• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mistareno
  • 1 Post By Kenfuego
  • 2 Post By mistareno
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: Fuego 2.0 Clutch Pushrod Alignment

Icon11 Fuego 2.0 Clutch Pushrod Alignment

Surely this isn't how they're supposed to be?

Advertisement

Fuego 2.0 Clutch Pushrod Alignment-image.jpg

Administrator

The nylon bushes in the lever arm are gone allowing the arm to twist up. I had mine replaced with a self lubricating brass bush. It made the clutch alot smoother and lighter.

Thank you! I assume the bushing was bespoke.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Thank you! I assume the bushing was bespoke.
    Addo, Shorlube make a big range and you may find something off the shelf.

http://www.blsystems.com.au/PDF/SHOR...0CATALOGUE.pdf

For a relatively non critical application like this you may be able to "stack" two bushes
    Last edited by robmac; 25th October 2015 at 06:00 PM.

There is a realy good parts fuego going onto the market now.
    Has that and every other part you might want and then some.
    Jo

Found the thread about a porous bronze bushing:

Fuego Clutch pivot

This is odd.

Clearly I know my fuegos, but I have never seen a nylon bush, and every one i've pulled out or messed with has been a solid metal bush, probably aluminium.

Maybe the reputable repairers just replaced them with solid bearings as a matter of course.

Jo

Maybe so! You can see the pictured one is clearly not right, there is wasted motion and lotsa friction with it.

Whilst I look at that image, I wonder where the little metal cage is that stops the loom rubbing on the fork???

I suppose your next comment will be ....'What little cage'??

Jo

LOL, it didn't look right there either. I could see nascent chafing.

1000+ Posts

Enjoying the thread. I will try and locate the mechanism that has been pulled out of another Fuego and measure that up Addo, The original bolt has a stepped configuration, the thread of the bolt that screws into the aluminium crankcase is smaller than the diameter of the bearing surface, I don't think from memory that any of the ones that I have pulled apart had a nylon bearing fitted.

I do agree that the tilt of the bellcrank indicates wear and misalignment or else the bolt needs tightening carefully, it is a fine thread and easy to strip, so be careful. A self lubricating bronze bush if it can be accommodated would be an ideal modification. I will see if I can post a few pictures tomorrow.

Ken

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    This is odd.

Clearly I know my fuegos, but I have never seen a nylon bush, and every one i've pulled out or messed with has been a solid metal bush, probably aluminium.

Maybe the reputable repairers just replaced them with solid bearings as a matter of course.

Jo
    These are the factory bushes from a really low k Fuego.

There are no guarantees they were the same on all modes. They are a hard plastic/nylon.

Fuego 2.0 Clutch Pushrod Alignment-20151026_225204.jpg

Here are all the components.

Fuego 2.0 Clutch Pushrod Alignment-20151026_225148.jpg
    addo likes this.

It's a helpful picture, thank you. I can now say the bolt the is most likely original, the upper steel flat washer not so, and internal bushes long departed.

Would be a good candidate for a thin wall bronze bushing although the flange of a metal bush may be too fat, requiring a steel flat washer either side in lieu.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Making new nylon bush for Fuego clutch Bell crank

Decided to challenge myself and get back to some Fuego business, searched around among the odds and ends of Fuego's that I have pulled apart.

Found a Bell crank and also the stepped bolt and the thin shim spring washer, that I assume goes between the 22mm Hex and the upper nylon bush, yes it was there but the lower nylon bush as shown in Mistareno's post was lost in storage..

Now what does one do, I measured up the dimensions, noted that the metric thread was 0,5 pitch with an outside diameter of 0.3125 (close to 5/16th of an inch- and that seems to convert to metric 7.9375 according to the card in the imperial 0-1inch micrometer.

I also checked the size of the nylon bush and decided that as I have some nylon bush material and a small lathe I would make one up the same as the sample bush, as it appeared quite a good working fit in the crank

The Nylon is a bit fiddly to machine with the tool to get a fine finish, finished the outside to sample size with the flange the same size at the material, then drilled the centre out almost to finished size, then bored that internal size to the bolt diameter - bit lucky as the only boring bar was almost the same size as the hole.

Bored it out, bolt fitted, but once I parted off the flange the internal bore was a bit tight on the bolt, would be nice if I knew where I had stored the reamers I haven't used for thirty years but with a combination of using the drill and a scraper on the finished article - yay it fits.

Was a bit worried it might be too tight in service, so found a gearbox to set up and test the operation of the crank, put the tighter bush on the bottom adjacent to the flange on the gearbox, put a smear of assembly lube that has Teflon in it and set the crank up on the gearbox, put the thin wave washer under the bolt head and tightened the bolt down with a 22mm spanner, until the step portion of the bolt nipped up, and tested the operation - smooth as silk.

Very happy with the 2 hours work this afternoon, I am sure that Addo will be able to use the bushes in his project, if not the whole assembly

I will try and attach photos of the crank in place on the bell housing of the gearbox.

Bout time I got of my clacker and did some Fuego stuff!

Ken

Fuego 2.0 Clutch Pushrod Alignment-fuego-clutch-bellcrank.jpgFuego 2.0 Clutch Pushrod Alignment-fuego-clutch-bellcrank-insitu.jpg
    addo likes this.

Administrator

I'll take the bronze bushed pivot off the FrankenFuego and take some pics.
    Last edited by mistareno; 27th October 2015 at 09:53 PM.
    addo and Kenfuego like this.

Great to have seasoned input from several channels. I am having to treat everything from an initially empirical level; no Haynes, no factory data, no Pièces de Rechange guides.

I almost want to try both the polymer bushes and oil-lites to see if one feels better than the other!

Icon7

Fuego 2.0 Clutch Pushrod Alignment-image.jpg

Much better!

The cable is badly stretched but setting it up with about 3/16" of free motion at the pedal plus liberal application of Nulon L80 to all pivot/wear points, has resulted in quite a smooth and light clutch. Amazing fix that would have been much harder without pooled information here. Many thanks to all.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Thread Information