Spare key for Koleos Bose?
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Spare key for Koleos Bose?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Spare key for Koleos Bose?

Having recently purchased a nice, "Approved Used" Renault Koleos Bose from a local Renault dealer, I was told there was no spare key because: "We have lost it, sorry. You will have to buy your own at a cost of approx $500 and it will have to be ordered from France with 14 day delivery time?"
    My questions are: is this fair and reasonable, and secondly: why is there no spare key in this country?
    Apart from that, does anyone know where to obtain a similar key at a more reasonable cost?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Having recently purchased a nice, slightly used, Koleos Bose from a local Renault dealer, I was told there was no spare key because: "We have lost it, sorry. You will have to buy your own at a cost of approx $500 and it will have to be ordered from France with 14 day delivery time?"
    My questions are: is this fair and reasonable, and secondly: why is there no spare key in this country?
    Apart from that, does anyone know where to obtain a similar key at a more reasonable cost?
    I was faced with a similar situation with Honda Legend a few years ago. We found a key cutting kiosk in the local shopping centre who could clone the existing key.

It's a two step process:

- Read the original transponder chip and make a duplicate
    - Cut a duplicate the key and fit the chip to a snap together key "head"

It cost around $80 all up . And worked perfectly. Although it didn't look original.

A well set up lock smith should be able to do the same.

NOTE: Depending on the encoding system of the transponder system it may not be possible to duplicate.The locksmith should be able to "read" the chip and tell you this before starting work.

You could ring and ask the company listed below (API Locksmith).

Brisbane :API Locksmiths, 13 / 43 Lang Pde, Milton 07 3377 9500

Gold Coast: API Locksmiths, 118 Scarborough St, Southport 07 5531

Best of Luck
    Last edited by robmac; 6th November 2015 at 09:10 AM.

Koleos comes with a plastic key card so there's nothing to cut. You have to get a new card.

Sourcing the card from France means that the key card can never be cloned. It's a deliberate security measure, but a real pain if you lose a key, or get given only one key when you buy the car. The new key is supplied coded for your car and has to be validated by a dealer.

Many years ago a mate got his licence and the first thing he did was secretly get an extra key cut for his dad's Falcon so he could "borrow" it when his dad wasn't around. It all worked well for a while.

Fellow Frogger!

Hey fellas, thanks for the valuable advice. Yes, the "key" is not a key but an electronic "card" (although there is a conventional key hidden within the card, for emergencies - it will open the door but nothing else.) The Bose key is a 'proximity key', which means that all you have to do is have it in your pocket or wallet and never take it out - and therein lies the rub: it is very easy to lose the card if you never have to have it in your hand to operate the vehicle. I dare say this happened to the original key: the previous owner just walked off with it and probably still has it in his pants pocket/handbag/wallet/desk drawer. And they all look alike - I suspect that Renault and/or the dealers have a box full of orphan keys and don't know which car they belong to and then expect the punters to buy very expensive new ones. (Why does such a simple little gadget cost more than the latest smart phone I wonder?)

Sourcing the card from France means that the key card can never be cloned.
    An impossibility - prox cards can always be copied by someone with the knowledge and duplication equipment.

All that is required is "brief personal encounter" with the the card.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAzZMG7HkSA

After all the technology is used in every RFID/ prox card.

Here is interesting link about key cards.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...s-systems.html

A steel tin works just as well as the freezer!
    Last edited by robmac; 6th November 2015 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks for those links robmac.

So someone intent on defeating the system will be able to do it. You've still got to wonder why the replacement is so expensive, except they can charge that so they do.

Just had my Laguna 2 Key card repaired by Alpine Affaire. Was repaired within 3 hours and is working well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Le Hughes View Post
    Thanks for those links robmac.

So someone intent on defeating the system will be able to do it. You've still got to wonder why the replacement is so expensive, except they can charge that so they do.
    I'd have expected the dealer to knock off $500 from the final price straight up. They were selling you an incomplete vehicle!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Fellow Frogger!

With the spiralling cost of genuine keys when purchasing a used vehicle it pays to include in the sales invoice that 2 keys be include. I think it's pretty shonky for Renault to sell you an approved used car and not have made it clear there was one key, or to provide a second at their cost. Reject the car.

No consolation to anyone to hear what my friend's Benz immobilizer key cost to replace..... Well over $500. Ripoff smells are strong.

Similar to our 306 factory sunroof years ago - half the price of an identical one from the same supplier but fitted "factory" to a BMW.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dave_R16TS View Post
    With the spiralling cost of genuine keys when purchasing a used vehicle it pays to include in the sales invoice that 2 keys be include. I think it's pretty shonky for Renault to sell you an approved used car and not have made it clear there was one key, or to provide a second at their cost. Reject the car.
    Quite right, Mr. dave_R16TS. I was made aware of the lack of a spare key and was on the point of walking away but reconsidered, thinking: 'how difficult can it be to get a duplicate?' (I know - age does not protect us against stupidity!) However, the more important principle is that a "Renault Approved Used" should have a spare key as a matter of course. I am considering taking the matter to Renault Australia because they are the source of these 'Appoved Used' vehicles, which may be ex-rentals or ex-fleet or ex-demos, and I suspect the keys are lost there, or in transit. The irony is that the dealer's salesman made doubly sure that my trade-in had the required spare key!!

Quite right, Mr. dave_R16TS. I was made aware of the lack of a spare key and was on the point of walking away but reconsidered, thinking: 'how difficult can it be to get a duplicate?' (I know - age does not protect us against stupidity!) However, the more important principle is that a "Renault Approved Used" should have a spare key as a matter of course. I am considering taking the matter to Renault Australia because they are the source of these 'Appoved Used' vehicles, which may be ex-rentals or ex-fleet or ex-demos, and I suspect the keys are lost there, or in transit. The irony is that the dealer's salesman made doubly sure that my trade-in had the required spare key!!
    You certainly have had your share of angst with Renaults, haven't you Breitie?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    You certainly have had your share of angst with Renaults, haven't you Breitie?

Dave
    Yes Mr 68 404. "sucker for punishment" is the appropriate term I believe. After ten years, three Renaults and a fortune lost in savage depreciation, I have now reached the pinnacle of automotive luxury for plebs, and still the headaches from banging my nut against that legendary brick wall continue. But heck, who wants to drive a me-too CX5 or RAV4 like everybody else! I'd rather walk.

"Vive la difference!" he defiantly shouts on his way to bankruptcy!
    Last edited by Breitie; 6th December 2015 at 07:10 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dave_R16TS View Post
    The saga of THE KEY continues! Renault did not sell me the car without a spare key but one of their dealers did. Anyway, having purchased a new key&card from France for $375 (coding is $75 extra) I get a message from said dealer a month later, telling me gleefully that they have finally found the missing key. Bliss! A little too late as I now have not one but three keys at considerable unnecessary expense.
    I had been in touch with the lovely people at Renault Australia, who, I suspect, have had a hand in chasing up that elusive key. I must emphasise that I always find them very helpful.
    I have aslo learnt that the reason key$card have to come from France is the metal key that is hidden in the card, which has to be cut to fit one particular vehicle only. The electronic card appears to be generic and according to one knowledgeable source can be coded to any modern Renault that uses a proximity key.

NOTE: I have since been advised to the contrary, namely that the card is made for one specific VIN ONLY, and cannot be transferred.
    Last edited by Breitie; 6th December 2015 at 07:09 AM.

COL

The saga of THE KEY continues! Renault did not sell me the car without a spare key but one of their dealers did. Three times I have had dealings with that dealer and three times I have been disappointed and out of pocket. (probably my fault really, because I keep coming back for more - I never learn) Anyway, having purchased a new key&card from France for $375 (coding is $75 extra) I get a message from said dealer a month later, telling me gleefully that they have finally found the missing key. Bliss! A little too late as I now I have not one but three keys at considerable expense to myself. I had been in touch with the lovely people at Renault Australia, who, I suspect, have had a hand in chasing up that elusive key. I must emphasise that I always find them very helpful.
    I have aslo learnt that the reason key$card have to come from France is the metal key that is hidden in the card, which has to be cut to fit one particular vehicle only. The electronic card appears to be generic and according to one knowledgeable source can be coded to any modern Renault that uses a proximity key. He said that they can even be re-coded to another vehicle.

That means that I now have one "virgin" (uncoded) new proximity card for sale. However, the metal key that comes with it will not fit your car. Any offers?
    Send an invoice to the Renault dealer that has misplaced and finally found the missing key for all you out of pocket expenses and also for the 3rd uncoded key. Telling the reason that you are giving them the invoice is for their incompetence and you expect payment within 7 days.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

The concealed door-opening key can - so far as I know - be cut by automotive locksmiths off a visual reference like Alfa and PSA keys.

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Send an invoice to the Renault dealer that has misplaced and finally found the missing key for all you out of pocket expenses and also for the 3rd uncoded key. Telling the reason that you are giving them the invoice is for their incompetence and you expect payment within 7 days.
    And make absolutely sure you will never have full cooperation on any matter from the dealer even again.

Because of the slap-in-face for them making an effort to find the second "missing" fob.

I'd say "thanks very much" and be happy the original fob surfaced and was given to you.

Reselling the surplus fob, is the best way to recover some of the costs.
    Last edited by robmac; 29th November 2015 at 12:14 PM.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    And make absolutely sure you will never have full cooperation on any matter from the dealer even again.

Because of the slap-in-face for them making an effort to find the second "missing" fob.

I'd say "thanks very much" and be happy the original fob surfaced and was given to you.

I wouldn't be going back again. Not real hard to keep the keys for a cars in stock in order its just good house keeping.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

COL

I just re-read the first post, they admit to losing the key so you would of thought out of good customer service they would replace it.
    It is poor house keeping that lost it in the first place.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Icon11

I have a car that came through a Queensland dealer. Whilst in their custody, they managed to:

• Lose two of three keys
    • Crash it
    • Overheat it
    • Lose the books
    • Lose two spare alloy rims

So I think Breijte is doing well!

I wouldn't be going back again. Not real hard to keep the keys for a cars in stock in order its just good house keeping.
    Try telling the previous owner, or previous seller that ! Maybe the car only had one set keys when delievered to the dealer.

With a stat warranty being able to go back may be necessary.

A fundamental rule of dealing with people IMO is "don't sh!t in your nest and fall back into it"

What would expect a Dealer principal to say to a request for reimbursement for purchase of an item which he had not authorized?

I'm quite confident it would start with "Get" and finish with " f%^&ed".
    Last edited by robmac; 29th November 2015 at 01:50 PM.

COL

Try telling the previous owner, or previous seller that ! Maybe the car only had one set keys when delievered to the dealer.

With a stat warranty being able to go back may be necessary.

A fundamental rule of dealing with people IMO is "don't sh!t in your nest and fall back into it"

What would expect a Dealer principal to say to a request for reimbursement for purchase of an item which he had not authorized?

I'm quite confident it would start with "Get" and finish with " f%^&ed".
    If they can't do the simple stuff makes we wonder how good they are at the hard stuff.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

If they can't do the simple stuff makes we wonder how good they are at the hard stuff.
    Agreed, but it is a bit harsh bagging them if they were never given the second Fob by the original owner.

COL

Agreed, but it is a bit harsh bagging them if they were never given the second Fob by the original owner.
    Read the first post Rob they admit to losing the spare key.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Read the first post Rob they admit to losing the spare key.
    Would you believe a car salesperson ?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information