My R12 POS Arrived! - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 26 First 123456713 ... Last
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: My R12 POS Arrived!

COL

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    fair enough but that would probably be 185/60 or 185/55 and the minimum rim width for those is 5"

Advertisement

so new, or modified, wheels then.

cheers! Peter
    R18 wheels will give you 5" wide and will most likely be the cheapest way to go, unless you come across someone on here selling a set of old Cosmic or Dunlop alloys.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

COL

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Cheers all.

Look yes I'm running around way ahead of myself, But the way I figure it. Goridni has done all the hard work for us as far as something to aim for. I'm just currently researching the required contacts so I can be organized for when I want to hit go on things. I work in operations and it's the curse of the job really. At work I'm stuck thinking 12-24m ahead most of the time, why should my Renault 12 plans be any different

No I'm not about to throw 24mm bars into a unknown 12 with stock dampeners and springs,
    Yes It will be going to uncles Dave's for club rego,
    Yes I will get my finger out and over to some events, driving a slow car fast was the dam point in all this.
    Yes there probably honestly is more car in a clapped out 12 then I would no what to do with on a circuit / at an event.
    Yes I'm a little to excited and just need to calm down

I took it out to the Ballet tonight, (don't worry I had a permit) and my partner hardly complained. That pretty much means she likes it I think.
    If you want to do grass roots motor sport in the car as it is, motorkhanas are a good place to start and a standard R12 is a great car for this.

My only tip here is make sure the hand brake works well so that you can steer it around a tight course on the rear wheels.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    If you want to do grass roots motor sport in the car as it is, motorkhanas are a good place to start and a standard R12 is a great car for this.

My only tip here is make sure the hand brake works well so that you can steer it around a tight course on the rear wheels.
    Just a thought on this point. Being an early 12, it will likely still have the under dash handbrake, if you require a new pawl so it actually stays on let us know. Anyway, to make it more suited to motorkhanas, it'll be a good opportunity to install a hydraulic handbrake between the seats, at the same time as a 15/17 brake upgrade. Keeping the underdash handbrake will make it a bit more legal, in not having to work out how to fit the hydraulic handbrake around the later 12 type floor handbrake.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    ???

A good way to lessen understeer is to have relatively more of the roll stiffness (& thus weight transfer & thus grip degradation) at the rear. So a relatively stiffer rear bar compared to the front will lessen understeer & a relatively stiffer front bar will increase understeer. Playing with roll stiffeness differences via changes in spring, sway bar & damper rating in compression 'phase are major ways of adjusting handling balance.

I always wondered with the R17 TL bars if the rear was a greater thickness increase than the front one by reference to an R12 or if the balance was the same.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    That's why I said you don't want a huge difference between the front and the rear sway bars.
    Yes, all is now clear. (I was, you see, thinking of having a thicker bar at the rear; so . . . .)

cheers! Peter

Fellow Frogger!

My opinion is to overhaul all the bushings, tie rod ends etc, double the spring rates front and rear, use 17 mm ARB front and 20 mm rear. Yes, I know, it's a big difference! But even the 12G is known for terminal understeer so you either have to lower the front or use a smaller front ARB. My first choice would be 18 mm, but 17 mm is now on, so buy only a 20 mm rear ARB off an R17 from the wreckers and sink the $500 on other upgrades like springs and shocks. Look up the standard spring rates, double them and ask Kmac to make the springs from you. Let me know if you need help calculating spring heights.

Many thanks Thanos, Yes I'm sure to keep you all informed with all the boring details.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Old 15/17 brakes and gearbox bits Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Have a look a Paul's (G4ME) R17G and copy that. Springs will be different obviously because of different weights but that car is so well set up it amazes me. It gets less wheel spin off the line than most of the rear drive cars in it's class and the way it turns in without any understeer is very impressive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My R12 POS Arrived!-paul-thumbs-up.jpg  
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

COL

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Have a look a Paul's (G4ME) R17G and copy that. Springs will be different obviously because of different weights but that car is so well set up it amazes me. It gets less wheel spin off the line than most of the rear drive cars in it's class and the way it turns in without any understeer is very impressive.
    Lots of negative camber on the front would help the turn in a lot.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Yes that's right. That's why we did it.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

And a lower front end. It looks like 2.5 degrees negative camber, 20 mm lower. Add around -1 mm tow (front end is 1 mm "open" ) and you have the cure for understeer. But I am a bit surprised to see this car on gravel, it does not seem to have the suspension travel for it.

I think that photo was shot at the end of a tarmac climb, (Rob Roy Hill Climb?) i.e he was turning around I suppose

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

Well finally got a chance to take it down the road for an inspection, (Thanks David, that guy you put me onto is great ) and there was a few bits I missed

Trailing arm bushes on the right wrecked.
    Steering rubber (universal joint) is really split.. (oops)
    Plate lights no work (front and rear, could have sworn they were working..) (#Ed. wait did I say front plate bulb... :S tripping hard last night it seems.)
    High beam switch broken.

