tips for R19
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: tips for R19

Default tips for R19

I am new to this forum and Renault. From what I have gathered the Renault 19 was not a big seller in Australia. can any one tell me things I should look out for or do? The car is coming up on 130 000km's. Any tips or information would be great. Thankyou

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Automatic or manual?
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

It's an automatic unfortunately JoBo. I must say the gearbox works well at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE51 View Post
    It's an automatic unfortunately JoBo. I must say the gearbox works well at the moment.
    Be gentle with it if it is auto. Personally, I'd seek advice about fluid changes and cambelt and do the preventative stuff ASAP. I've sent a PM to you and the guy I suggested would be a good source of advice.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Automatics are fine if you make sure that the fluid and filter is changed; the cooling system is kept in pristine condition because the passages in the water to oil transmission fluid cooler are very fine. If in doubt fit an air to oil cooler.
    On the upside, the tranny is easy to fix and spares aren't unreasonably priced. They are mainly VW/AUDI.
    The Valeo alternator is pretty crap, if it breaks fit a Bosch which is cheaper and better.
    Rear brake adjusters are not the best system i've come across.
    When you change the cam belt make sure you change the tensioner bearing as well. Forget if there is an idler, if there is i'd change it as well (don't ask me how i know )
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

Hi Shane
    Had a 19 which I gave my daughter, for quite a few years. Good straight foward car. Got parts from David if needed or from locally if listed, which they usually are.

Listen to JoBo he had a few and fixed a few. Do all the fluid changes and put quality stuff in there. Do the auto fluid with Penrite FS, and it should keep going for quite a while. Sorry about the crap job on the brakes but there should be some parts around. They were a standard type for their day.
    Jaahn

I didn't think there were ANY auto R19s around any more...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Thanks Jaahn, I really like the car. I am finding European engineering a little different to most cars. Thanks for the tip about the Penrite oil. To date I haven't been able to spot where you fill up the auto transmission or even where to check the level. The guy I bought it off was not of any help. I think he knew how to put the key in the ignition and that's about it, lol. Any good place to get a maintenance manual from? Yours Sincerely Shane

G'day 68 404, I was told by a wrecking place here in Perth that they believe it is the only one registered in West Australia. Like anything, that is good and bad, lol. As soon as I can fix this brake problem I will enjoy driving it again, despite it being an auto, lol. Yous Sincerely Shane

1000+ Posts

You might be in luck, Shane?
    My children nagged me long enough for me to get rid of the 19 and get a newer car for Mum . Wast of money really because the 19 was perfectly ok.
    However, i forgot to ditch a few things and some of them are rear brake parts. You can have them if you wish. Also have copies of how to use the XR25 diagnostic tool. It has some drawings of the transmission in it that would show you a few things. Also have a repair manual for an OM1 VW transmission. This transmission is very similar to the AD4.
    Finally, i enclose some pictures of the transmission cooler and radiator to show you how important it is to keep the tranny alive; in case the previous owner(s) haven't used the recommended coolant and changed it at the recommended times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tips for R19-img_0751.jpg   tips for R19-img_0752.jpg   tips for R19-img_0753.jpg   tips for R19-img_0754.jpg   tips for R19-img_0755.jpg   tips for R19-p1000532.jpg  

tips for R19-p1000533.jpg   tips for R19-p1000535.jpg   tips for R19-p1000538.jpg  
    Stephen Hawking

G'day Ray (JoBo), I will gladly take those parts Ray.That is exactly what I am looking for. I need to give you something for them plus delivery. you have made me a very Renault owner again. Please contact me again and we can arrange something. Yours Sincerely Shane. PS I have somehow lost your message with your phone number. mine is 9765 2721 Once again thankyou so much

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE51 View Post
    G'day Ray (JoBo), I will gladly take those parts Ray.That is exactly what I am looking for. I need to give you something for them plus delivery. you have made me a very Renault owner again. Please contact me again and we can arrange something. Yours Sincerely Shane. PS I have somehow lost your message with your phone number. mine is 9765 2721 Once again thankyou so much
    You can't help good luck, can you! That's a great Aussiefrogs outcome. Good luck with the brake rebuild.

Interesting to see the transmission cooler sectioned like that - it's quite a warning about coolant changes, as usual.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi Shane,
    Those brake parts are very much what you need. So you should be able to put the lot back together. Just remember good brake pipes and maybe flexible hose should be replaced with age of car.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Thread Information