUS
    Last edited by robmac; 19th December 2015 at 09:36 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Kim. We don't usually agree on much, but I am in accord with your disdain of the Americani[z]sation of the English/Australian language. I am done now, yah hear m'all.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Go drive your Koleos like a 22 year old and watch your licence (Grandpa).

Kim,
    like it one not many vehicle manufacturers in Australia refer to their Kiddy crushers/ Urban Cowboy Vehicles as SUVs. When it looks it like a SUV, drives like a SUV and sounds like a SUV. It's a bloody SUV. In spite your arbitrary definition.

The naming of many vehicle categories is highly random anyway.

Please check out the links below, even your beloved Koleos is given the monica of SUV by Renault.

Request Your Renault Car Brochure Today - Renault

New Cars Toyota Australia: Prices, Service Centres, Dealers, Test Drives

New Peugeot 308 Showroom | Hatchback | European Car of the Year 2014

Nissan SUV Range 2015 - Nissan Australia

SUV Range ? Fuel Efficient, Safe & Sporty | Mazda Australia

RX: Lexus Australia

Holden SUVs - Sports Utility Vehicles Australia - 2015

Ford Australia - 2015 Ford Everest, Large 4WD Family SUV - Ford AUS
    You appear to fail to understand that just because it is, isn't right!

You appear to fail to understand that just because it is, isn't right!
    Not all Kim,

The English language is not static , it's dynamic and definitions change with the times.
    A naming convention which is several years old, can change and evolve, as is the case with the current description of a SUV.
    And I choose to use the up to date definition, and accept what the majority vehicle manufacturers use as a description.

Equally so, I choose not to bound by a definition, that more than likely originated in Detroit, when the majority of SUVS were Jeep Cherokees.

For the benefit of yourself and any interested others, the letters S.U.V. are not a word, they are what us well educated bastards call an acronym. The original 1974 Cherokee did use the words "sport utility" but the V was absent. No manufacturer from anywhere else around the world used the term for decades. My Koleos is not an SUV except in the minds of Renault marketing department. If it sells more Renaults, so be it, but they are as close to the original 1974 Jeep Cherokee Sport Utility as Birds Nest Soup is to Minestrone.

Fellow Frogger!

I always though that SUV when applied to those big yank heaps was"socially unacceptable vehicle" !!! If not should be!

Peter.

ps. OP, diesels still get better with a few klms and won't change dspite all the debate above!
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

If it sells more Renaults, so be it, but they are as close to the original 1974 Jeep Cherokee Sport Utility as Birds Nest Soup is to Minestrone.
    Yes, Kim, that is exactly what I'm saying.

Over the last 41 years the vehicles have changed and so has the the meaning of the abbreviation "SUV".

Quite a simple concept, I would have thought.

Sorry, what 'sport' are we referring to in conjunction with the term SUV.
    Destroying wildlife, polluting the atmosphere, deforestation, and the everpopular flattening animals and toddlers (and the odd Nissan Micra or Toyota Yaris)?
    Seems car manufacturers put the work 'sport' into the name and immediately the pseudo-sportsman (and sports women) immediately swoon at the thought that they are engaging in some sort of sport activity by parking their fat arse in bloated gas-guzzling piece of metal and plastic. 90% of them never get off the bitumen so sport utility vehicle, not on your Nellie.
    Maybe we can engage some ambulance chasing law firm to sue the car manufacturers for blatant false advertising because there ain't no sport in those vehicles.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Destroying wildlife, polluting the atmosphere, deforestation, and the everpopular flattening animals and toddlers (and the odd Nissan Micra or Toyota Yaris)?
    Seems car manufacturers put the work 'sport' into the name and immediately the pseudo-sportsman (and sports women) immediately swoon at the thought that they are engaging in some sort of sport activity by parking their fat arse in bloated gas-guzzling piece of metal and plastic. 90% of them never get off the bitumen so sport utility vehicle, not on your Nellie.
    Maybe we can engage some ambulance chasing law firm to sue the car manufacturers for blatant false advertising because there ain't no sport in those vehicles.
    Geez! Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning! I wouldn't call my Koleos a "bloated gas-guzzling piece of metal and plastic" when it weighs in at little more than a local six cylinder car! I've had my car for six years and it does go into the bush regularly, but only on tracks. It has yet to destroy any wildlife, flatten any forests, animals or toddlers, complies with Australian pollution regulations (unlike some) and has a five star crash rating so were I unfortunate enough to encounter something as disgusting as a Toyota Yaris in a collision I wouldn't care. I think Ren Tin Tin must be suffering from "diminished four wheel drive ownership syndrome". It's quite common, so if I were he, I wouldn't worry too much!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Hooray for REN TIN TIN! I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of the totally silly S.U.V. phenomenon. Pure garbage but the easily led punters, mainly shopping and schooling mums, love it = and I can see why, because of the same reason I like my Koleos, namely because I do not have to crawl in and out of it. I don't mind so called 'mid-sized' S.U.V's, but cannot for the life of me get the reason why most of them start off 'mid sized' and then grow ever bigger. That shows that the 'bigger is better' syndrome is alive and well. Toyota now has about five huge behemoths to chose from and they are flying out the dealers doors. And, regrettably the 2016 Koleos is following that misguided trend. And because they won't let me have a new Kadjar in Australia, which is of sensible size, I will hang on to my excellent Koloes. (you sum me up perfectly robmac, I continue to have 'high praise' for it)

I continue to have 'high praise' for it
    So I take it we will never hear you say "I've bought a Jeep"...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information