My R12 POS Arrived! - Page 39
  • Register
  • Help
Page 39 of 45 First ... 29353637383940414243 ... Last
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: My R12 POS Arrived!

The Amaroo is indeed the smaller tighter circuit, and it's a little underutilized to be honest. Because it's a slower speed track it's not as popular as the North section "Druitt" or even the full circuit "Gardner". I confess I haven't had a chance to drive on it properly yet myself, as an indication of how infrequently it is available for members days, track days etc etc..

Structurally, as it shares some of the Gardner circuit, it's availability depends on only the North (Druitt) being utilized. Having said that, it is popular with the "handling" car clubs when it's available, MX5, BMW, Southern Sporting, and I feel like there is a Interclub event coming up withe NSW Reno club?

This Sunday, (11th) the BMW car club have a track day on it, Get in touch with them and see if they have any space left? Most clubs usually do to be honest. The next track day isn't until the 21st April, (perhaps that's the inter club day with the NSW Reno club I'm vaguely remembering), being hosted by the SSCC (Southern Sporting Car Club).

Actually the MX5 club have it the day after Sunday the 22nd April, they are usually pretty accepting of other marquees. I have seen Rx7's 8's and even Focus within their paddocks on their days.

Now having said all that, I think going through turn 1 on the north or full circuit the limiter would be pretty rad What diff / gearbox do you have in that thing? Would the limiter (say 7k rpm) be about 170km/h? You probably wouldn't be bouncing of it to much to be honest? Actually you will probably be doing 90-100km/h by the time you exit that final corner. yeah you might hit the limiter just in time to pass the control box I suppose

Advertisement

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Ah right on time. "The Hub" to the rescue. Friday 20th April there appears to be a track day on Amaroo.

Lets all go to that one!

#edit, also "The Hub" (NSW Reno Car Club Mag) is great.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

Hi Bowie,

With all this talk of downdraft Webbers and head mods on 1300s.
    Have you seen what the Argentine R12 racers get up too?
    Reminds me of the original HQ Holden series here.
    I think you would fit right in. But you will need a brighter colour scheme.

https://youtu.be/vFL_Qim8xeUMy R12 POS Arrived!-a366cd3e-3521-4550-8522-863c78170659.jpg
    JohnW and bowie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Renault Rod View Post
    Hi Bowie,

With all this talk of downdraft Webbers and head mods on 1300s.
    Have you seen what the Argentine R12 racers get up too?
    Reminds me of the original HQ Holden series here.
    I think you would fit right in. But you will need a brighter colour scheme.

https://youtu.be/vFL_Qim8xeUClick image for larger version. 

Name:	A366CD3E-3521-4550-8522-863C78170659.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	103586

Great to watch the r12's Thanks for posting
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Omg.

MY PEOPLE!

Haha that's is crazy. And not wrong, they swap doors as much as our HQ's for sure.

Well looks like Argentina just made the honeymoon list.

More Spanish goodness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XzsjrrIgXk

It's worth it just to see all the marshals standing around without protection on the infield. , oh and the stock 12 pace car

I was born in the wrong country.

Oh no I've gone down the youtube auto play rabbit hole.

https://youtu.be/MRPvKmysL8k?t=5m7s

There are a bunch of interior shots from these guys / class. It sounds like they all have a "standard" 4sp box in there, well the ratio's sound about the same

Lets all buy R12's and have a local series

Oh Skip. to 7m:20 to check out a nice couple of slides.

Well I had my first 360 today. Well it was more a slide I suppose.

I had some hours owed to me so I took part in a track day this afternoon. It was the first time after fitting the thicker sway bras front and rear. The poor instructor was still grabbing what ever she could to stay on the seat and not in my lap.. Even with these 17 sway bars it's still a boat really. Much better then before, and no real under-steer to speak off, I need to pull my finger out and get those springs made and koni's in.

The slide was fun. The track was damp and I was waaaay to aggressive tipping it into 6 on the Gardner circuit, the bum stepped out just after the apex and I completed a nice pirouette facing the wall on drivers right. so more of a 290 degree spin I suppose. Turning it back on, 1st gear, I drove on.

I feel the marshals / observers will be laughing at me for a while no doubt. Still! Good to experience here and not on the M4.

I had the GoBro with me but I fudged it at the start of the session and it recorded zip Boo!!

I was set for next session after a calming moment, the rain has set in and I present a few more highlights below;

Whoops 1: https://youtu.be/rVX1LYwFOGc
    Which was a piss week little slide from the front trying to find some traction turning into Turn 5.

