Scenic 2004 aircon
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By REN TIN TIN

Thread: Scenic 2004 aircon

Tadpole

Default Scenic 2004 aircon

I've been driving a 2004 Scenic that I bought a couple of years ago (low km) but have been having sporadic problems with the aircon. I had a 2003 Scenic for many years that didn't share the same issues.

Advertisement

Firstly as the vehicle suffers from engine getting flooded with water during high rain, the rheostat(?) controlling the aircon was damaged and so the aircon only ran at full setting. I had the affected part replaced but the problem repeated. Subsequently I actually have no working aircon.

What would be recommended course of action that reduces likelihood of this happening again? Is it feasible to completely replace the manufacturer system? Can I shield against water?

I've emailed JM Auto Air but had no response.

cheers

keywords for later search: air conditioning, AC, climate control.
    Last edited by Scenic2004; 8th October 2015 at 10:22 PM.

You could I suppose, but it would probably be easier to sell your car and buy one with AC working.

Any old car with faulty AC is a write off by my measure.

Jo
    robmac likes this.

"No working aircon" could be caused by a lot of things, a disconnected wire, blown fuse, low gas, faulty compressor, etc. but we'll go with your faulty rheostat theory.

If the rheostat for the aircon got damaged from rain then then the rain is getting into the passenger compartment.
    You say the engine was flooding. Is there dampness or water in the footwells?
    There is no air connection between the engine bay and the passenger compartment for obvious reasons so the engine getting flooded doesn't mean there is water in the passenger compartment.

If water is getting into the passenger compartment then firstly, stop the water getting in.
    It's possible the drain holes in the plenum are partially or completely blocked and/or some seals are past their best.
    Lift the plastic plenum covers and clean out any leaves or other crud if there is any and pour some water in the plenum to check it's flowing off. It does rain in Europe a darn sight more than it does here so engine/interior flooding is not normal.

If it is the resistor pack, replacement resistors are readily available from Renault of from Ebay and other on-line parts places and they're not horrendously expensive. It's a common problem and there appear to be plenty of people selling the resistor packs. You never know, it might be corrosion on the board or contacts so it might come good with a clean. Of course if it's something else, e.g. seized fan motor, then you'll have to look deeper.
    It's a bit of a fiddle to put the resistors in but there are videos on youtube showing how to put them in and if you do a Google search you'll turn up other tutorials.
    It is a DIY job.
    Cheers
    Ren
    Sunroof likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Tadpole

Water comes into the front passenger footwell. It's the intensity of rain here that's the problem - which is far worse than anywhere I've lived in Europe. I believe it's a not uncommon issue with this model of Scenic.

I'd wager the blower motor itself is cream crackered from regular water ingress. It may be possible to add some sort of deflector for rain above the plenum air intake. Check that all water drain points are unblocked, and if the car has had a screen replacement make sure that isn't letting water through either.

We had a 2003 Scenic that used to flood when new. It's a common issue on this model, and easily solved. At either end of the plenum chamber there is a one-way rubber flap - this is to stop dirty air coming up from the engine bay, but is supposed to still allow water flow down out of the plenum. The flaps don't have quite the correct level of 'give' in them though.

Our dealer removed these under warranty after my complaints and the car never flooded again.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Thread Information