Fuego in Perth.... ah HELP!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Fuego in Perth.... ah HELP!

Hi there group of clearly slightly mad but wonderful people!
    I have a issue, but it comes with a short story so it's not all bad.
    if you dont like short stories skip to the *story ends*

My Aunty has always had strange cars as far as i can remember. Peugeots, Alfa's and a number of Renaults. However sadly she is not quite all there any more and has had to go into a care community with my Uncle. They are happy and well looked after so no problems there. The problems start when i am the family car guy and they want me to come and 'look at' the Fuego (aka magic instant fix it and sell it for a million dollars, because its rare and obviously worth a lot) in the garage that has been sitting for possibly a year or more.

So yesterday i went to have a little look. I should have known it was a bad idea when on the way i had a car crash with a range rover into my rear which has jammed my tailgate shut effectively locking the majority of my tools in the back of my wagon. After dealing with the minor car crash thing i finally got to see the old girl.

I feel bad, she has clearly been un-loved and knows it, if i had known i would have given her some attention long ago. Before i got there my Mum made sure the car was unlocked and they had the right keys. But when i arrived she must have decided the man with the toolbox was the one neglecting her and decided to firmly lock herself to punish me. After a near hour long battle i removed the rear side window and squeezed my way in.

But that was just the beginning. I was then locked inside for a little while trying to get either of the doors to operate at all. Once i was free i could check it out and its messy. I feel it is possible the radiator was run dry (or has slowly leaked itself dry) and the carb is a mess (PCV valve issue i suspect). Plugs are fouled and the tires are shot. I can turn the motor by hand but with the amount of work needed i think i might be the end for this old girl and i am not keen to start it and risk further damage. I think someone with the time could get her running but that person is not me. I believe it is a 86 model but the vin plate is quite worn, and not actually attached to the car.

Advertisement

*story ends*

So in short i need to know what i should do with it? Is there a Perth Fuego whisperer that i can call? I checked the yellow pages but i dont see anything for a Fuego tamer. Should i shine a giant Renault diamond into the night sky and he will come? Would it be of value to someone, even as a parts car? There are some usable parts on her. I will get some pictures asap i ran out of daylight yesterday as i had so much work to do checking over the old girl and her Range Rover partner (dont even ask about that big and grumpy old girl).
    Would you folks like any more information? Would anyone like to come and look at it?

In summary

HELP!

Just be a bit patient before Jo or some other Fug nut (we've got a few) stumbles over this thread and all your problems will be fixed (or passed on to them). I would hazard a guess it would have been smart to come here before actually going to the car. I am pretty sure Jo knows how to get into a Fuego without opening anything. I would suggest next time take a new battery with you (or have one accessible with some cables), and leave the bonnet open, but I guess it is late for such dribble.

I can open the bonnet on some cars without the keys, but Fuego is not one of those cars.

Either way, what is the desired outcome with this car? Sell, use, give away, launch off high cliff, garden ornament? The suggestions/solutions might differ.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Good Luck!
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

Welcome aboard, I guess...

You have a real problem Spacie, with time, money, effort, and a little love of course, the Fuego can be brought back to concourse condition and become the love of someone's life.

You'll lose money - probably lots - and waste a lot of time. But that's not the real problem... Its convincing your your dear aunt and uncle that the car is not worth the fixing.

Put an add on ebay and/or Gumtree get them to set the asking price and let the market tell them what its worth. Its a good way to distance yourself from negotiations.

All the best

P

PS:

Of course you could always throw caution to the wind, buy it yourself, join the lunatics on this forum, get heaps of free advice - both informed and the other (see above) - and grow old disreputably like the rest of us.

Your call...
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I am pretty sure Jo knows how to get into a Fuego without opening anything.
    Who bothers to lock a fuego???

For the record, the way to get into a fuego with power at the battery but no key is to wedge the corner of the door open a tad, insert a long rod (I use a batten from a sail) and press the door open button on the dash.
    I locked the car once with the engine running and the NRMA guy took 5 seconds to get in.

If there is no power from the battery, first reach up and connect some jumpers to battery terminal by brail, to power up the car then do the afformentioned trick, or just use the key.
    Key wont work without power because the little plastic lug that physically connect the lock barrel with the door lock has snapped decades ago.

Space ape, I share your dillema.

I too have a fuego that is sitting in a shed dying a slow death, however mine is fully modified with every concievable modern electronic gizmo connected to a rather powerful engine. Still its fate may be the same as your one.
    They are an unloved car, and regrettably yours sounds like it is really only good for a sucker or the scrap heap.

Dont know about WA, but here a wreck is worth about $150 to scrapper.

Jo

Tadpole

What i would like done with it...?
    well i guess i am a crazy who thinks cars have feelings (but i think i might possibly be in a safe place here) and i want it to go somewhere it might be used for something.

I think the family will accept that it is not worth the effort to fix it. But in a way i guess i feel more attached because i know my Aunt loved this old and strange thing and i want to do the right thing for her, even though she wont have a clue about it now her brain has gone wandering. I think all the family wants is for it to go somewhere other than the scrap yard.

Should i try starting it anyway? I think it would make the family happy to hear it run again even if its just for a short while. I just dont want to hurt anything by doing it. The engine turns but i would not run it for long because of the state of the radiator/cooling system.

I assure you i have spent much time considering putting it on a trailer and taking it home but i think as far as projects go it is way past my ability level. I plan to grow old disreputably anyway so maybe it is an option... I wonder how the Mrs will feel if i bring both a schizophrenic Range Rover and a old French lady home...?

I am sure you guys have heard it before, but how can a car treat me so badly but i still want to love it!

I think getting some pictures and letting the gumtree people at it might be the best idea.

I thank you all for your input so far. You seem like a pretty decent bunch of nutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Ape View Post
    What i would like done with it...?
    well i guess i am a crazy who thinks cars have feelings (but i think i might possibly be in a safe place here) and i want it to go somewhere it might be used for something.

[...]
    Then it's settled.

Welcome to the loony bin.

PS. Since you have a shedmobile already (and I suppose a towbar on it), why don't you ferry the poor thing to the French car day and put a note on it? That's where the local chapter of the Oz loony bin will soon congregate and it'll have a better chance of finding a good home. It's probably going to be the only Fug there and definitely won't be the worst presented car, I assure you. See the thread in events for date/time and place.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 19th October 2015 at 05:32 PM.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Ape View Post
    I am sure you guys have heard it before, but how can a car treat me so badly but i still want to love it!
    There is no sensible answer, but the concept is a well document fact, especialy with the fuego.
    I was maried to mine for about 12 years, but alas I've moved on now.
    How about you come over here, drive mine back and you can have two mistresses!!

Jo

I was thinking about that.

Thread Information