Renault 30 tx in Adelaide
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Renault 30 tx in Adelaide

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    321

    Default Renault 30 tx in Adelaide

    Good Evening Folks,

    Some of you may recall a bit of interest a little while back when an R30 appeared for sale.

    Well I am pleased to say it's no longer for sale as I've purchased said vehicle from the very erudite David.

    And yesterday I completed a very comfortable drive from Melbourne to Adelaide.

    I drove across on Friday afternoon/evening in a rental car (did you know that even when you buy the excess waiver insurance you're not covered if you hit an animal at night time?) with a swag of tools, various rubber hoses, some gaffer tape, fencing wire and four empty 2 litre containers.

    I didn't get past wolf cubs into scouts, but being prepared is something I've grown accustomed too with older cars. (I needn't have feared)

    I also took four brand new Bridgestone's on 14 inch R20 rims. According to David the metric sized Michelin's of indeterminate age were showing signs of perishing and at $491.00 quoted per tyre I wasn't rushing down that path in a hurry.

    Why didn't I simply have the car freighted?

    The car came with a range of spares and there is always a premium to pay if you want anything transported within a vehicle. And as a car enthusiast, the prospect of a road trip should be some enticement.

    Of course, there is some trepidation in driving an old car 750 kilometres, and the more stuff I carried to cover any roadside misadventure, the less likely I was to need it.

    As it turned out, I did use a couple of tools at the weekend, but that was helping my sister-in-law assemble a set of bunks.

    A change od circumstances had forced David to reluctantly sell the car and I am the fortunate recipient.

    The car was originally imported from the UK in 2010 into Queensland but according to correspondence from the importer, it was never driven until David took possession in Melbourne.

    Advertisement


    David has had to sink some considerable money into the car to see it recommissioned and hence it was capable of the journey.

    Who knows, given that it originated from the UK, Sunday's 750 Kms may have been it's longest single trip?

    Next step is off to Regency Park to organise registration.

    Again my thanks to David for providing such a unique but well cared for car.

    Pictures taken in Kaniva, Bordertown and home.

    Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 30 tx in Adelaide-kaniva.jpg   Renault 30 tx in Adelaide-bordertown.jpg   Renault 30 tx in Adelaide-home.jpg  
    addo, JohnW, alpinesau and 8 others like this.

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    2,639

    Default

    All the best for you and the car. I was also interested and would have had to drive it back to Qld. Unfortunately for me my missus wasn't convinced that it was a good idea. Oh well I missed out on a model Renault that I really liked. I once did 3000 k's in an R30 in France and was impressed with them then. I also had an R20 and it clocked up 600,000 almost trouble free kilometres. I am pleased it has found a good home and will look forward to hearing of your future adventures it her.

  3. #3
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,310

    Default

    Well done!!! That will be a lovely car. Now you've tested it on a short run, please bring it to next year's French Car Day in Perth.

    Renault close to its peak in design post R16 I reckon.

    Bad luck Sunroof. I understand completely....

    Cheers
    Last edited by JohnW; 1st December 2015 at 09:04 AM.
    J-man likes this.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,653

    Default

    Does it get any better than buying an old Renault from interstate and driving it back, not knowing if it will make it?

    Congratulations on your purchase and your very cool road trip!
    cheers,

    John

  5. #5
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Does it get any better than buying an old Renault from interstate and driving it back, not knowing if it will make it?

    Congratulations on your purchase and your very cool road trip!
    Yes, great effort. I know a bloke who drove a Bugatti he'd purchased back from Melbourne years ago and was puzzled by the angle of one front wheel at the Adelaide end of the drive - turned out to have a broken king pin that hadn't quite fallen out. Very scarey.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  6. #6
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    Will it need much welding for the MOT?
    STALLED likes this.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wagga Wagga
    Posts
    362

    Default

    So good to read about a new/renewed appreciation for a French classic.

  8. #8
    Sans Pond. STALLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Will it need much welding for the MOT?
    SA - you can register anything, as long as it vaguely resembles a car...
    68 404 likes this.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

    2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

    1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

    2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts cav91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Romsey, VIC
    Posts
    2,350

    Default

    Well I'll have to apologise for making you pay alot more for it than it was (still a good buy though). I too was bidding on this car. It really seems a beautiful car. My main reason for bidding is I didn't want it to be bought buy someone restoring a Delorean or lotus esprit to pull the gearbox out. Very happy it stayed in the renault community and not become parts!

