What to buy? Looking at a later model Renault
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: What to buy? Looking at a later model Renault

Default What to buy? Looking at a later model Renault

Hello all. It's rare to find me here as I am typically on OzRS. I've been in a 172 for about 7 years now. Prior to that I've owned a 1.4 clio, Laguna II, Fuego 2ltr turbo (after market) and a 16TS for many years.

Here's the situation. My partner wants to move on from her 2002 Camry. I'm a die hard Renault driver. She likes the Koleos based on the SUV appeal so many ladies get hooked into these days.

I've recently driven in the quest a Fluence Privilege which was nice and well spec'd and cheap. Also today a Koleos 2012 in pearl white which was also nice.

She is an 'auto only' type driver. I would have her in an RS in a heart beat but can't see that happening too soon ..

I will seek to drive a Lattitude luxe Dci shortly as well. I'm starting to like that idea as a second plusher style car in the garage.

Open to suggestions and experience with Koleos, Fluence, Lattitude, Laguna III dci, Clio IV, Captur .. I know a long list.

More interested in issues experience that would scare a woman I'm reading very little re bad experiences in the list above which is positive.

I know my RS172 inside and out and am very very comfortable with it. Great car indeed.

Thanks all for your input in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Maybe a bit long in the tooth, but maybe not. Consider having a look for a good low mileage Series II Scenic and see how you get on with it(sorry, how she gets on with it). My wife is deeply in love with hers now, and it is a seriously clever design. Perhaps the last of the proper French-inspired ones at that. It's no 16TS, but it is charming and soooo practicable. I'd rate it well above a quasi-SUV designed for the appearance.
    Mase likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Maybe a bit long in the tooth, but maybe not. Consider having a look for a good low mileage Series II Scenic and see how you get on with it(sorry, how she gets on with it). My wife is deeply in love with hers now, and it is a seriously clever design. Perhaps the last of the proper French-inspired ones at that. It's no 16TS, but it is charming and soooo practicable. I'd rate it well above a quasi-SUV designed for the appearance.
    There is a nice one local to us for silly cheap money too. I think I would be recalcitrant to not have a look at the least. She is focused on 'modern' tho in the sense of probably tops 3-4 years old. Looking towards a balance of warranty type scenario. The Scenic would suit her 17 yr old son tho as a first car

Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    There is a nice one local to us for silly cheap money too. I think I would be recalcitrant to not have a look at the least. She is focused on 'modern' tho in the sense of probably tops 3-4 years old. Looking towards a balance of warranty type scenario. The Scenic would suit her 17 yr old son tho as a first car Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We got a near-immaculate one with a good warranty a year ago for $10,000 from Rod Slater here in Perth. I can't recall exactly, but I have a feeling they didn't go beyond about 2006 or so, so getting on a bit if she's after "near brand new". Mine you, apart from a wee bit of poor treatment here and there, ours is like new and drives that way. I reckon it is a great vehicle. Far better than a Koleos or the latest Natcho or whatever it is called, at least in design, for sure.

I'd be super-careful with a cheapie, especially if automatic.

Good luck with the hunt. Personally, I still want a new 16TS with AC and power steering. No more...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

What about the newer Clio sports? They're basically an auto aren't they.
    cam740 likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    What about the newer Clio sports? They're basically an auto aren't they.
    Yes there is that option least in mind. You know how these things go .. See one on the street .. "Hey what about that car?" But I got. "Don't like they way it looks, do you like the way it looks?" Ha ha.

They are probably just a little out of the price range right now tho but I will try to get her behind the wheel as that would be a zero word convincing argument.

This is the way she thinks. Quite typical. Will it start every time? Will it break down at all ever? Will it give me girly street cred? Is it good looking? Will I be trending? That sort of thing. Least that's how I reading things. Poor me

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

She must want a Megane Sport then.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

An early 250 might be okay if it's been cared and def pref not tracked however it's manual and prob out of the budget range. Seriously tho I'm am interested in the Koleos and Latitude in particular re any known or typical issues as I think at this stage of the game they have the best look in. The forum can usually provide some real world feedback on people's personal experiences. I'm mates with a 25yr veteran Renault tech and he's giving me the thumbs up but I very much like to hear from the daily users of these vehicles.

