My R12 POS Arrived! - Page 33
  • Register
  • Help
Page 33 of 33 First ... 232930313233
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: My R12 POS Arrived!

https://youtu.be/zD289QZvF_8

Quick drive, I forgot the rear taillight a are not enclosed haha. Camera toward the boot whilst I touch the brake.

Advertisement

The rattles are amazing

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Just doing a sly engine swap before lunch.

59 Floride and JohnW like this.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

Hope you've added 4WD..... Looks very neat.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

But back to proper work, got the floor fixed!

So what happened? the plate with the captive nuts at some point in it's life had come free of it's welds to the underside of the car, a prior well meaning bowie in a past life simply pop riveted them back to the floor. It was from those points that the cracks started and spread.

My R12 POS Arrived!-cracked.jpg

Compulsory photo of the adults doing the work.
    My R12 POS Arrived!-adult-supervision.jpg

Compulsory image of metal silly string hanging out the bottom.
    My R12 POS Arrived!-string.jpg

And here it is glued back together!
    My R12 POS Arrived!-fxed.jpg

Yaaaaaay.

Recommendation was to use these larger flat washes under the rail to assist in sharing the load out on those points. They didn't like the idea of the rail sitting bare on it. They thought about tacing those washers into position but as they are thicker then the sheet metal it was doubtful it could be done without putting more holes in the 'lil 12.

Now the rust at the front is a little annoying. The hole is directly above the chassis rail to make welding difficult. The material around looks crap, it "should" be a new floor at same time.. for the moment rust converter, fiber glass, carpet.

Well the oil temp and water temp dash lights work.

I was just fixing the idle and checking the timing, (turns out the vac advance is broke, might as well hurry up and find me some megajolt fun times) and the level in the bottle is rising, and rising, and rising. It hadn't stumbled and I start to hear a gurgle in the base of the bottle and the penny drops. The thermo fan didn't kick in!

Rushing around to kill it it is now nearly to the point where it's trying to bubble via the top of the bottle. TIme for a fluid change anyway.

Good points to take out of this I don't have any leaks anywhere And the braze I did months ago held well! Ghetto pressure test indeed..

Touching the fuse on the fan +ive it starts, looks just to be loose, will check it in the morning.

Good pick up Dan.
    Last edited by bowie; 15th November 2017 at 08:19 PM.

Dan, get your arse to Altronics and get yourself a can of Deoxit D5. It's expensive as poison but it will clean all the contacts in situ.

With the vacuum advance capsule I would suggest you check the dizzy and let us know what it is.

Didn't I send you a dizzy? The capsule should be good on that, and if the dizzy is the same you can just plonk it in (or check if you could swap capsules).

If you give us the numbers, I'll have another dig through the pile see if I have another one with a good capsule.

Failing all that, there's a place in Qld with VW beetle bits. They stock capsules and I have used them in the past. It is very likely that if you have a Bosch dizzy, they'll have a capsule for it. Not sure what would fit a Ducellier dizzy.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The Bosch distributor (if fitted) was common to other Australian built cars of the era (Chrysler Gallant, etc.).
    The vacuum advance modules would be the same.
    If it's a Ducellier then you'll probably have to look overseas but you can replace the Ducellier dizzy with a Bosch.
    Yours being a very early car might be Ducellier.

On the fan, put a switch in parallel with the thermostat and have the switch on or under the dash somewhere.
    A 10 minute job and you can over-ride the thermostat whenever you like, just remember to switch it off again.
    The fans only been there a few months hasn't it? The contacts shouldn't be dirty already after just a few months.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

No they shouldn't be. It feels like a crappy fuse housing to be honest, or the fuse might have broke just enough to be intermittent.

The dizzy is a Ducellier, and you did send me a Bosch one Schlitzaugen. I have toys to play with true.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    No they shouldn't be. It feels like a crappy fuse housing to be honest, or the fuse might have broke just enough to be intermittent.
    When I bought my Davies Craig thermo fan kit for my first R12 many years ago, it was the fuse supplied with the kit that was the cheapest and crappiest made component of the kit and the first part to fail. All I did was replace it with a better quality fuse holder.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

The other crappy part of the DC fan kit is that wedge system, thats lets the temperature switch capillary wend its way into the top hose.

The weight of the sensing bulb tends to draw the capillary towards the edge of the radiator hose spigot, resulting in a snap off.

I fitted a Holden temperature thermistor in the bottom tank and used a Silicon Chip "voltage switch" to operate the fan. This allowed accurate setting of the fan on and off temperatures.

Use a 1k pull up resistor on the sensor to 12v+.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/threshold-...h-kit/p/KC5528
    bowie likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Page 33 of 33 First ... 232930313233

Thread Information