Clive needs help!
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Clive needs help!

Default Clive needs help!

G'day froggers, Clive the R10 has been off the road for too long now and I really want to start having fun with the little rat bag again, so it's time to sort the brakes "again". The master cylinder was re kitted 5 years ago and is leaking again. Power Brakes have checked it out and the brass sleeve that was fitted before I bought the car (I've had it 11 years now) is worn out, so the choice is buy a new one from France for 72 euro, which I've never done before or have Clive's re-sleeved in stainless steel and re-kitted again for $252. I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and have it re-sleeved.
    Next problem is my sticking left front caliper. Both front calipers are stripped and one needs a new piston Options are to have the problem piston rechromed for $152 eek! or a new one from France for 45 euro and have to wait who knows how long to get it, or .... do any of you top chaps have a spare usable 38mm piston surplus to your requirements? ... beg, grovel ...

Advertisement
    cheers,

John

I don't have any spare Pistons, but I've bought lots of stuff from Ichard and mecaparts and the longest I've had to wait would be 3 weeks. 1-2 is more common, less than a week possible.

My comment is that the freight component from OS can often be as much as or more than the original cost so maybe power brakes may be then way to go.
    KB

Thanks KB, I was guessing it would be a few weeks, but had no idea on freight costs. I was trying to use these guys bretagneautoretro.fr but the postage didn't seem to change much when selecting Australia so I wasn't too confident with clicking Pay. I emailed them last week but haven't had a response yet.

The stainless sleeved master cylinder should be better than new in theory too I guess.
    cheers,

John

I'll have a good piston I think, I'll mount a search tonight and see what's In the toy c'bd.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Oh you da man G! Thanks fella, much appreciated.

PS - still looking good for 14/11
    cheers,

John

Got yer covered there J-man, the working face where the seal runs is perfect with just a little damage from hamfistedness (not mine) at the business end. If you still live at the same place I'll post it tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clive needs help!-img_2651.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 26th October 2015 at 06:44 PM.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

You little ripper! Thanks so much G. Let me know what the damage is fella.
    Still at the same house of Renault
    Thanks again mate.
    cheers,

John

I'm always happy to help where I can..

See you in November. BYO sunscreen and sunnies.

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    G'day froggers, Clive the R10 has been off the road for too long now and I really want to start having fun with the little rat bag again, so it's time to sort the brakes "again". The master cylinder was re kitted 5 years ago and is leaking again. Power Brakes have checked it out and the brass sleeve that was fitted before I bought the car (I've had it 11 years now) is worn out, so the choice is buy a new one from France for 72 euro, which I've never done before or have Clive's re-sleeved in stainless steel and re-kitted again for $252. I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and have it re-sleeved.
    Next problem is my sticking left front caliper. Both front calipers are stripped and one needs a new piston Options are to have the problem piston rechromed for $152 eek! or a new one from France for 45 euro and have to wait who knows how long to get it, or .... do any of you top chaps have a spare usable 38mm piston surplus to your requirements? ... beg, grovel ...

Hi John.
    I have a box with R8/R10 brake bits in it. Just checked and there are two old R10 brake calipers with pistons in them. I took all my pistons out a year ago and cleaned them up with 600/1000 wet and dry, bought a full set of piston seals from PBR at Holden Hill and the brakes are perfect and not a leak anywhere. If you need the calipers with the pistons you are welcome to them. I also bought a new Master Cylinder from Jaques USA $160 plus postage $40.
    Bye the way. On 8th November at Wigley Reserve Glenelg is the ''All French Day''. Any chance you might make it ??
    Hope you get CLIVE going again soon.
    Cheers
    Phil
    Last edited by R8philSA; 27th October 2015 at 09:37 PM.

G'day Phil, I've had a chat to Graham and it would be great if I could grab one (or two) of your front calipers. I'll give you a call tomorrow
    I'll have to play the "All French Day" by ear but I'd love to go.
    cheers,

John

G'day Phil, I've had a chat to Graham and it would be great if I could grab one (or two) of your front calipers. I'll give you a call tomorrow
    I'll have to play the "All French Day" by ear but I'd love to go.
    Hi John
    Hope they do the job for you.
    Cheers
    Phil

Default Clive needs help!