1000+ Posts

My wife said the Latitude was too big, and so we bought a Scenic Series 2 for her to drive. It is a very good car indeed and despite having 170,000 on the clock has no rattles, scratches in the paint, or interior issues. It comes with a separate mirror to watch the kids in the back, sun blinds on the windows, etc etc. But guess who's still driving the Latitude and who has ended up stuck with the Scenic. The Latitude diesel is a great car. The seats are adjustable every which way and fuel consumption great for a large car. On a trip I have been down around 5.8 litres per 100 kilometres. A mixed city country cycle seems to average about 7litres per 100. The Scenic is easier to drive in traffic as you sit higher and it is smaller. I guess it depends on use. If you do mostly local city driving, kids to school, shopping etc, I'd definitely go Scenic. If you do some longer trips then Latitude is the go. Check out the reversing camera on the Latitude it also shows where you will end up with the steering wheel turned. Then there is the presence key. Two things I really miss on my other cars
    JohnW likes this.

And don't dismiss a Koleos 4x2, they have a commanding driving position, are easy to get in and out of, are reasonably economical and with the correct tyre pressures handle and stop very well. They were designed by Renault, too, and like the Latitude have Korean reliability!
    cam740 likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thanks for the feedback so far. It's quite positive really. I could rattle off a few quirky things a Clio 172/182 could throw your way that might turn off a newbie to the reigns for example : TDC sensor, noisy power steering pump, knocking top mounts on front struts, engine mounts a little soft prone to wear, cabin plastics coatings not surviving blazing Aussie sun too well, steering wheel grips etc, leaky selector under gear box and so forth. Nothing that can't be easily sorted if you are partially handy / or they don't really need 'sorting' as such and of course these things present often over a decade of ownership. So far I'm struggling to find issues as such with the Koleos and Lattitude.

Hell I've even done battle with Laguna II door locks, window regs and steering locks and won

Surely there must be something that these latest cars have that I need to keep an eye on?

My 2c worth.

Earlier this year I helped a friend buy a Lattitude. She loves it, It was funny only last week we were out in it and I went to park it and got told no not here over there, I still have new car syndrome.

At a club meeting a rep from a Renault dealer was giving us a talk on modern Renaults and repairs and maintenance. He never mentioned Lattitude and I had to ask him. His answer was nothing ever goes wrong, we change there oil once a year and that's it. My friends car has a loud clunk when you open the roof and he said that was there only problem and that gets fixed with an upgrade under warranty.

When she was looking we drove everything, Passat, Audi, Honda, Citroen and she couldn't believe how much better it drove for less money and a longer warranty (Except Citroen) The clinch was when I took her into the service dept. VW's everywhere with there guts spewd across the floor and at Renault, a nice clean empty workshop, 1 early Clio sitting idle on a hoist and 5 people outside washing a X84 Megane (about an 2005 model) like that was all they had to do.
    Kim Luck likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

An indication of modern Renault reliability is this forum.

Look at Peugeot and Citroen and see how many people are having problems with newer cars compared to Renault people. Either Renault owners are not having problems or there not Aussiefoggers.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thanks for your input David. It is quite reassuring. I'm conveying these posts to my partner. Keep it coming fellas. Regards Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    An indication of modern Renault reliability is this forum.

Look at Peugeot and Citroen and see how many people are having problems with newer cars compared to Renault people. Either Renault owners are not having problems or there not Aussiefoggers.
    That is my very clear impression of the Clio and Megane range - good reliability.

(In support of Mase buying a Renault, we just had a hire Toyota Corolla for three days - what a horrible POS. I know how they keep the price down now - just omit suspension and you save quite a few dollars. It was like the Xantia on its bump stops.)