    Congratulations on a wonderful car
    JohnW, cam740 and DrRenaultsport like this.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Clarendon, South Australia
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Good to see the R30 coming to Adelaide. I saw the car a couple of years ago when I took my R20 to Melbourne for the RCCV Renault Roundup. Now there will be at least two Renaults of that shape in Adelaide.

    I am sure you will get a lot of joy driving the R30.

    Cheers

    John

  11. #11
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,904

    Default

    My fear was that it was going to get snaped up by someone wanting cheap transport and just used and abused for a few years and junked. So glad an enthusiast got it even if it is in another state.
    JohnW and cam740 like this.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    frenchconnect@bigpond.com

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  12. #12
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,310

    Default

    Fine sentiments all around I'd say. Are there any others ones in the country in good, going order? It looks just lovely.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    321

    Default

    " Unfortunately for me my missus wasn't convinced that it was a good idea." I think I've worn down the resistance of my better half over the years

    "Now you've tested it on a short run, please bring it to next year's French Car Day in Perth." Certainly something to contemplate.

    "Will it need much welding for the MOT?" I'll give you a call if it does

    "Does it get any better than buying an old Renault from interstate and driving it back, not knowing if it will make it?" Probably not.

    "Well I'll have to apologise for making you pay a lot more for it than it was " I'm posting you an invoice for the difference tonight.

    "Good to see the R30 coming to Adelaide. I saw the car a couple of years ago when I took my R20 to Melbourne for the RCCV Renault Roundup. Now there will be at least two Renaults of that shape in Adelaide." Hi John, I recall seeing yours (Blue in colour?) turn into your property a while back and posted it on "I Spy SA" . And I know of a third, from where I purchased the R20 wheels.

    Cheers Folks.

    Hopefully registered later in the week and out for a spin on the weekend.
    addo and JohnW like this.

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! Ceenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Devonport, Holiday Coast
    Posts
    511

    Default

    There is another R30 owned by the Nicholls (chicken producer) family near Moriarty just out of Devonport. They brought the car out from the UK with a few other interesting vehicles when they established their business here about 15 or so years ago. It is a well worn vehicle.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    321

    Default

    A year later the thread continues ...........

    Well I took it down to Regency for an inspection, but there was no compliance plate and a full roadworthy and engineering report was required to ensure that the car met the relevant ADR's.

    So before I could attend for the roadworthy I needed an engineer's report to reveal that the side intrusion bars as fitted to the Renault were up to standard. Of course they were, and in fact considerably stronger than that required at the time. Did you know such reports don't come cheaply!!

    I also had to fit child restraint anchor points as these hadn't been fitted to UK cars at the time. These are situated in the roof, adjacent to where the hatch hinges. I was able to take photo's of the ones fitted to 'Gats' blue R20 as sufficient evidence that my similarly (self) fitted anchor points were compliant.

    Given the cost of the engineer's report for the intrusion bars I hate to think what 'testing' might have cost to set up child restraint anchor points if I hadn't had a 'Gats' car to refer too.

    Anyway, off to the roadworthy. Fail?? Of course it did.

    Main problem was rust in the sills. grubby underside to the engine and the worn and faded seat belts. The inspector seemed to delight in poking holes into all the rusty bit he could find.

    A couple of side lights not working and a torn driveshaft boot.

    With Christmas/New Year, the pending birth of my first grandchild, my daughter and her partner moving back to Adelaide and finding them a place to live; I wasn't thinking much about the car until about Easter.

    Trying to find someone willing to look at repairs on an odd-ball, relatively low value car was a challenge in itself. I eventually took it to a guy and after explaining to me how the complete inner/outer sills would need to be replaced and the complexities of having sheet metal bent to the proper shape would need to be done, etc, etc .................. he quoted me $7,000.00.

    Yes that's the correct number of nought's.

    Feeling a little despondent I drove home, didn't cry but wondered how I was going to explain how I now intended to scrap the car to my dear wife.

    Looked on the internet to see if any local Delorean or Lotus owners wanted a PRV motor. Contemplated buying the ratty looking R20 I had seen previously and putting the motor in there.

    Anyway I left it under the carport as winter arrived and didn't think about it for a while (too depressing).

    Mid-winter I grabbed the angle grinder and attacked the thick black painty stuff on the sills to see the extent of the rust.

    I was disappointed to see how someone had used so much bog at the end of the sills, but heartened that this is where it seemed confined.