Hi Phil, thanks so much for your generosity today. I left the other bits on the blue bin. I took the calipers straight to Power Brakes to check the pistons but unfortunately both pistons had pitting on their sealing surfaces. Can't be too hard on them though, they're well over 40 years old now! Not to worry though, Graham is sending down the piston he had in his treasure chest, so Clive will be alive again in no time

Thanks again to Graham too, he's not a bad sort
    cheers,

John

Hi Phil, thanks so much for your generosity today. I left the other bits on the blue bin. I took the calipers straight to Power Brakes to check the pistons but unfortunately both pistons had pitting on their sealing surfaces. Can't be too hard on them though, they're well over 40 years old now! Not to worry though, Graham is sending down the piston he had in his treasure chest, so Clive will be alive again in no time

Just found this thread. Let me know if you need anything after Graham's piston arrives. I'm bound to have various bits and pieces. The piston he photographed looks perfect. They tolerate microscratches parallel to the direction of movement.

My main comment is that your problem is precisely why I use silicone brake fluid. The hygroscopic stuff absorbs moisture of course, and it comes in precisely where you don't want it, under the seal in that groove in the calliper. There was a set of callipers on, I think Ebay France the other week. I got a pair of fully reconditioned callipers from Ebay USA a few years back, so they are out there.

I'd buy seal kits overseas (well, always have since they became hard to find locally) but always on the back of another order, that is saving up until the list is big enough to justify the postage.

All OK at your end?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thanks John, appreciate that. I should be right once the piston arrives. Apart from the pistons, Power Brakes stock all the seals to do the job and still have the specs to make new hoses too. I'm going to bravely make an assumption that their quality is still good since they've been around forever and still seem to have a good reputation.
    I've never bought anything for my cars from over seas apart from a Bluetooth diagnostic scanner that works with your smart phone to retrieve trouble codes. That works a treat! Not on Clive though ...

All ok at my end? Only just. Mrs J-man's health is still very brittle but she's managed to stay out of hospital for a couple of months now. I just hope she can "behave" for our 17th wedding anniversary next month. We've planned a short holiday. Something we haven't been able to do for a long time. If all goes to plan, we'll even finally get to meet my good mate the master (Graham that is) and hopefully Arto. Fingers crossed hey!

Thanks for asking John and likewise I hope you and your family are well. One day we need to catch up as well!
    cheers,

John

Yes, sometimes there are bargains to be found overseas, it all depends on whether a vendor will post or if you have a tame middleman. One of my favourite scores was genuine new (not exchange) Renault drive shafts for £39 each. Even when they were airmailed it was still a huge win - basically cost $140 each on to my doormat.

Thanks John, appreciate that. I should be right once the piston arrives. Apart from the pistons, Power Brakes stock all the seals to do the job and still have the specs to make new hoses too. I'm going to bravely make an assumption that their quality is still good since they've been around forever and still seem to have a good reputation.
    I've never bought anything for my cars from over seas apart from a Bluetooth diagnostic scanner that works with your smart phone to retrieve trouble codes. That works a treat! Not on Clive though ...

All ok at my end? Only just. Mrs J-man's health is still very brittle but she's managed to stay out of hospital for a couple of months now. I just hope she can "behave" for our 17th wedding anniversary next month. We've planned a short holiday. Something we haven't been able to do for a long time. If all goes to plan, we'll even finally get to meet my good mate the master (Graham that is) and hopefully Arto. Fingers crossed hey!

Thanks for asking John and likewise I hope you and your family are well. One day we need to catch up as well!
    We're fine thanks, and yes we must meet! I haven't any Adelaide trips lined up.

Do hope your Q'ld trip comes off - the pair of you have well and truly deserved that. There's a great ROC in Q'ld as you probably know. Let me know if you want more contacts. And Bob Gray of the 4CV Register is in the south of Brissie.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Good to hear, and thanks John
    cheers,

John

Buma, what a shame. Let me know if Graham's doesn't work out, I have other contacts
    Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Buma, what a shame. Let me know if Graham's doesn't work out, I have other contacts
    Cheers
    Phil
    No worries Phil, Graham's piston is on its way down now, so Clive should be hooning again in no time
    cheers,

John

No worries Phil, Graham's piston is on its way down now, so Clive should be hooning again in no time
    Come HOOON with the rest of us at; FRENCH Car Day - Glenelg - Wigley Reserve 8th Nov 10:00am onwards

Phil

Thread Information