Cheers
    Graelin likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I have a little anecdotal story to share. Many of you would know my dad John Masefield. We were on holiday in SA down at Goolwa. My eldest brother Andrew was with us. He is mentally disabled. We needed to pop into town to grab a few things and dad said " might as well take Andrew". So Andrew and I jump in the Clio 172 and head off. He had never been in my car before. About 400 meters down the road he says, "I like this car". I say, "why is that Andrew?" He says, "because it makes me happy".

Many of us would have heard motor writers say that over the years but to hear it come from Andrews mouth who is much like an innocent child, cemented in my mind just exactly what it is that I like about driving Renault.

Time for something else from the clan in the stable I think

Last edited by Mase; 9th November 2015 at 07:07 PM.
    JohnW, CXVingtCinq, 68 404 and 4 others like this.

What to buy? Looking at a later model Renault-imageuploadedbytapatalk1447056542.778497.jpgWhat to buy? Looking at a later model Renault-imageuploadedbytapatalk1447056574.843544.jpgWhat to buy? Looking at a later model Renault-imageuploadedbytapatalk1447056588.443267.jpgWhat to buy? Looking at a later model Renault-imageuploadedbytapatalk1447056604.270262.jpg

Just a few images from my phone of the 172 in its current guise. I don't usually use the BMC filter set up but I do like the induction note. Pressure drop across the Rev range is better on the OE set up with a panel filter. The intake and exhaust manifold are ceramic coated hence the shine. Other than that is fairly standard bar the Koni Yellows, Eibach Proline springs, OMP brace (for show) and Engine Dynamics cams and custom tune with Henk (Fastchip / Netherlands). I do also have some programmable gauges fitted that display ECU data via the RSTuner VCI interface. I guess that's not overly standard .. But in the spirit of things Renault Sport.

It's also very clean which is the way I prefer things. 197k in the clock. Going strong and very reliable!

Fellow Frogger!

My nephew's RS 250 Megane is now approaching 160000 trouble free klms, my mates Clio RS 197 has over 100000 and nothing has gone wrong,my Megane GT Line diesel had 27000 klms with no issues and I love my new RS200 which has irs 1000 klm check this week.
    I loved both my Lag diesels(11 and 111) so I would have no hesitation in giving modern Renaults the tick.

Good luck with your search,

Peter.
    JohnW and cam740 like this.
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    we just had a hire Toyota Corolla for three days - what a horrible POS.
    A bit off topic, but I dont think there is all that much in it these days between Corollas and Meganes and Mazdas etc etc...

I found the current Corrola to be a decent drive - a very "sprited" run into Milford Sound through the mountains in a 6 speed manual Corrola was very entertaining, the chassis stepped up the challenge suprisngly well.

I'd certainly take a straight swap of our Megane 2 sedan for a current Corolla.

Mase, get her whatever she wants. A happy wife is a happy life theory applies here, and its just a car.

Its hard to buy a bad car these days.
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Mase, get her whatever she wants. A happy wife is a happy life theory applies here, and its just a car.

Its hard to buy a bad car these days.
    And how difficult to get a good wife? Whatever car she'd like, get it.

Avoid the Corolla though, as she'll end up injured by the lack of suspension.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Mase. Is that "John Masefield" Poet Laureate of "Cargoes" and. "I must go Down To The Seas again" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Mase. Is that "John Masefield" Poet Laureate of "Cargoes" and. "I must go Down To The Seas again" ?
    Don't forget "Laugh and Be Merry" Mr Beest.

A Megane GT Line wagon should provide suitable street cred as well as being reasonably practical transport. Also, there aren't a lot of them about, which increases the street cred. quotient for some people.

I have to say we are happy with ours, albeit it's only 7 months old. (1.2 L petrol, 6 speed EDC)

Regards,

pj
    cam740 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    It's good to see that you paid attention in your English classes, Wildebeest!!!!

It is easy to pick the well educated people, sir.

John Masefield ( Mase's Dad, and the reason for his Reno addiction.)
    Mase likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information