• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jaahn
  • 2 Post By jaahn

Thread: 2015 Megane A/C hiccup

Default 2015 Megane A/C hiccup

Hi all,

Driving from Sydney to Brisbane yesterday and about 3 hours up the road the aircon suddenly stopped blowing air. We tried all sorts of combinations and permutations with the controls for about 10 minutes but without any luck. The fan was roaring away but nothing was happening. It was time for a stop anyway so we pulled into a rest area and I peered under the bonnet to see if a hose was missing/ruptured/disconnected/whatever or if anything obvious was visible. I am not a mechanic and the under bonnet area is a bit "busy" anyway, but all I could see that was the tiniest bit suspicious was that the alloy piping with the R134 label was wet, which caused me to think there may have been a leak somewhere, but it could have been condensation (?).

Anyway, back in the car after 20 minutes and the aircon kicked into life straightaway and has been working since.

I'm tempted to take the car to my dealer for a look but I'm guessing that if I can't replicate the problem it could be a waste of time. (Car has done about 16000 km's and was delivered 31/3)

Having just read Bullfrog's post re his 2005 Megane a/c, I know there is some real knowledge out there.....

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards to all,

Advertisement

pj

suddenly stopped blowing air.
    So the fan stopped working ? Ie no air from any vents and blower motor not running.

I'd guess it's an electrical or fan motor issue rather than an aircon issue. I'd be looking at fuses, fuse contacts, connectors and wiring for signs of heating, which indicate a high resistance connection in the fan motor circuit.

I'm no expert on the Megane, but I know earlier model Renaults and Peugeots suffer fan speed control failure an high resistance connections around the ignition switch area. The symptoms fit a speed module problem.

It seems that switching, having a cuppa etc cures a lot of modern Renault problems by giving the electronics a chance to reset themselves.

Just make sure you remove the key for a full shut-down.

How easy is that!!

John
    Last edited by JohnMasefield; 17th December 2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: extra thought

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    I think it is possible that the evaporator in the air duct froze up and blocked the air flow. So when you stopped it melted and all was well. Nothing electronic at all Has happened to me in European cars sometimes.

My suggestion to carry on is to just turn the aircon off for 10 minutes and then back on. It is possible the drain tube is blocked.
    Jaahn
    Kim Luck and Sunroof like this.

Thanks for the input everyone.

The fan was definitely working (loudly) but wasn't blowing any air, and I think that points to Jaahn's theory being the likely cause. I think I hope that's the case. Interesting that it should happen on a fairly benign day (about 28 deg) when the unit wouldn't have been working particularly hard, but hey... I'm no expert in these matters. I will mention this to the dealer at the next service unless it happens again beforehand, in which case I will take the car in for them to check out.

Thanks again,

pj

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    The problem is to do with the humidity really. If very humid the moisture is condensing out on the evaporator in a big volume(relatively) and may not drain off fast enough before it freezes.
    jaahn
    addo and Sunroof like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi,
    The problem is to do with the humidity really. If very humid the moisture is condensing out on the evaporator in a big volume(relatively) and may not drain off fast enough before it freezes.
    jaahn
    The TX valve should prevent this situation.

Should, but I have also had a new TX allow freezing. Wonder if the system is slightly overcharged?

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Should, but I have also had a new TX allow freezing. Wonder if the system is slightly overcharged?
    I'd suggest either the superheat was wrongly set or the sensing bulb was/is not optimally placed.

Sometimes systems designed for R134A with so called LPG based " drop in replacement" refrigerants exhibit a tendency to freeze up, especially at lower fan speeds.

I put this down to the different temperature pressure "glide" of the two refrigerants.
    Last edited by robmac; 18th December 2015 at 09:28 AM.

1000+ Posts

Perhaps this might help you? Your AC expert recharger could have done the touch test to confirm or eliminate this szenario? The first picture shows normal operation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Megane  A/C hiccup-img_0756.jpg   2015 Megane  A/C hiccup-img_0757.jpg   2015 Megane  A/C hiccup-img_0758.jpg  
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

A fault like that doesn't normally restore to normal operation immediately after.

A freeze up, as mentioned by Jaahn , is a possible cause. But often would give a blast of frost through the vents on thawing.

1000+ Posts

Only meant to confirm or eliminate condenser malfunction or overcharge
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

or TX valve malfunction.

Even tried to a evaporator "touch test" on an assembled vehicle aircon system. ?

With a receiver dryer it's seriously difficult to overcharge.

Thread Information