Fuego Timing Belt
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: Fuego Timing Belt

Icon7 Fuego Timing Belt

As part of my recent side-track into Fuego tending, I had a timing belt change on the menu for today. A bit grubby in there.

Fuego Timing Belt-image.jpg Fuego Timing Belt-image.jpg Fuego Timing Belt-image.jpg

I found the timing front cover had an alignment mark for the cam sprocket that was different to the alignment mark for the same sprocket on the back cover. I elected to use the back cover mark. There was also a "window" and pointer on the front timing cover, for the oil pump jackshaft but no visible notches on the sprocket for it. Couldn't find anything for indexing the crank sprocket. Certainly nothing like the Gates diagram:

Fuego Timing Belt-image.jpeg

So I made a scratch mark to align the crank. Even Haynes might have been a glimmer of knowledge here...

Time to strip it all off and clean up a little. I think the leaks are almost 100% from the crank seal. Being on tour meant no impact gun, I was outdoors and rain was ever-threatening. The crank seal will have to wait, but at least having been cleaned the nature and seriousness of all frontal leaks will be easier to assess.

Fuego Timing Belt-image.jpg Fuego Timing Belt-image.jpg

Advertisement

Fitted a new tensioner from Jo Proffi and greased up the plunger/spring with Nulon L80. Installed a barely-used belt, origin unknown - it'd been fitted before but probably only done a week's duty. I chose this because the oil leaks aren't fully resolved and the belt was free. It really is, as-new; I had it beside a brand new item for checking.

Fuego Timing Belt-image.jpg

Covers refitted and after a few cranks, off she went. Lovely and smooth. I think the timing will be bang on, but it would have been good to know the actual indexing marks though.

One final question, should there be two decent sized bolts in these holes?

Thanks, Adam.

WTF is that mount made of??

Is that a lump of iron???
    I thought my mount was solid, but that takes solid to a new level.

I cant offer much help for what marks are what.
    My donk has no marks and an aftermarket adjustable cam wheel, but from memory it is rather hard to stuff it up.
    Rocking either side of TDC and observing the overlap should be fine.

There is a neat way of getting crank at absolute TDC +- bugger all.
    On the inlet side of the donk, near the blanking plate(where the PAS dizzy would be) is a small bolt with an 8mm thread.
    Remove that, and stick an 8mm drill or rod down into the crank counterweight once near TDC.
    At absolute TDC the rod will slip into a slot and allow next to no movement.
    On a degree wheel the movement is un measurable.

Resist any temptation to use this rod to anchor the crank for any reason like removing the main pulley though.

Did you set the tensioner angle??

Jo

The tensioner angle seemed to work on the new belt without adjusting. I turned it a lot of times to check.

Probably Ok.
    There is a procedure using a feeler gauge and that little adjusting screw.
    I have always followed the procedure, but I wouldn't be too concerned by not.
    Jo

An afternoon of road testing and it seems all good. I'm quite relieved.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Thread Information