R8 alternator/regulator problem - details in Tech. and Performance - ideas welcome!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wolster
  • 1 Post By JohnW

Thread: R8 alternator/regulator problem - details in Tech. and Performance - ideas welcome!

Default R8 alternator/regulator problem - details in Tech. and Performance - ideas welcome!

Please go there if you might be able to help. Details posted.

Advertisement
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Please go there if you might be able to help. Details posted.
    I am not sure if this issue is still valid but I read the posts relating to the R8 alternator problem and it seemed to be very confusing with all the answers.
    The image of the alternator shown has no regulator and no sign of exciter diodes. This is the same as what is fitted to my R12 but will not work on the R8. The wiring on the R12 has an ignition feed to the top of the T on the regulator and the leg of the T goes to the alternator Df terminal. (Both items of course must be earthed). This system requires a voltmeter or an ammeter to indicate correct operation. The system is fairly simple but proven to be a little unstable with age particularly on the earlier Valiant series which did the same.

My R8 probably originally had a generator and so is fitted with a warning lamp in the dash. This has to operate with an alternator with exciter diodes or as in my case, an alternator with an integral regulator fitted. (Black thing on the body.) The system originally described can be made to operate and if anyone interested.

As an aside, do not attempt any very modern alternator fitment as the regulator is incorporated in the engine management systems. I know many systems and will try to help is required.

Wolster
    JohnW likes this.

This topic has been widely discussed in this thread:
    Bosch alternator with external regulator problem on the R8

Just to throw another log on the fire, I have fitted a Mitsubishi alternator to my R10, with built -in regulator, (from a Mazda ute) as recommended by Frans of R8 Gordini racing fame, and have had no problems at all. I had an auto sparkie connect it up for me which took 10 minutes and no additional wiring was required.
    For your information

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolster View Post
    I am not sure if this issue is still valid but I read the posts relating to the R8 alternator problem and it seemed to be very confusing with all the answers.
    The image of the alternator shown has no regulator and no sign of exciter diodes. This is the same as what is fitted to my R12 but will not work on the R8. The wiring on the R12 has an ignition feed to the top of the T on the regulator and the leg of the T goes to the alternator Df terminal. (Both items of course must be earthed). This system requires a voltmeter or an ammeter to indicate correct operation. The system is fairly simple but proven to be a little unstable with age particularly on the earlier Valiant series which did the same.

My R8 probably originally had a generator and so is fitted with a warning lamp in the dash. This has to operate with an alternator with exciter diodes or as in my case, an alternator with an integral regulator fitted. (Black thing on the body.) The system originally described can be made to operate and if anyone interested.

As an aside, do not attempt any very modern alternator fitment as the regulator is incorporated in the engine management systems. I know many systems and will try to help is required.

Wolster
    Thanks for that. I've had to park the issue for a few days - it's a bugger working for a living sometimes.
    J-man likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by rubyalpine View Post
    Just to throw another log on the fire, I have fitted a Mitsubishi alternator to my R10, with built -in regulator, (from a Mazda ute) as recommended by Frans of R8 Gordini racing fame, and have had no problems at all. I had an auto sparkie connect it up for me which took 10 minutes and no additional wiring was required.
    For your information

Henry
    Ah yes, Frans' results with those Mitsubishi alternators have been good.

Thanks for the extra log!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 alternator/regulator problem - details in Tech. and Performance - ideas welcome!-r8-track-car.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Wolster View Post

Wolster
    As described under "Technical and Performance" all is now well. Many thanks.

Now, more importantly "my R8"?????????????????

There are very few R8s in Perth. Please get in touch or, if we know each other, tell me who you are please. PM is fine.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information