Second Gauge Problem. Tacho on R17
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Second Gauge Problem. Tacho on R17

Second Gauge Problem. Tacho on R17 is stuck at 3000 and does not work. I really not sue what to look for when it comes to the wiring. Faulty, fuse? Or the gauge needs repair?

Advertisement

And on the gauges, could I upgrade to brighter instrument lights. These are terrible! Or it is my eyesight
    In the day time I cannot see the indicator light at all.
    John

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    Second Gauge Problem. Tacho on R17 is stuck at 3000 and does not work. I really not sue what to look for when it comes to the wiring. Faulty, fuse? Or the gauge needs repair?

And on the gauges, could I upgrade to brighter instrument lights. These are terrible! Or it is my eyesight
    In the day time I cannot see the indicator light at all.
    John
    Sounds like the needle is jammed, again dismantle and see if you can see an obvious problem, most likely mechanical not electrical.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I feel I have a complete R15/17 dash binnacle with all gauges in place at Mums. No idea of the condition, other than I would have been unlikely to keep it if it was not working. Saying this, I did store it away about 15 years ago, and condition may have dropped away. I will have a look at it and pick it up when I get the flywheel.

For the lighting, LED bulbs are now available for your fitment, and will be much brighter and use a lot less power, although that is normally not a worry. Available online from a variety of Chinese sources on Ebay at good prices. Unsure of the longevity.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Thanks Col. Again, I will now go looking into these problems with knowing more before I start, thanks to you guys.
    But I'm sure I will have more questions in the near future.

But here's a funny, I had work done today on the exhaust. The guy said all is good. Drove it away and found the seat vibrating my cheeks like crazy. Took it back and asked what the?
    He had bolted onto a seat bolt, one of the clamps for the exhaust. The original was broken off the gearbox mounting rail!
    Cheers.
    John

Hi Alan.
    I would gladly take the instrument panel off your hands if your willing to sell. I''m really enjoying fixing all these little bits n bobs. And there is a big list to tick one by one.
    Just let me know when you have news.
    Oh and thanks about the lights. I figured I should look online today and found a whole heap of bulb replacements. T2, T3, T4 etc.
    Thank you!!
    John
    Last edited by Shoji; 10th December 2015 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks to all. And to Alan and Col.

I have had the dash out today and have it sitting without the clips until all is sorted. The tacho must have had a short at some stage as when you turn the dial it is grinding at 3000~4000 rpm and sticks completely. So your right Col. Gauge is faulty mechanically. I have another on the way and hopefully I can swap it out with a good outcome.
    Cheers
    John

Hi guys,
    I'm interested in which ebay LED's to buy for the 17 dash? I too am struggling with dim dash lights. Can someone post a link to the right ones?

Thanks..>Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

1000+ Posts

Me too. They are hopeless. at night I use a GPS to keep an eye on the speed.

I just bought the standard T10 5Watt Wedge globes for my R17 at Supercheap. I assumed that the dim function may not work with LED.
    My houses living room dimmer switch does not work with LED globe upgrades.
    There's heaps of LED's T10 wedge globes on Ebay. Let me know how they go G4ME
    Last edited by Shoji; 14th December 2015 at 11:57 PM.

COL

I have just order T5 LED replacements off Ebay for my R12 with a Virage Dashboard.

Will let you know how they perform when they arrive.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Thanks team.

I've just ordered a 10 pack for less than $6. Nothing but the best for my car :-)
    I'll let you know if they fit and work

Cheers...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

I just bought the standard T10 5Watt Wedge globes for my R17 at Supercheap. I assumed that the dim function may not work with LED.
    My houses living room dimmer switch does not work with LED globe upgrades.
    There's heaps of LED's T10 wedge globes on Ebay. Let me know how they go G4ME
    The LED globes in homes are different. They run on mains voltages and probably have an inbuilt transformer and rectifier.
    The automotive LED's usually have just a dropping resistor so will work with the dashlight dimmer which is just a variable resistor.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Ok! Great. I would like them to a bit brighter than the new ones I've just installed. Will try some later.
    Cheers Ren.
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    The LED globes in homes are different. They run on mains voltages and probably have an inbuilt transformer and rectifier.
    The automotive LED's usually have just a dropping resistor so will work with the dashlight dimmer which is just a variable resistor.

Cheers
    Ren

COL

My LED's arrived today and I have only managed to put one LED in and that is the one above the petrol gauge.

The Virage dash that my R12 has in it has three lights at the top of the instrument cluster and the shine down on the gauges. The light from the LED is definitely brighter that incandescent bulbs.

The other two will need to be done with the dash out, I can get my hand up in where the lamps are but then cannot twist the lamp holders with my fingers, there just is not enough room.

