talk about an insult
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default talk about an insult

Now my poor old 17 Gordini is really insulted, took a flat tyre in the other day to be repaired and when I returned an hour later the guy yells out to someone down the back "ay how's the BMW wheel going", I said "eh that's a Renault", he when gave me the untimate insult by shrugging his shoulders and saying "same thing".

Poor old R17 was feeling really bad last week being told it's not wearthy of wearing the Gordini badge it so proudly wears on its tailgate now it's getting called a BMW. Oh dear, does it any get worse than this.

Advertisement

Anyone else had any insulting remarks about the car?

David.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh
    Now my poor old 17 Gordini is really insulted, took a flat tyre in the other day to be repaired and when I returned an hour later the guy yells out to someone down the back "ay how's the BMW wheel going", I said "eh that's a Renault", he when gave me the untimate insult by shrugging his shoulders and saying "same thing".

Poor old R17 was feeling really bad last week being told it's not wearthy of wearing the Gordini badge it so proudly wears on its tailgate now it's getting called a BMW. Oh dear, does it any get worse than this.

David.
    not an 17, but i was told today when i went into get a puncture fixed on my RS Clio, that the aluminium drilled peddals should be outlawed because you slip. He didn't seem to listen when I showed him that on the brake and clutch pedal, all teh hole have bits of aluminium stick out so it in fact grabs your foot and is actualy quiet hard to slip! What cna you do? And THEN! when I went into their office to pay, they guy at the counter said, which one is it? I said that one *pointing to the silver clio jut outside the door* He said, its a Pug right? hmm....
    Karl
    -----------------

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

David.

my 306 has been insulted a couple of times bieng called a renault

oh well at least they were thinking french in my case

forgot to add

the first time my missus saw a 604 she thought it was a volvo and stated she would never be seen dead in a volvo
    Last edited by pugrambo; 24th March 2004 at 10:31 PM.
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo

the first time my missus saw a 604 she thought it was a volvo and stated she would never be seen dead in a volvo

I thought my missus describtion of a 604 was pretty offensive,
    Peugeot by Buick she called it.

David.

Getting petrol at servo, greasemonkey serving says "wot's this?" I was in the BX16V "A Sitrun???? who makes them...Datsun???"
    and then he wondered why I called him an ignorant asshole & haven't been back.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I suppose that is why so many Cortina TE's (1977-1979) were sold initially, as well as latterly Hyundai Tiburons, being modeled using cues from more renowned models to give the owner an inner glow when somebody gets it wrong.

Thing is with a 17, it looks nothing like any BMW I can remember, most BM's being three box shape, however 15's and 17's I have heard described as anything from an Alfa to a Datsun 240K hardtop.

As for people getting confused, on my way to the Canberra Renault centenary event some years ago, at some back block servo in the middle of nowhere, the proprietor asked if my R4 was some new model prototype. Now that is getting confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    I suppose that is why so many Cortina TE's (1977-1979) were sold initially, as well as latterly Hyundai Tiburons, being modeled using cues from more renowned models to give the owner an inner glow when somebody gets it wrong.

Thing is with a 17, it looks nothing like any BMW I can remember, most BM's being three box shape, however 15's and 17's I have heard described as anything from an Alfa to a Datsun 240K hardtop.

As for people getting confused, on my way to the Canberra Renault centenary event some years ago, at some back block servo in the middle of nowhere, the proprietor asked if my R4 was some new model prototype. Now that is getting confused!
    Wonder if it was the same back block servo I was in, about 20 years ago I took our just completed R17 convertable up to Jugiong for the car club week end and stopped somewhere off the beaten track for fuel along with my mate and partner in the project in his standard R17TL. We pulled up on either side of the pump and the proprietor came out and looked at the convertable and asked what type of car it was, my mate immediatly pionted to the coupe and said it's one of those but without a roof. The old bloke looked at the two cars and said yes so it is but one question. What's that? My mate immediately answers it's one of these but with a roof.

My theory on mechanics who call Renault's BMW's. If they call it a Datsun then there just ignorant and don't know anything about cars and shouldn't be in charge of a spanner, if they call them BMW's then there ignorant but think there smart, therefore there dangerous and deffinatley shouldn't be in charge of a spanner.

David.

David.
    Well, about a year ago, I took the 750 out for a burn with relatives from Ireland on board. They'd never seen anything like it - not many Renault 750s in Ireland it seems..... Anyway, I explained that it turned heads these days.

We were turning right, and a bloke in a van stopped and called out "Is that a Fiat?" just as the young lady behind ran straight up him. So it was poetic justice in a way. Might have been avoided if she hadn't been doing her hair at the time.....

I've lost count of the number of people who've asked if either my Renault 750 or the R8 is a Fiat. At least they never ask if the 16 is a Fiat.

We've never been accused of being German though. Very strange confusion.

JohnW

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    Well, about a year ago, I took the 750 out for a burn with relatives from Ireland on board. They'd never seen anything like it - not many Renault 750s in Ireland it seems..... Anyway, I explained that it turned heads these days.

We were turning right, and a bloke in a van stopped and called out "Is that a Fiat?" just as the young lady behind ran straight up him. So it was poetic justice in a way. Might have been avoided if she hadn't been doing her hair at the time.....

I've lost count of the number of people who've asked if either my Renault 750 or the R8 is a Fiat. At least they never ask if the 16 is a Fiat.

We've never been accused of being German though. Very strange confusion.

JohnW

that one i can understand

for the uneducated the 750 and a bambino would look pretty much the same if they have seen a bambino on telly and then seen your 750 running around

luckily in town here there is a bambino and a 750 i see quite often but the 750 is never on the road but the fiat is quite often driven
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Reckon you should change your tyre place!

