Renaultsport Clio 200 leather steering wheel peeling.
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Renaultsport Clio 200 leather steering wheel peeling.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Renaultsport Clio 200 leather steering wheel peeling.

We have a 2012 renaultsport Clio Cup Trophee. It has 32k km and the perforated leather(?) on the steering wheel ( 2 and 10 positions) is beginning to peel. Is this a well known problem? It is still in warranty until December, so we will report it. Just wondering if one off bad luck or others have had the same problem and possible solutions.
    Thanks

Advertisement

This is a known issue, and goes right back to the 172. Report the problem ASAP - and well before the warranty expires - to maximise your chance of getting a replacement.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Hand cream can affect the leather.

Fellow Frogger!

It is only the 2 & 10 positions that are effected on the outer ridge. Handcream would be more widespread? We also have leather steering wheels in our Xantia CT turbo (1997) and Lancer Evo X (2008) neither have the same issue. I will report it this week.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    It is only the 2 & 10 positions that are effected on the outer ridge. Handcream would be more widespread? We also have leather steering wheels in our Xantia CT turbo (1997) and Lancer Evo X (2008) neither have the same issue. I will report it this week.
    Cheers
    As Steve says, it can be caused by hand cream, sun tan cream, etc etc. The worst affected areas are the ones that are subject to being touched/held onto the longest. And it does seem to be just a Renault thing, though I've not had a lot of exposure to other brands.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

I suggest that, with the new one, you regularly use the sort of leather cleaner/polish that's sold for upholstery.

I bought a 1275 Moke Californian new in June, 1979. Part of the specification difference of that model from the normal Mokes was a rather nice, Moto Lita style, "drilled" alloy spoked, thickish leather rimmed wheel by a mob called 'Intersport' (made in France, curiously).

The Moke continues as one of my 4 toys & the wheel is still fairly good. My maintenance/preservation regimen (from new) has 2 elements.

The first is the regular use of the polish just mentioned. The second is always draping a towel over it if the Moke is parked in sunlight (it spent the first eight years of its life in, what is, for my taste, the filthy heat of Queensland before I could escape).

My use above of 'fairly good' is motivated by two "wear & tear" matters. The first is that, despite my regimen, the leather cover shrunk circumferentially by about 1-2 cms & split the stitching at 6 o'clock, exposing the hard, closed-cell foam of the rim material. The second is some mild colour loss & surface abrasion from use.

Still, after over thirty five years of fangful use, this isn't bad & makes me think kindly of Intersport (at least as they then were) as a company. Not that I've ever heard of them outside this experience.

My R8 & my Djet have similar R5 Alpine/Gordini wheels of similar vintage. Both suffered degraded leather rim covers when I got them & I had two "gloves" made up by a furniture upholsterer (from scraps) which I "invisibly" stitched on. Nice wheels for rear-engined Renaults incidentally.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 28th September 2015 at 11:55 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I think the problem is exacerbated because of the perforations weakening leather at the 2 a & 10 positions and trapping sweat and oil from hands (and hand cream?). Happened over winter in Wagga so not any sunscreen used and Clio is parked under cover. Hopefully warranty will sort it out. Will report back.

1000+ Posts

Can you get a non Renault s'wheel? The new one will fall to bits as well if they haven't' sorted it by now. An owner told me about this problem years ago
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Fellow Frogger!

Renault have agreed to replace the steering wheel- no fuss. I was informed that the new wheel has a different part number to the original one, suggesting my Renault service man says that the peeling leather ones have been superseded . Let's hope so.

I Have a Clio 197 R27 that has done 115000 kms and suffers the same problem , in particular the outer side that is more exposed to the sun . I will confirm that the perforated section is not leather , but vinyl !!!! I would love to teach myself to hand stitch a new cover to replace it , ideally in alcantara , which I have grown to love in the Megane 275R .

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Toolman View Post
    I Have a Clio 197 R27 that has done 115000 kms and suffers the same problem , in particular the outer side that is more exposed to the sun . I will confirm that the perforated section is not leather , but vinyl !!!! I would love to teach myself to hand stitch a new cover to replace it , ideally in alcantara , which I have grown to love in the Megane 275R .
    Just buy a kit from Ebay.

plenty of how to do it videos on You Tube.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Steering wheel on our 2003 Scenic was replaced under warranty in 2005 for same issue. Use of handcream was blamed for deterioration.

Will Reno never learn ?

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    We have a 2012 renaultsport Clio Cup Trophee. It has 32k km and the perforated leather(?) on the steering wheel ( 2 and 10 positions) is beginning to peel. Is this a well known problem? It is still in warranty until December, so we will report it. Just wondering if one off bad luck or others have had the same problem and possible solutions.
    Thanks
    This issue is not only a Renault problem. Have seen countless Peugeot 307 /308 's with the same problem
    Looks to me like a type of spray on vinyl coating rather than leather. Cheap and nasty!

Alain

Thread Information