R10/8 Ignition switch removal
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: R10/8 Ignition switch removal

Default R10/8 Ignition switch removal

A friend of mine asked me if I has an extra ignition switch so I went to a steering column I have and tried to remove the ignition switch from a assembly that is the style that actually locks the steering shaft when the key is removed the ignition switch works okay and does lock and release the shaft . I removed the 8mm bolt and placed it in the run position so the shaft is unlocked but could not remove the ignition switch from the column so I tried a second locking column and it was the same ??
    What am I overlooking in getting the switch out ??? I have a non locking style and once the 8mm bolt is removed it just slides out .any help is appreciated!

Advertisement

Manic gt

I'd have to look it up in a manual tonight after work (or you can), but I have a vague recollection that there is a spring loaded ball bearing underneath that locks it in. You have to put the key into a certain position (accessory maybe, rather than run), then push the ball bearing in whilst pushing the barrel out towards the driver - or something like that!

I'll look tonight if no one else answers in the meantime.
    KB

1000+ Posts

Yep sounds right to me.

You have to put the key into a certain position
    On the 404 Niemann switches it the <garage> position. IIRC that is anti clockwise from Off position.

On 404s there is also a hex socket grub screw which needs removing as well.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,

The steering lock for my 4CV also has a spring loaded ball which you have to push in before you can withdraw the lock from the column.

Regards

David

...a nine inch angle grinder will have it out in a jiffy,
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I'd have to look it up in a manual tonight after work (or you can), but I have a vague recollection that there is a spring loaded ball bearing underneath that locks it in. You have to put the key into a certain position (accessory maybe, rather than run), then push the ball bearing in whilst pushing the barrel out towards the driver - or something like that!

I'll look tonight if no one else answers in the meantime.
    It needs to be in Garage (or ON for that matter) to withdraw the tongue from the slot in the steering column. There might or might not be a small grub screw or a 7 or 8 mm small bolt to remove, and that spring loaded ball maybe, and then it will be stuck anyway as they can be a tight fit and have been in place for 40 years! You might need to belt it out using a wooden punch. I spent hours once on this job in situ and it was just friction.

Looking closely at your photos, you have a securing bolt on one and a screw (? Posidrive) on the other. I've never seen one of those "long" ones that I remember.

The trouble with this job is that you do it about every 25 years and forget the horrible detail.

Best of luck. At least you have them out of the car.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Probably a bit like childbirth John, they remember whilst they're doing it they swore they'd never do it again.

Anyhow, from the factory manual - the first few steps you can probably ignore for obvious reasons: (I've removed references to diagrams etc)

Disconnect battery
    Remove the tray panel from under the dashboard
    Remove the horn and lighting switch lower casing securing screws and remove it
    Place the anti-theft switch in the "garage" position
    remove the key
    Disconnect the three leads (Ed - wires) marking their positions
    Remove the two screws which secure the anti-theft cartridge to its bracket
    Press the locking ball
    Lift the cartridge slightly upwards
    Press on the locking tab, by means of a scriber point inserted with the ball centres
    Take out the anti-theft cartridge whilst maintaining the pressure on the locking tab.

So from that, did you remove the key? was it in garage?
    did you remove two screws (if applicable)?
    perhaps it is this mysterious locking tab which is your undoing - In the diagram, this is in a cutout on the actual metal steering column part, the ball is underneath more or less; and the two screws appear to be at 2 and 9 o'clock positions (or 1 and 7 maybe) as it would sit in the car.

Hope that helps
    KB

I finally managed to get the ignition switch out there was a small hole in the column that was full of dirt it felt spring load so I pushed it in and was able to slide the switch out I did have to use a little force to persuade it .
    I should mention I had to take the complete column apart to look down the tube to make sure the locking mechanism was totally retracted and once I notice it was I started to look around for a hole that could be a release port .

And yes the angle grinder with a cut off disc did cross my mind !!

Thanks for all the input !!!

Manic gt

Thread Information