Clio Hesitation from cold start
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Clio Hesitation from cold start

I asked this question some time ago without a reply so will try again. 2001 1.4 Clio which from a cold start hesitates several time and after perhaps 2 or 3 hundred metres runs fine. Seems like it is not sensing cold start but I am not knowledgeable enough with injection systems to know what the problem could be. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Regards Dennis.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Oh well such is life.

1000+ Posts

I guess no one else has had the problem or else they just took it to a mechanic.

1000+ Posts

Does the system have an air flow meter or a MAP? In any case, not likely neither would be the problem.
    Could be the air intake temp sensor or the coolant temp sensor. Just a connector problem. Check the simple things first but you have to find specs. If it's got an air flow meter you could clean it with a bit of carby spray but don't touch it.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Could be a air leak on or near the throttle body.
    It's past the AFM so isn't picked up by the computer and when the motor warms up the metal expands and seals the leak.
    You'd usually have a the idle running a bit higher while cold too.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the thoughts,I will investigate further.
    Regards Dennis

I did have a problem when I first bought mine. It only happened when it wasn't at full operating temperature, but was rare. The worst occasion was when I took it down to get registered.

There was about 4 times in the first three months when you really put your foot down, and it just felt gutless. I tipped some fuel injector cleaner into the tank, and it did it a couple of times after that. In the last four years, it's done it about three times, and then not again. Each time I've thought I haven't put fuel injector cleaner into it in a while, so I do next time I fill up. And it doesn't do it anymore (and didn't for a few days before I put fuel injector cleaner in either). Could be completely unrelated to your issue, and could be completely unrelated to the fuel injectors. But seems to act as a good reminder to me to stick some in.

Fellow Frogger!

My previous Clio 182 had this issue. It was resolved by replacing the lambda sensor closest to the manifold. (The sensor couldn't detect properly when cold but would come good when warmed up. It progressively got worse over time.)
    spiz

They all do it

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    They all do it
    I like that, it kind of gives me an excuse for my better half. It doesnt worry me anyway.
    Thanks to all Dennis

Thread Information