    Anyway, manged to find a couple of more guys, who were able to see the full extent of the problem without having to try and guess what was (or wasn't) under the paint.

    Eventually got the repairs done at a tenth of the of the original quote. Got the boot replaced and bought and fitted some seat belts.

    Took it out to the friendly Mark Holland (no relation) for a service and minor tune and tidied up a couple of other things.

    Next was to organise some courage, and a time to take it back to the inspectors at Regency.

    While I was reasonably confident, there were a couple of minor oil weeps that might have not passed muster.

    Anyway, my fears were unfounded and I got my plates.

    Given the work care for most duties and a couple of other cars in the driveway, the Renault will only be used for enjoyment and hopefully a fairly pampered life over the next few years.

    Give me a wave if you see me out on the road.

  16. #16
    COL
    COL is online now
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    4,346

    Default

    Hi Phillip

    Thats a great story with a great out come, time now to enjoy the car.
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! iLaguna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Adelaide, SA, Australia
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philipjh View Post
    A year later the thread continues ...........

    Well I took it down to Regency for an inspection, but there was no compliance plate and a full roadworthy and engineering report was required to ensure that the car met the relevant ADR's.

    So before I could attend for the roadworthy I needed an engineer's report to reveal that the side intrusion bars as fitted to the Renault were up to standard. Of course they were, and in fact considerably stronger than that required at the time. Did you know such reports don't come cheaply!!

    I also had to fit child restraint anchor points as these hadn't been fitted to UK cars at the time. These are situated in the roof, adjacent to where the hatch hinges. I was able to take photo's of the ones fitted to 'Gats' blue R20 as sufficient evidence that my similarly (self) fitted anchor points were compliant.

    Given the cost of the engineer's report for the intrusion bars I hate to think what 'testing' might have cost to set up child restraint anchor points if I hadn't had a 'Gats' car to refer too.

    Anyway, off to the roadworthy. Fail?? Of course it did.

    Main problem was rust in the sills. grubby underside to the engine and the worn and faded seat belts. The inspector seemed to delight in poking holes into all the rusty bit he could find.

    A couple of side lights not working and a torn driveshaft boot.

    With Christmas/New Year, the pending birth of my first grandchild, my daughter and her partner moving back to Adelaide and finding them a place to live; I wasn't thinking much about the car until about Easter.

    Trying to find someone willing to look at repairs on an odd-ball, relatively low value car was a challenge in itself. I eventually took it to a guy and after explaining to me how the complete inner/outer sills would need to be replaced and the complexities of having sheet metal bent to the proper shape would need to be done, etc, etc .................. he quoted me $7,000.00.

    Yes that's the correct number of nought's.

    Feeling a little despondent I drove home, didn't cry but wondered how I was going to explain how I now intended to scrap the car to my dear wife.

    Looked on the internet to see if any local Delorean or Lotus owners wanted a PRV motor. Contemplated buying the ratty looking R20 I had seen previously and putting the motor in there.

    Anyway I left it under the carport as winter arrived and didn't think about it for a while (too depressing).

    Mid-winter I grabbed the angle grinder and attacked the thick black painty stuff on the sills to see the extent of the rust.

    I was disappointed to see how someone had used so much bog at the end of the sills, but heartened that this is where it seemed confined.

    Anyway, manged to find a couple of more guys, who were able to see the full extent of the problem without having to try and guess what was (or wasn't) under the paint.

    Eventually got the repairs done at a tenth of the of the original quote. Got the boot replaced and bought and fitted some seat belts.

    Took it out to the friendly Mark Holland (no relation) for a service and minor tune and tidied up a couple of other things.

    Next was to organise some courage, and a time to take it back to the inspectors at Regency.

    While I was reasonably confident, there were a couple of minor oil weeps that might have not passed muster.

    Anyway, my fears were unfounded and I got my plates.

    Given the work care for most duties and a couple of other cars in the driveway, the Renault will only be used for enjoyment and hopefully a fairly pampered life over the next few years.

    Give me a wave if you see me out on the road.
    What a great story Phillip! Will let you know when the French Car Show is on next in Adelaide. It was only on last month, so you've got at least 11months to get ready for the next one!
    2016 Holden Astra RS-V 1.6L Turbo Manual Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive

    2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Past Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

    2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    1995 Renault 19 Alize 1.8L Manual Sedan - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive


  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Clarendon, South Australia
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Hi Phillip

    It is great to have another R20/30 on the road again as there are not many left.