Whoops 2: https://youtu.be/gOk7vdiKeWY
    The point where I went round and round the last session, here but a slight slide across the corner whilst turning. Not a fun feeling when you don't want for it to happen again.

Whoops 3: https://youtu.be/-T4d6ITXxwE
    And finally coming out of Turn 14, I was way off the line, I didn't need any of that steering angle (I should have been 2m to the right) and the slippery track sent the rear out where I had a brief moment thinking about how I wouldn't want to hit that wall..

I went it and had a coffee after that.

So it was exciting afternoon no doubt!

I did a couple of 2m:28s, and I got my top speed up to 138km/h~ (from 134~ which was the first time out on the North Circuit) so I'm getting better at 17/18 (the final turns) it seems. So that's a good thing.

Comparing the corners the circuits share from the last time, well there isn't a great deal of improvement, but it was damp, wet, damp so the fact that I wasn't seemingly overly slower on those similar sections is a good thing I suppose.

But bloody hell it's good fun!
    59 Floride and Sunroof like this.

Mandatory photos in situ.

It really is great. and my car survives. You probably look after yours, I'm sure yours would be even better!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My R12 POS Arrived!-28618962_2248937151786988_1204883299810074477_o.jpg   My R12 POS Arrived!-28616915_2248937358453634_4229465074206333988_o.jpg  

Oh just looking over the data, on the lap off the spin, I was actually doing 140km/h entering turn 1!

LOL: https://serious-racing.com/p/Gwh7.html

That's a new personal recordGo you silly little 12.

Oh and I found the lap with the spin.. I had entered the corner 10km/h faster then previously.. whoops.

SPIN: https://serious-racing.com/p/9aGR.html

You really all need to come to a track day. We can be buddies
    Last edited by bowie; 7th March 2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Shoji and potentz like this.

“Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Merci!

This one is also good

Pour les amoureux de la R12 Gordini...

Slow day at work, we have a track day on the Gardner circuit with only 13 people registered....

Anyway good for me. My still mostly stock 12 (R17 sway bars, 205mm old Chinese rubber) just did me 2m:25s, with a top speed of 140.4km/h and an average speed of 100.3km/h

I'm getting better at the final corner, and I'm starting to trust these ol' brakes a little more. It's going to be a demon by the time I fit those vented 17 brakes and those wagon drums. I'll have to learn everything all over again.

VIV LA RENO!

#Edit.
    Oh, looks like I still have that leaking petrol problem. Not a bad diagonal I suppose.

My R12 POS Arrived!-petrolyes.jpg
    Last edited by bowie; 6th April 2018 at 05:37 PM.

Wanna know how fast a R33 is..

R12 Vs R33 GTR

https://youtu.be/ypz94qOvyjQ

I nearly had him too.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Wanna know how fast a R33 is..

R12 Vs R33 GTR

https://youtu.be/ypz94qOvyjQ

I nearly had him too.
    You need to let the hand brake off
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Just they wait till I install this carburetor with 2. that's right, TWO venturis.

Oh my! this one is even better.

R12TL vs V8 Super car approaching turn 6...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rDt...ature=youtu.be

Place bets now!

You need to learn to choose your battles and set your car up for it Bowie. No car can claim is the fastest in a straight line because there's always another one that is faster. In the corners it's all about setup and driver skill, not power. Remember that video with the little Honda Civic stealing the corner at Bathurst from some big monster like that V8?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Indeed I do.

And yes I'm not disheartened it was just entertaining to watch that in the replay.

Fellow Frogger!

Well, that old Ozemail V8 from Brad Jones heyday was so much faster than the R12 - everywhere. How about some vision of the 12 going past something ? anything ? please !

On a positive note, some guys in this years Bathurst 12 hour could take a lesson from you on how to stay on line when a faster car comes up to overtake. You have very good awareness in traffic.

Sadly for TV, but good for me, there was hardly any traffic on the circuit. By the time I was out a BMW broke, and there were 6 cars left. It was an odd sort of day.

But how about a 12 just going around in a circle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waGovAVTWgM

This was one of the 2m25s laps (I did a couple) I still need to work out what I'm doing at turn 2 (still turning way to early), the hair pin (just brake much later) and turn 18 (still turning in to early). But getting there.

Oh that broken BMW was still in the pits, so I suppose I technically passed it

It's much safer to stay on the line true. And the real competitors where polite when passing.

