• 2 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By DJ 750
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By alan moore

Thread: Question for Renault 4cv owners

Tadpole

Default Question for Renault 4cv owners

Hi all,
    Two questions regarding 4cvs firstly my engine 662 has the breather coming out the rocker cover I want to change to a rocker cover without breather in it and put the breather down the bottom I don't see this being an issue has anyone else done this and secondly the steering rack I have taken the cover off and inspect lay it looks ok but wanting to get an someone to check over it has anyone got this done in Melbourne before and if so where

regards Adam

Advertisement

Hi there Adam.

People's opinions vary on this. My alloy rocker cover does not have a breather and the crankcase one seems quite adequate. However, others have deliberately drilled and fitted breathers that run back to the air cleaner from the rocker cover as well. Mine used to be like that and I've noticed no difference since getting the alloy cover and disposing of the top end breather. There's quite a big hole inside that lets the oil down from the rocker gear to the sump, and air pressure should relieve well IMHO. However there are other views.....

I'd check, with the steering rack:

1. Backlash on the gears - this is adjustable with a screw/lock nut arrangement but you need to be careful.
    2. Whether it turns freely by hand or has irregular binding - a sign of the pinion bearing dying
    3. Whether there is "up and down" play on the rack, suggesting the end bushes are worn.

They are super-reliable units if greased from time to time and if the dust boots are kept in good order, i.e. replaced when necessary.

I'd suggest Alpine Affaire, Auto Paris, French Connection, none of whom I've used for anything mechanical but go through the strings on this forum and they all figure regularly.

My 4CV has its original 1951 rack, never overhauled. It is fine, with a few mm of slack at the wheel rim. A few of us have removed the return springs if external (the early type) or disabled them by removing circlips if internal. Personally I prefer them without the strong return springs but again there are different views on this.

The serious issue is the flexible joint at the base of the steering column. the early ones are canvas and they do fail occasionally. New ones are available and if the rack is out I'd put a new one on. Fiddly? Yes.... Best with a really good quality ratchet ring spanner with a fine ratchet.

Keep up the good work!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Thanks John that should be helpful I have purchased a large amount from France so I will be replacing the flexible joint and also the tie rods and dust boots the rest checks out ok just wanted to see if there was anything else common to fail

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by BLA1NY View Post
    Thanks John that should be helpful I have purchased a large amount from France so I will be replacing the flexible joint and also the tie rods and dust boots the rest checks out ok just wanted to see if there was anything else common to fail

Adam
    No, in my experience the racks behave themselves usually. My R8 rack was rebuilt at about 320,000 km and 47 years, mainly to get a high ratio pinion kit fitted, and the pinion bearing was pretty rough, but not a safety issue or detectable at the steering wheel. Probably by 500,000 km it might have been a problem... I fitted NOS tie rods to the 4CV about 25 years ago and they remain fine (funny how useful lubrication is). The old ones when I bought the car were cactus, but pure neglect IMHO. We fixed them in the late 1960s and I fitted NOS ones mostly because I had them. My wheel alignment was done by me with a string line from back to front, a few mm toe in, and that has always been adequate.

As I said, others may have different views....

Have fun with it.

Cheers
    Sunroof and J-man like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Default 4CV radiator cap

Question for Renault 4cv owners-138-radiator-cap-front-21092015.jpgQuestion for Renault 4cv owners-139-radiator-cap-rear-21092015.jpg

Hi,

Another question for 4CV owners. Is it possible to dismantle (or not) the radiator cap on a 4CV. I need to replace the rubbers and get the body re-chromed. If possible, how? See attached photos.

Thanks

David

Quote Originally Posted by DJ 750 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	138 radiator cap front  21092015.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	75452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	139 radiator cap rear  21092015.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	75453

Hi,

Another question for 4CV owners. Is it possible to dismantle (or not) the radiator cap on a 4CV. I need to replace the rubbers and get the body re-chromed. If possible, how? See attached photos. Thanks David
    Hi David,

I'd just buy a new one, personally. http://www.bretagneautoretro.fr/crbst_31.html

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

Hi john
    would you or anyone else know what the normal operating temp of ac4cv coolant system is

adam

Hi john
    would you or anyone else know what the normal operating temp of ac4cv coolant system is

adam
    This could start quite a discussion. Do you get Fourword? I wrote several articles about my cooling system woes a couple of years back. PM me your email address and I'll send them over.

Most 4CVs, if not all in Oz, didn't have a thermostat. So temperature varied according to season and they could take quite a while to come up to temperature. The later ones came with a 50 mm thick radiator and don't overheat at all if in good condition. The temperature gauges fitted to some cars (but not all) seem to work quite well and I calibrated mine approximately - shown in the article.

Some people have fitted thermostats, using the hose system that came with the rear mounted Sofica heaters. There are various ways of doing this but I haven't done it myself, although I have a made up adaptor to use.

The all aluminium Chinese radiators now available (go to ebay) seem excellent although need a bit of fiddling with mounts I am told.

If you need a "radiator job" and opt for a recore, it is essential to fit a thick one with three rows of tubes. My articles explain why!!

I reckon they run roughly between 70 and 90 degrees most of the time.

Others may comment if they have fitted separate "modern" gauges and believe the numbers.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    With regard to thermostats and radiators John has answered it rather well. Don't forget the metal tube in the cylinder head. These tend to rust and block the supply of cooling water to the head. Replacements can be made or can be bought from France, One source is Web Pieces Retro. There was an article on Aussie Frogs on this topic about 18 months ago.

Kind regards

David
    JohnW likes this.

The attached was ripped from the workshop manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question for Renault 4cv owners-dsc07389.jpg  
    JohnW likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Thanks for the help I have ordered the water rail and I had a radiator repaired I do get fourward but only the last two. this is why I ask there is nothing One I found online that runs a thermo fan and I was thinking of making it temp controlled so it cuts in at the higher end of running temp.
    I have seen the radiators from China but speaking to the radiator guy we use for the trucks I work on he said keep well clear of alloy radiators as they don't last

Adam

Thanks for the help I have ordered the water rail and I had a radiator repaired I do get fourward but only the last two. this is why I ask there is nothing One I found online that runs a thermo fan and I was thinking of making it temp controlled so it cuts in at the higher end of running temp.
    I have seen the radiators from China but speaking to the radiator guy we use for the trucks I work on he said keep well clear of alloy radiators as they don't last

Adam
    Ah well. I doubt the ally radiators would be a short term prospect with the right coolant - ask Alan Moore who runs one in his track racer, as he'd know.

PM me and I'll send you those earlier articles if you like. That water pipe is important - there are right and wrong ways to fit them by the way. You can get 6V thermostatic fans from USA and they look good. Go to Scotts Cooling Fans | Cooling Fans - 6 Volt Fans

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Adam
    After recommending their services a 4CV Register member got an aluminium radiator made to fit by Winner Racing in China. I have had one of these in my BMW 2002 for a few years, my father in law has one in his R8 Gordini and I have bought one to fit an A110 to fit in the front of my 16 TS powered 4CV. I would suggest better than 95% of new cars would have an aluminium radiator, although normally with plastic tanks unlike the Winner Racing Products.

Have a look at Item no. 121619605761 on Ebay 4CV Radiator $379 +30 postage. Winner Racing are making many radiators for more unusual vehicles. Certainly the heat transfer of the alloy rad will be much greater than the original, as the tubes have a greater surface area.

If you run inhibitor in the system I expect the radiator to last many years.

56mm Aluminum Alloy Radiator Renault 4CV Renault 750 1949 1960 | eBay
    JohnW likes this.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Thread Information