R8 engine rubbing (metal on rubber) resolved...
  • Help

Default R8 engine rubbing (metal on rubber) resolved...

Hello All...
    Looks like my assumptions were correct. The crank seal on my R8 was causing the rubbing and hesitation. Something that could have been resolved before I placed the engine back in the car! Please see the photos... doesn't look like the seating was off by much? Cheers... Ben

R8 engine rubbing (metal on rubber) resolved...-img_20151206_150449.jpgR8 engine rubbing (metal on rubber) resolved...-img_20151206_152411.jpgR8 engine rubbing (metal on rubber) resolved...-img_20151206_152430.jpg

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by forzamacchi View Post
    Hello All... Looks like my assumptions were correct. The crank seal on my R8 was causing the rubbing and hesitation. Something that could have been resolved before I placed the engine back in the car! Please see the photos... doesn't look like the seating was off by much? Cheers... Ben
    Nice to have a resolution. To quote PP&M from a while back in "Lemon Tree", "a sadder man but wiser now....".

Probably 1 mm too far out!

I'm very impressed by the clean sump and the newly plated bolts. Good luck with the refit.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Sorry this is the wrong post, but for some reason I can't find the right one - at least it is the correct car rebuild!

I've had the R8 jacked up and tried to photograph those brake lines.

Here are four photos. The first two are views showing the brake pipes coming over the cross member from the front side, to link up with the flexible hoses. Note the rubber tubing on the copper lines.

Then underneath. That's harder.

The first shows the copper pipe coming out from the centre behind the stone guard together with the main electrical cable to the starter motor, held with that electrical cable a bit to the left of the centre line in one of those flimsy, bendable fasteners, and then in a rough arc to the three-way connector that is bolted on the leading edge of the cross member. The three way connector on my car replaces the pressure limiting valve, which I threw away years ago, as many people have. There are actually three different types of limiting valve, so I guess they improved the sophistication over the years. Mine was the earliest/crudest/simplest and definitely stopped rear wheel lockup - actually I think it nearly stopped rear wheel braking, judging by the miniscule pad wear - and ensured front wheel lockup instead!!

The last photo shows the main pipe from the front coming into the top of the three-way connector, and the two lines to the callipers running along the front of the cross member.

This is all bog standard, original brake pipes.

Hope that helps.

Regards

(Further thoughts:

1. Somewhere in there is a red-back spider, one of our poisonous ones, as you can see from the characteristic angular and chaotic web pattern on one photo!
    2. You can see she is a working girl. The cross member has never been out and repainted and there is a bit of surficial rust instead of nice paint. I need to replace the straps under the swing axles again, as they are beginning to pull out of their mountings.
    3. The third photo does show what you want but is difficult to see. The brake pipe runs almost horizontally, at the left immediately underneath the curve of the grey speedo cable housing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 engine rubbing (metal on rubber) resolved...-p3250012.jpg   R8 engine rubbing (metal on rubber) resolved...-p3250013.jpg   R8 engine rubbing (metal on rubber) resolved...-p3250014.jpg   R8 engine rubbing (metal on rubber) resolved...-p3250015.jpg  
    Last edited by JohnW; 25th March 2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Futher thoughts!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information