I hope the R17 instrument cluster is a little easier to work on.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Hi Col
    The R17 cluster took me two hours to remove. Partly because of being unsure of what I might break, what kind of clips & bolts they are and yes, because there is not not much room for hands. But I have left my cluster loose with the only the wiring and the speedo cable attached. Actually, doesn't even rattle and sits quite well. For now!
    Did your R12 dash use T10 bulbs too? And do you have extra holes for more back light if wanted? Mine has as standard 12 bulbs in use for back light and instruments. But I might play with more of those spare bays for bulbs to see if it looks good. I just need my spare cluster which is coming from Alan in QLD. I'll have spare bulb holders to play with.
    John
    Last edited by Shoji; 23rd December 2015 at 11:42 AM.

For anyone who has not removed a cluster from an R17:

• Disconnect battery
    • Remove front driver seat if so desire for more room
    • Remove speaker, fuse panel and the under steering panel
    • Easy so far, best bit to come…
    • Fondle behind the dash to find the 8mm bolts with swing clips on either top and bottom end of the dash
    • Try to turn the bolts with fingers or socket to loosen and eventually swing away the 4 clips from the main dash
    • Be careful from here as you may damage the wiring plugs, etc. I broke one of mine but repaired
    • Pull away at the top of the cluster to free the top clips
    • This bit is hard as the clips are jammed under the edge of the main dash
    • Downward pressure will help
    • Now just pull up to free the bottom clip
    • Remove cables and the speedo cable
    • Bulbs. Be care to remove T10 Type
    • If I have left anything out please feel free to add

Second Gauge Problem. Tacho on R17-r17-instrument-cluster-clips.jpg
    Last edited by Shoji; 23rd December 2015 at 11:36 AM.

Col. Do the new LED bulbs have a screw-in arrangement already to go?

COL

Hi Col
    The R17 cluster took me two hours to remove. Partly because of being unsure of what I might break, what kind of clips & bolts they are and yes, because there is not not much room for hands. But I have left my cluster loose with the only the wiring and the speedo cable attached. Actually, doesn't even rattle and sits quite well. For now!
    Did your R12 dash use T10 bulbs too? And do you have extra holes for more back light if wanted? Mine has as standard 12 bulbs in use for back light and instruments. But I might play with more of those spare bays for bulbs to see if it looks good. I just need my spare cluster which is coming from Alan in QLD. I'll have spare bulb holders to play with.
    John
    The Virage dash is quite different from the R17. It has two wire clips , one at each end that hold the instrument cluster to the dash and also two screws at the bottom behind the steering column surround. The cluster also is fitted from the rear and does not come out from the front.

The globes that the Virage dash take are T5. There are only 3 globes that shine down on the gauges similar to down lights. The dash lighting is from the front not like other dashes were the light comes from the back.

There are extra holes in the circuit film that just clips to the rear of the cluster (must be for different versions) but no extra hole for lighting the dash.

I also found that when I pushed the LED globes into the holder that there was no guaranty that LED made contact with the holder, I found that I had to adjust the leads on the LED globes so contact was made. So I would suggest that you check that the LED globe is working before installing. Also the LED's are polarised so if they do not work in the dash you will need to remove the lamp holder and turn the lamp holder 180 deg and then refit.
    Last edited by COL; 23rd December 2015 at 09:21 PM.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

COL

Col. Do the new LED bulbs have a screw-in arrangement already to go?
    No they are just the bare like the incandescent globes and need to be pushed into the lamp holder.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

COL

Update on the LED's in the Virage dash. I have fitted the three LED's and they work a treat. I would say that there is twice as much light shining on the gauges now.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

good to know! Cheers Col.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Dash out on the R17 would be the premium option but even with my big fat hands I manage to replace the bulbs by shoving my hand up the back of the dash. Yes it requires lots of contortion of the hand and even a larger amount of swearing but it can be done without the dash out.
    Still waiting for my globes to arrive :-(
    Cheers....Paul

COL

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    Dash out on the R17 would be the premium option but even with my big fat hands I manage to replace the bulbs by shoving my hand up the back of the dash. Yes it requires lots of contortion of the hand and even a larger amount of swearing but it can be done without the dash out.
    Still waiting for my globes to arrive :-(
    Cheers....Paul
    I can reach all the globes in the Virage dash except for the 3 globes that illuminate the instruments. They are right up the top and are recessed in about 50mm. Was a fair bit of work for 3 globes.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

And Col, does the dimmer work?
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

COL

And Col, does the dimmer work?
    In a word NO

I think if you wanted the dimming function you would need to build a variable power supply.

I like to be able to see the gauges at night and I have always had the dimmer on full brightness.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information