Fellow Frogger!

Any car passed is a pass, if it breaks and stops that counts as a passed car. Renault reliability has won many rallies and races.

After watching the in car, I believe you need to be more aggressive, brake later and carry brakes more into the apex at t 2 and the hairpin. You should be exiting with a little opposite or straight ahead lock and feeding on accelerator to balance the car. Apart from any suspension mods, technique can reduce the mid corner understeer. The same applies to the other corners however you don't have to be as aggressive in the faster turns as it will wash off too much speed, the basic entry technique will be the same however as you need to go deeper under brakes. You could also get onto the power harder and earlier on the exit of T2 and through T3 before you go over the bridge before that hump.

The entry to 4 is good but again you could be more aggressive into the left hander and up the hill then later on brakes into the next turn so you get a better run under the bridge around corporate hill.

When I used to run coaching courses at Amaroo Park, I recall one day when a couple of very successful rally guys were moving to a production car for Bathurst, their times improved 2 sec per lap with a bit of driver tuning. Good lap times are not just about big brakes and sway bars. You could easily find another two or three secs at SMP without changing the car, in fact it is better not to change it while you have a benchmark on lap times to just concentrate on the driving.
    Stuey likes this.

Yes I'm not very confident under brakes. The thing moves around quite a bit, (feels like the right rear is trying to meet the front, suppose that wheel cylinder is grabbing more then the other?) and I'm conscious it's still a single circuit master cylinder with 40yr old lines. But still! You are correct, there is heaps of technique needing to be made up here.

And I have to remind myself this is the 2nd time on the Gardner circuit. Last time I was lapping at 2m:33~ so happy that there is some improvement.

Interestingly all the speed seemingly was found at entry to Turn 2 (braking later) but yes there is still so much room for me to start braking, it might help keep me wide before I start turning in too.

I'll come back to this post before next track day and re read your advice *nods*

Fellow Frogger!

After looking at the in-car again, it does move around a bit under brakes in a way that suggests you should check the wheel alignment. It looks like you need to make sure you have a little front toe in, maybe 1-2mm overall would help.
    Although you say it feels like the rear is trying to meet the front, the vision does not show that. If it was trying to swap ends on entry under brakes, you would have to be catching it at T2 and have some opposite lock on. The vision shows left hand down every turn in, which is turn in understeer, not oversteer with the rear coming around.
    Trust me, if you brake really late into T2 and carry brakes up to the apex you will get oversteer not understeer. At which point with FWD you can feed some power on to pull you round. There’s 2 seconds right there!
    But Bowie, please don’t practice this on the street as I don’t want to see a white R12 on the 6pm news.

It is due for an alignment.. and actually it hasn't been measured property since when it last had the steering rack out.

I'm in no rush to prove myself on the streets of Five Dock, (is that where the cool kids go these days?) so there will be no "we interrupt this program for an important news bulletin". Happy to bide my time until the next members track day.

And alright. That is my challenge. I've been hitting the brakes at about the 100m mark, I might just try to brake lighter at that point, and aim to do most of the braking as you describe, much later and into the corner.

In other news I have a second hand Sparco to go in (Thank you PeterT )

I had the seats and R12 rails out and was looking to see if they could be adapted to house the bucket. Dream is to re-use the sliders and just take the seat on and off as wanted.

Short answer Yes(1). Long answer, I'm probably just going to mount them directly to the floor without sliders.

The original bolt positions in the 12 will work nicely, the length front to back is adequate, the width across whoever is much larger then required. Not to be worried. Some flat alloy bar cut to length to mount on the stock positions across the width, with holes measured and drilled for the aftermarket seat will be fine. It might even accidentally provide some extra bracing to that welded section of the floor

I shall also be able to swap the stock seat over for the bucket without to much drama Woo Hoo!

(1) There is a difference between the S1 ans S2 Reno 12 seats that we knew about. The later model S2 / VIrage seats have tabs that extent down to the rail to meat tabs sticking up to meet them. It is because of this arrangement you can adjust tilt to the seat which is kinda nice. The earlier seats meet the rail directly with a flat surface, and bolt down onto them neatly. It is these earlier rails that will be much easier to adapt to an aftermarket seat if you wished too. One would simply need to cut some alloy bar to length, drill holes for the width as required and you are done. For the later model rails you would have to cut the tabs of / thus making them useless with the original seats.

Page 39 of 45 First ... 29353637383940414243 ... Last

Thread Information