Gear selector cable
  • Help

Default Gear selector cable

Has anyone here had the pleasure of replacing the gear selector cable on an auto JA Scenic?

Advertisement

Drove home yesterday and all was fine until I parked the car in the driveway to open the gate.
    Got back in and started the car but when I went to change gears at first it was stiff and wouldn't move (yes, I had my foot on the brake) so I thought it was an electrical problem with the lockout solenoid. But then it just gave way and moved back and forth without any resistance and without movement at the gearbox selector.
    I'm assuming the cable either broke or the balljoint on the gear lever has come undone.
    Fortunately I was able to eventually move the thing by having son in law press on the brake and I moved the gear selector under the bonnet into drive. That got it out from blocking the driveway so I can get my other car out.

As one can move the gear selector on the box itself, the problem had to be with the gear lever. I pulled up the console and there's nothing accessible from there.
    I had a look in the Haynes and it appears that the selector cable can only be accessed from below and one has to move the exhaust and remove heat shields to get at the thing. Before I pull the thing apart I need to decide if it isn't better to get the thing towed to the workshop so the mechanic can do it on a hoist. Moving rusty exhaust pipes is never a good idea unless one is prepared to replace some that will invariably break. Probably a $2 part (or maybe more if a new selector cable is needed) and half an hour for them to do it on hoist. Half a day and much harsh language for me to do it.

But I could be wrong and it might be easy-peasy.
    Last edited by REN TIN TIN; 5th November 2015 at 08:12 AM.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Went to move the car yesterday and while waiting for my SIL to turn up I though I'd try to move the selector and would you believe it, everything worked fine.
    Moved the gear selector on the box to park, started the car, and the gear selector moved into all gears (P,R,N,D) without a problem. Just to check it wasn't a fluke, stopped and restarted the car and moved the gear selector and again everything worked fine. Is it possible for a cable to become detached and then reattach itself (if that was the problem in the first place)?

Now am thinking is that there might be a issue in the gearbox itself that only shows up when the unit is hot although that wouldn't explain why the gear lever was flopping about like a cork in a pisspot and not moving the selector. And over the couple of hours I was swearing at it on Tuesday it would have had time to cool down.
    God I hate intermittent faults. Don't know whether to put it all back together and drive it until it happens again (which of course will happen at the most inconvenient time) or pull it apart and look for a fault that isn't there any more.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

It sounds like the cable. There fairly common at this age of car. Just buy a new one from Renault (about $220) Don't muck around with SH or non gen it'll all end in tears.

Rotten job even with a hoist. exhaust needs to be removed from the flange back including the cat and you need to drop the K frame to do that.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thanks David. It's selecting again although it does feel a bit "sloppy".
    I had a look and decided to put it back together and hope it lasts a bit while longer.
    It's very cramped and didn't look like the sort of job one would do lying on one's back with the car on ramps (unless you had no choice).

It's due it's next service in February and I'll get the workshop to replace the thing while it's in there.
    I know they use genuine Renault parts so it will be done properly.
    But knowing my luck, it will die in a busy intersection during peakhour or blocking an exit to a car park etc.
    Somewhere it's likely to cause the utmost anguish.

Thread Information