    John

  19. #19
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Sounds like quite a trip, and another reason why I'm wary of cars without a compliance plate, whether ADR or personal import :-)

    If not already done, I'd be dipping the car in Tectyl, fishoil, or your fave rust preventative given the 20/30 has been known to rust in the oddest of places. Time to enjoy the car after all that effort!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 30 tx in Adelaide-dsc08609.jpg   Renault 30 tx in Adelaide-dsc08608.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  20. #20
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,310

    Default

    Yes, drench it in Fishoil. Drench..... doors off, eggcup full of Fishoilene and rotate progressively until it runs out of every joint/corner, pinhole etc. Same for the rest. The local cats will think it is Christmas but will leave puzzled.

    Nice outcome and lots of us are very pleased it wasn't scrapped after all those good intentions.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lavers Hill
    Posts
    321

    Default

    What a gorgeous car! Congratulations.

    I have owned lots and lots of cars over the years.

    the only ones I really miss are the R20, the GS and the P76.

    The 20 fitted me like a glove. It was a delightful car. Retired due to rust after 485000+km. Engine, clutch and gearbox never touched. Still immensely comfortable. Beautiful, simply sculptured styling.
    Sunroof and JohnW like this.

  22. #22
    1000+ Posts schlitzaugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    loneliness capital of the world
    Posts
    9,338

    Default

    I have only ever driven a R20 for a couple of k's on a test drive, and even though the car was no longer in its prime, I remember how absolutely effortlessly it pulled in every gear with just a touch of the throttle. Not sure why, I suppose very torquey engine, and perhaps low gears or both? but I imagine a V6 would make this car a very relaxed and relaxing cruiser.

    The car also felt supremely comfortable, with the large armchair style seats with firm support and a comfortable position. On this point, I think it would be better for ageing have beens like us than modern machinnery. I found all of them (Camry, Commodores, Magnas, Falcons) have the seats too low for long distance travel. For my back, anyway. My BMW 2000 (1967) or the R12 were better with their tall seats. Maybe it's a modern design thing.

    With so much room in the back and considerable width, relaxed low rev torque, I would hazard a guess it won't break a sweat even fully loaded on a long trip.

    Not to mention the huge potential I see functionality-wise for two person camping trips.
    Sunroof and JohnW like this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

    Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,705

    Default

    Back in the good old, bad old days of the Renault/Volvo tie up the Volvo dealer I worked for was given a new Renault V6 Baccarat ? to sort out. Injection, electrics I've forgotten which. The Renault dealer who was trying to sell the car felt that the new Renault / Volvo dealer should be now taking care of any warranty. Any attempts to sort it out was usually accompanied by the directive. "Don't spend too much time on it". The poor old/new Renault became almost a permanent fixture in the shop.
    What I do recall vividly is going to the shop car park to fetch the car inside. It had been raining steadily and when I opened the door I saw water running in through the windscreen seal above the mirror!! Close inspection found damp under the carpets, possibly from when the car was new. It was taken away to be fixed.
    The ongoing history had the Renault punted from pillar to post in local sales outlets for a long time.

  24. #24
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Tamworth NSW
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Very envious indeed!
    Prior to the closure of the Renault factory at Heidelberg, Victoria, I drove a company R30 TX from Melbourne to Syd Singleton Motors at Euroa. Syd had purchased the car for his personal use. It was a manual version, whereas another R30 on the company car fleet was an automatic.
    In later years, another R30 owned locally near Tamworth required some attention to the carburettor, which I was able to correct, following a strip down and the fitment of new gaskets, seals etc.

    In each case, the driving experience of these R30's remains firmly embedded in my mind. Comfortable, effortless cruisers with performance to match, if required.

    Cheers,
    K

  25. #25
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB View Post
    Very envious indeed!
    Prior to the closure of the Renault factory at Heidelberg, Victoria, I drove a company R30 TX from Melbourne to Syd Singleton Motors at Euroa. Syd had purchased the car for his personal use. It was a manual version, whereas another R30 on the company car fleet was an automatic.
    In later years, another R30 owned locally near Tamworth required some attention to the carburettor, which I was able to correct, following a strip down and the fitment of new gaskets, seals etc.

    In each case, the driving experience of these R30's remains firmly embedded in my mind. Comfortable, effortless cruisers with performance to match, if required.

    Cheers,
    K
    It makes one wonder what has happened to those six Renault 30TS that Renault Australia imported for evaluation purposes.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •