r10 expansion tank bottle cap
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: r10 expansion tank bottle cap

Default r10 expansion tank bottle cap

anyone got an r10 expansion tank bottle cap. mine has rusted where the rubber hose fits in hence no vacuum and the coolant won't flow back into the radiator. i've asked a couple of guys but no word yet. if they have it'll be good to have a spare.
    cheers

Advertisement

You'll have to specify if it is for the original glass bottle, or a replacement later type plastic bottle. Have you tried French Connection for either type?
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post
    anyone got an r10 expansion tank bottle cap. mine has rusted where the rubber hose fits in hence no vacuum and the coolant won't flow back into the radiator. i've asked a couple of guys but no word yet. if they have it'll be good to have a spare. cheers
    They do appear on ebay sometimes, maybe Oz Ebay (specify whole world) or Ebay France. I definitely saw one in the last few weeks.

Personally, I'd ditch the glass bottle anyway, and fit a later R12 plastic one with the much simpler top, that is common to several other models. Stronger, simpler, probably more reliable and resistant to dropping. That's what our R8 has had for years.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

I agree with the above. If the bottle doesn't seal properly it can cause all sorts of dramas on R10s - it drove me spare on my first one until I nutted it out.

I like the look of the glass bottles so I've been looking for some of the vents for a while - with little success.

But old glass bottles have a number of flaws: 1) the rubber gasket fails and you lose pressure, 2) the plastic/Bakelite ring that holds the vent in place cracks and you cant get the vent to seal; 3) the hose inside the bottle swells/goes baggy and doesn't thermo-syphon as it should, and; 4) the vent either blocks (that can be dramatic!) or wont hold pressure. Any of these things - as minor as they seem - will impact on cooling.

So yeah, for piece of mind go for the plastic bottle, it is a far better design.

P
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    I agree with the above. If the bottle doesn't seal properly it can cause all sorts of dramas on R10s - it drove me spare on my first one until I nutted it out.

I like the look of the glass bottles so I've been looking for some of the vents for a while - with little success.

But old glass bottles have a number of flaws: 1) the rubber gasket fails and you lose pressure, 2) the plastic/Bakelite ring that holds the vent in place cracks and you cant get the vent to seal; 3) the hose inside the bottle swells/goes baggy and doesn't thermo-syphon as it should, and; 4) the vent either blocks (that can be dramatic!) or wont hold pressure. Any of these things - as minor as they seem - will impact on cooling.

So yeah, for piece of mind go for the plastic bottle, it is a far better design.

P
    And, if you really want the glass look (which I really like, even though I jumped from cracked brass tank to plastic fantastic for practical reasons), there are caps etc available if you keep looking on ebay.

Here's one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RENAULT-R...cAAOSwgQ9VuO3Q

Best wishes with it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Or in other words, because they're so crap but look good everyone holds onto their spares and don't have a spare to spare, perhaps.
    59 Floride likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Or in other words, because they're so crap but look good everyone holds onto their spares and don't have a spare to spare, perhaps.
    Wouldn't be the first time John! If I had one, I'd post it off for sure. I know where to get bottles, but don't know of any tops lying around. Hence ebay suggestion.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I was referring to myself. I ran mine with silicon for years and finally found a spare which is now on the car. I think I also have another spare but I wouldn't part out as I have three cars that I wish to one day return to the road.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    I was referring to myself. I ran mine with silicon for years and finally found a spare which is now on the car. I think I also have another spare but I wouldn't part out as I have three cars that I wish to one day return to the road.
    Very funny. In your defence, something that you really plan to use really isn't available and no conscience issue in my mind! I have a few things like that.

Of course, for my R8, the orginal expansion tank was a brass device.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Here's another bakelite top ring: Bouchon DE Vase D' Expansion PJ Citroen Renault R8 R5 R10 Peugeot Simca | eBay

So, this stuff is around, just takes a bit of looking and heaven knows how much patience!

Good luck with the hunt.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I've asked a couple of people but nothing yet. it's the glass bottle one and because the hose barely fitted I stuck it back with silicone and it seems to have worked. I did see one on Ebay from USA and he wanted $230 for it. stuff that. Didn't want the whole thing. I'll stick with this and order a plastic one. $48 from Spain with postage. Considering all that can go wrong with the one I've got with the seal and bakelite top ring, vent and rubber tube fitting i think the plastic one will be the go. thanks all for the info.

I've asked a couple of people but nothing yet. it's the glass bottle one and because the hose barely fitted I stuck it back with silicone and it seems to have worked. I did see one on Ebay from USA and he wanted $230 for it. stuff that. Didn't want the whole thing. I'll stick with this and order a plastic one. $48 from Spain with postage. Considering all that can go wrong with the one I've got with the seal and bakelite top ring, vent and rubber tube fitting i think the plastic one will be the go. thanks all for the info.
    So would I. Come to think of it, I did.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I think I've still got a bottle lid somewhere.
    The glass part broke during one of my house moves so I got left with the lid.

The metal part of these lids is stainless steel so it's odd that yours would be rusting.
    It might only be 302 or 304 grade but it still shouldn't rust.
    The rubber seals and pipes of course go old and hard but can be replaced without too much difficulty.

I'll have a look in the shed when I get a moment and see if it's still there.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Default giant ka-boom!

Years ago I had a very dramatic explosion of one of these glass bottles in a 15 sitting in traffic.

Stating the obvious the valve ontop had blocked.

I had cleaned the engine bay and glass bottle inside and out, given the thing a flush the day before.

It was apparent on the drive home something wasn't right, the temperature shot up so I pulled over and stopped the car.
    Short of exploding in my face, as I was lifting the bonnet it went off, and the worst I did was scould my hand.

Flushed the system properly after that.
    Last edited by vivid; 9th November 2015 at 10:50 AM.

ren, the stainless steel lid part is ok , it's the metal tube in it that has rusted. the part that goes onto the rubber tube. the silicon has worked so far and i've ordered a plastic one from spain. so it'll do till it arrives. if you find the lid part i'll take it as a spare. just in case. pm me for details.
    cheers
    jim

I've seen people solder in new tubes before. Maybe a radiator repair place could help?
    KB

I'm taking it for a run on the weekend so I'll see how it goes. I'm taking a towrope too !

1000+ Posts

I've got a couple of pickle jars surplus to requirements. Happy to do a swap for a good vent.

Halves on postage.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Well the run down to Dongara didn't go too well. Only went about 5kms and boom ! the glass expansion tank blew up as i was driving ! glass and coolant everywhere. topped up the radiator and had some fellow classic cars stopped to give me a hand and follow me back home. Just like vivids experience. Must have been a sticking valve. I've got a plastic one on the way and I'll flush the system thoroughly before i go out again. had a quick look and can't see any other damage done. so you can keep your pickle jars Pete !

COL

Well the run down to Dongara didn't go too well. Only went about 5kms and boom ! the glass expansion tank blew up as i was driving ! glass and coolant everywhere. topped up the radiator and had some fellow classic cars stopped to give me a hand and follow me back home. Just like vivids experience. Must have been a sticking valve. I've got a plastic one on the way and I'll flush the system thoroughly before i go out again. had a quick look and can't see any other damage done. so you can keep your pickle jars Pete !
    I have never seen one of these explode. Are you sure that you don't have a blown head gasket of something like that causing lots of pressure in the bottle.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

i would say you have a blown head gasket.if all was well there should not be any more than the coolant expansion pressure in your system as it gets up to running temerature.the valve on the expansion bottle is designed to blow off at 1 bar to allow for too much pressure in the system caused by overheating. a blown head gasket will do this almost immediately and if the valve does not release that pressure either the hose or the glass bottle will let go.

cheers brian

Idle it with the radiator cap off - you'll soon know! It doesn't take a large leak at 3,000 rpm to produce a lot of gas. The slightest regular bubbling will give it away.

Hope it isn't of course....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Idle it with the radiator cap off - you'll soon know! It doesn't take a large leak at 3,000 rpm to produce a lot of gas. The slightest regular bubbling will give it away.

Hope it isn't of course....
    Like farting in the bath tub, right..?

yeah maybe you're right. i'll try that but either way i have to take the radiator out as it looked a bit blocked with crud. drove it home and water was down so i could see the tubes inside the radiator and most were blocked. i'll give the motor a flush and look at the thermostat. there goes my weekend and more !!

COL

yeah maybe you're right. i'll try that but either way i have to take the radiator out as it looked a bit blocked with crud. drove it home and water was down so i could see the tubes inside the radiator and most were blocked. i'll give the motor a flush and look at the thermostat. there goes my weekend and more !!
    If most of the tubes are blocked, from my experience it is best to remove the radiator from the car and remove the end tanks and rod out the tubes and then re-assemble.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information