Removing distributor when running wasted spark ignition on Cleon engine.
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Removing distributor when running wasted spark ignition on Cleon engine.

Default Removing distributor when running wasted spark ignition on Cleon engine.

Im about to start building a hot Engine(Volvo B14 engine Block and R5 Alpine head) for my -64 R8. I plan to ditch both the carburettor and the distributor and use throttle bodies and pencil coils from a 2001 GSXR 600. The engine management will be left to an OMEX 600 ECU.

Advertisement

Can the distribututor just be removed and the hole covered or do I need some sort of distributor dummy for the oil pump drive to stay in Place?

Fellow Frogger!

The distributor may be holding down the drive gear that is also running the oil pump. You may need to fabricate a part to replace the distributor with a bearing that holds the drive gear in place.

Are you ditching the carb to go to injection, if you do you'll need a cam position sensor.

You can always butcher a distributor to get the cam position.

Likewise,
    When the distributor is removed, the oil pump drive can be removed fairly easily by hand, so I would be worried about it popping out of it's position and resultant oil pressure loss. I'd be interested to see what others like Frans etc have to say, and also what way around this people have come up with.
    KB

Default dizzy mods.

hi , the oil pump drive has to be held in place as per the distributor!!!!!!

this is my solution running a megajolt and mondeo coilpack.

i gutted a bosch R12 distributor which has a bigger diameter top section than a ducellier or sev unit.everything gone inside the dizzy with only the weight plate left. (handy for using a screwdriver to turn the shaft when inserting into the block)

i then cut and filed a slot in the dizzy body to neatly cradle the coilpack.it is held in place by by the aluminium plate which has a large hole in the center and slides up from the bottom.

it serves 2 roles: holds the oil pump drive in place and puts the plugs wires back to where they were before and sorts of looks like a dizzy

Frans has made a plug using a distributor.im sure he will post a pic

cheers brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing distributor when running wasted spark ignition on Cleon engine.-20151128_163851.jpg   Removing distributor when running wasted spark ignition on Cleon engine.-20151128_163655.jpg  
    Last edited by potentz; 30th November 2015 at 07:25 PM.

Nice.
    What's the casting say on the inlet manifold.
    Didn't you end up using an A14GX (Datsun) unit?
    KB

Hi All,

You have to leave a dummy drive in. I cut mine just above the flange so that a standard clamp can keep it in place. Then I cut the shaft about 7mm shorter again and I made an aluminium plug the diameter of the ID of the distributor and about 6mm thick. That I pressed in with Loctite for a proper seal against the oil.

Regards,
    Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Nice.
    What's the casting say on the inlet manifold.
    Didn't you end up using an A14GX (Datsun) unit?

redline datsun 1200 sss. not sure if it works with a r8 r10 r12 head as i have a r9 r11 head which has the inlet ports spaced further apart.

Hi,

I couldn't find pictures (knew I had some) until I searched the archives. This will explain.

Frans.

Nice Frans, although I like potenz idea of having the leads in a similar spot. Where did you mount your coil pack?
    KB

Mine is on the race car and I didn't need it to be need and tidy. So it went onto the firewall.

Frans

Default more on the megajolt

and the crank angle sensor goes there and the EDIS up there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing distributor when running wasted spark ignition on Cleon engine.-20151128_165726.jpg   Removing distributor when running wasted spark ignition on Cleon engine.-20151128_163239.jpg  

Thanks guys! I thought the distributor were needed for other purposes but its been three years since I last took apart one of theese engines. I like Frans´s solution but Im not so keen on butchering a R5 Alpine distributor. The shaft is longer as it goes trough the head. I´m hoping its possible to modify a more common distributor by moving the shaft further down.

When it comes to trigger wheel I think I have come up with a neat solution. First I was looking for one for the R5 gt turbo but I didnt like what I found. Then I saw Steeve Swan mention he and Salv Sacco were using a smaller bottom pulley for Ford X-flow to bring down the speed of the waterpump. That made me think and there it was. The same type of pulley were avaliable with trigger wheel. It only took some opening of the keyway to make it fit. The GSXR coils are a near perfect fit and they are actual meant to be used for wasted spark and to be coupled in pairs. I ran across a picture in a R5 turbo 2 sales ad where the same type of coils and similar bodies seem to be trial fitted.

Removing distributor when running wasted spark ignition on Cleon engine.-crank-pulley-36-teeth.jpgRemoving distributor when running wasted spark ignition on Cleon engine.-img_7062.jpg
    Last edited by Reidar; 1st December 2015 at 08:22 AM.

Thread Information