Virage - Bosch starter motor
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By REN TIN TIN

Thread: Virage - Bosch starter motor

Fellow Frogger!

Default Virage - Bosch starter motor

Hey guys, I'm looking for some help with a starter motor replacement in a Virage.

It's all become a bit of a disaster. I took the starter out almost a year ago and had it reconditioned about 3 months ago.

The motor has a new casing which seems to be slightly bigger than the old one. I couldn't get it back in, so my wife organised someone to get it into the space. Problem is that that's all they have done. None of the connections to the solenoid have been made, and it is very difficult to access. Because it's been so long, I can't remember which bolt/connector both cables run to.

The other problem is that the smaller cable, which I think is from the ignition switch, has gone missing. It has, I think, a small bullet connector on the ignition end. I don't know whether it has an O ring or a spade connector on the solenoid end. Unless I can buy one, I'll have to get one made up, but I also don't know what the specs on the wire itself are (current etc).

Advertisement

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers

COL

From memory the starter motors for the Virage was a Paris Rhone, but someone my have substituted it for a Bosch.

The large cable which goes from the battery to the starter motor, goes onto the top stud connection of the solenoid.

The smaller cable which as you said had a bullet connector at one end and if it is a Paris Rhone starter motor has a eye on the other end. I think the Bosch starter motors had a spade connection..

What you can do with the small wire is to cut off the bullet connector and replace with a spade connector.

As for the wire size some multi stranded cable of about 2.5mm sq would be fine.

You may need to get a small mirror, compact camera or phone and take a pic to see what sort of connection is on the starter motor.

Hope this helps and gets you closer to fixing the car. If you get stuck take some pics and put up here so its easier to give advice.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

The Bosch starter motors were used to get the local content up and yes, tey are shightly larger than the Paris Rhone types.
    But I thought all the 1.4L motors (i.e. Virage) had the Paris Rhone starter, but I could be wrong.
    Berridale likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Fellow Frogger!

I've got the Bosch, probably a replacement at some point.

I changed out a Paris-Rhone in not much time at all on the front lawn in the dark in my first Virage, but this is something else.

If memory serves, I think I ended up undoing the engine mount (with the motor suitably supported) to get the thing out but in theory one should be able to wriggle the starter out with everything in place.
    But make sure you have an adequate vocabulary of swear words because you'll probably need every one.

But compared to say, a current Megane even removing the Bosch starter is a piece of urine.
    At least you can reach it from the top.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Thread Information