Took my car to my favourite tyre place and the guy there picked it right away. "A pug eh? we used to have a pug..." Turns out he once owned a 203!

My father was pretty unimpressed, but you expect that from a V8 boof-head. Whats more, he doesn't own a computer, so I can call him a V8 boof-head without having a beer can thrown at me 'fraid it might be genetic though

Several of my colleagues have more than a passing interest in cars (there were also at least 2 other 205GTis owned by people in our division ), but one less interested member of staff was left cold. "Don't like those euro-crap things with the indicators on the left and all that". This from the proud owner of a Holden Astra
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Xantia Activa CT - Chock full of upsy-downsy goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    Many years ago I was giving a mate a lift in the Fiat Superbrava I used to own, and he said,

"Nice car, a Renault isn't it?"

Troy.

Maybe we should all adopt an idea from the riceboys and put the manufacturer's name on the top of the front and rear windscreens in 4 inch high letters.
    Oh, and the name will also have to stuck to the bottom of the doors or sills so that you can read them from the side (6 inchs high).
    And just to be safe, the name across the roof so that people in high buildings and low aircraft will know what it is.

Ren

PS. Have you noticed the Renault, Peugeot and Citroen are all 7 letters long.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

My RCS is often refered to as a 'shopping trolley' (worlds fastest), and my uni friends delight in pointing out that it is named after a chicks magazine - different spelling, but who cares, pearls before swine and all that.

Funny you should ask

My R25 has been called a SAAb many times (I guess they think it is some sort of 9000 series) and a bloody Pug!!

My R15 was called a fiat once, by a bloke who said that he even owned one. Don't know what soert of drugs he was on.
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

About 20 years ago (when the Comonbore was fairly new), we pull up at a country pub in the NSU Ro80. Two guys sitting out front sucking on beers, ask "whats that mate?". "its an NSU' says Dad. "Oh, who makes it then, Holden or Ford?" they ask.

Bloody hell we think. "Neither, its an NSU" says Dad again. "Yeah, but does Holden or Ford make it?" "no, its an NSU - from Germany" "Yeah, but is it the new Holden or Ford?" thay ask again.

Dad gives up at this point and just says Yes.

Never had a froggy car called something else, but had plenty of people say "whats a Renault?"
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN

PS. Have you noticed the Renault, Peugeot and Citroen are all 7 letters long.

don't forget porsche has 7 letters as well

peugeot and porsche have something in common they both start with P and have seven letters
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

don't forget porsche has 7 letters as well

peugeot and porsche have something in common they both start with P and have seven letters
    Mate, anyone who has ever been in the Duttons GP rally will tell you that you DON'T want to associate yourself with Porsche drivers. 98% of those guys are absolute pretentious w*nkers, and I know Peugeot drivers aren't like that at all. Well, not many of them anyway
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    had plenty of people say "whats a Renault?"
    Yeah had that too, plus Clio is a chick's name, plus a bunch of other "chick" related stuff.
    Karl
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by storms_of_fate
    Yeah had that too, plus Clio is a chick's name, plus a bunch of other "chick" related stuff.
    Oh and "isn't Clio sport like a Charade Sort?"
    Karl
    -----------------

XTC

And they would be quite close to each other in the Dictionary ... along with "painful", "panache", and "poseurs" you decide which one belongs to Peugeot and which goes with Porsche

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    And they would be quite close to each other in the Dictionary ... along with "painful", "panache", and "poseurs" you decide which one belongs to Peugeot and which goes with Porsche

- XTC206 -

well perfection would be close to peugeot in the dictionary

as [email protected]#$#er would be close to porsche
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

While on the topic of insults (and this is said in jest, i do admire their cars)

Renault- WE create cars
    Peugeot- We create pepper grinders (how the company got started)

World's finest no less, complete with fighting lion emblem on the bottom. I like to cook, i have one

Quote Originally Posted by winnie
    Peugeot- We create pepper grinders (how the company got started)
    Didn't they also seal wooden ships with some sort of tar compound? Early Peugeot history would be interesting, might have to find something to read...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by winnie
    My RCS is often refered to as a 'shopping trolley' (worlds fastest), and my uni friends delight in pointing out that it is named after a chicks magazine - different spelling, but who cares, pearls before swine and all that.
    Actually, you can tell them its named after Clio, one of the 9 muses.
    "Clio the "Proclaimer" is the muse of history and is often seen sitting with a scroll and accompanied by a chest of books. She has been credited with introducing the Phoenician alphabet into Greece. Clio had teased Aphrodite's love of Adonis, and in consequence of her wrath, Clio fell in love with Pierius, the son of Magnes and the king of Macedonia. By Pierus, she bore Hyacinth."

Then theres Thalia, one of the names given to the Clio sedan (otherwise known as Clio Symbol etc)
    Thalia (Thaleia) the "Flourishing" is the muse of comedy and of playful and idyllic poetry, and is seen with a comic mask. She is sometimes seen with a crown of ivy and a crook. By Apollo, Thalia had the Corybantes, priests who castrated themselves in identification with the goddess, Cybele.

As for the other seven muses that we havent seen cars named after:Calliope, Erato, Euterpe, Melpomene, Polyhymnia, Terpsichore, and Urania.
    Last edited by Craig; 25th March 2004 at 06:48 PM.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Those Renault Thalias ( clio sedans) are every where in mexico. Half the taxis we used were Thalias but re badged as Nissans. The did also sell Clio sports under the Renault name. Would be a bit insulting to call a RSC a riced up nissan taxi!!

Jensen

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information