That last one is a bit of fun. when I say broken I mean activating high beam will cause smoke to billow from the wires under the steering column. To the point where I'm a little scared to touch anything else for it might decide to burn itself to the ground. Having said that it's nice to know I have an electrical fire on demand should I require one.

So as I wanted a POS, well it might not to be to far from the truth

I'll fix the rubbers in the meantime and think carefully about replacing / removing the electrics...

Also, previous owner had removed the window sprayers and just installed "bolts." I had assumed window washers might have been a luxury item back in 1971 and didn't bother looking into them. To Super Cheap.

And Kenny, did you seriously never turn on high beam whilst you had it? Didn't you put fancy low current bulbs in it?
    Last edited by bowie; 6th October 2015 at 10:51 AM.

COL

Well finally got a chance to take it down the road for an inspection, (Thanks David, that guy you put me onto is great ) and there was a few bits I missed

Trailing arm bushes on the right wrecked.
    Steering rubber (universal joint) is really split.. (oops)
    Plate lights no work (front and rear, could have sworn they were working..)
    High beam switch broken.

That last one is a bit of fun. when I say broken I mean activating high beam will cause smoke to billow from the wires under the steering column. To the point where I'm a little scared to touch anything else for it might decide to burn itself to the ground. Having said that it's nice to know I have an electrical fire on demand should I require one.

So as I wanted a POS, well it might not to be to far from the truth

I'll fix the rubbers in the meantime and think carefully about replacing / removing the electrics...

Also, previous owner had removed the window sprayers and just installed "bolts." I had assumed window washers might have been a luxury item back in 1971 and didn't bother looking into them. To Super Cheap.

And Kenny, did you seriously never turn on high beam whilst you had it? Didn't you put fancy low current bulbs in it?
    All of the stuff you mentioned is easy to fix.

You can source a good second hand trailing arm and steering universal, these are easy to change and you will notice a difference in the handling when they are fitted.

The lights are either globes or electrical connections that will have 40 years of grime that needs cleaning off.

The head light switch will probably need changing, they are known to fail. These are easy to fix, disconnect the battery, remove the covers from the steering column. The head light switch has a plug and a stud and nut arrangement to disconnect and the switch is held to the steering column with two screws.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

My first R10 had a smoking headlight switch. I noticed that it only smoked if it was switched on/off slowly which caused arcing, and the grease and dust on the contacts smoked when it got hot. Cleaning the contacts and flicking the switch quickly solved the problem.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

And as usual, this place is amazing.

We'll time to take it apart and clean it and see how it goes,

The inspector was also upset the springs had failed in the switch, ie. there was no resistance flicking the lights from high to low beam, but that should be pretty straight forward.

Good news!

COL

And as usual, this place is amazing.

We'll time to take it apart and clean it and see how it goes,

The inspector was also upset the springs had failed in the switch, ie. there was no resistance flicking the lights from high to low beam, but that should be pretty straight forward.

Good news!
    To me it sound like you need another light switch. I have not had one fail on me but have bought wrecks where the switch is broken like yours, I have just put it down to a heavy hand previous owner.

The switches are riveted together, I have never tried to pull one apart but if you do you will need four bolts and nuts to replace the rivets that you drill out.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Ah!

Well best have a look to see if I can replicate this smoke at least either way. next next weekend.

Fellow Frogger!

glad you said replicate and not replace the smoke as i've never had luck putting smoke back in.
    LIFES TOO SHORT TO DRIVE BORING CARS!

Ah you just need the correct tool

Lucas Replacement Smoke Kit
    Exfrogger likes this.

Yours sounds like it may be one of the early combined flasher/light combination switches. These are rarer than the later separate flasher/light switches but can be replaced by the later version.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

I may* just have the early combined light/blinker assembly in a 12 I will be disposing of soon. It'll be a few weeks before I lay eyes on it again but I know it is an early model with the unit I described, but I need to check that I still have it on the column or one of its spares in the boot. Its yours for the cost of posting (1 x pint) if you can hold out for it.

Also, years ago I did separate one of these units to try and fix the non-distinctive change between high and low beams. It turns out that this is governed by a rectangular bit of plastic, flat on 3 sides to lock it into place and the 4th (long) side has 2 distinct ridges and hence 3 distinct valleys in it that allow the arm of the light switch to sit in the 3 different locations and this bit of plastic perishes and splits resulting in the lack of resistance between locations. I worked around it with a bit of welding wire and some self-tappers in some pre-drilled holes but it is hardly a "good" solution

Not sure if it's combined or not. There is a secondary indicator stalk in front of it? Do you mean combined as two stalks in one switch?

It looks like this;

My R12 POS Arrived!-blinker.jpg

The far switch is the one that's smoking. I rotate it counter clockwise? to turn the lights on (where it smokes) and then move it up to activate high beams where It then flops down to the middle. I feel that's where a spring would pull it back swiftly. I can't exactly recall but I feel I could have pushed it down to active high beams also?

Thank you for the offers of a switch. As a back up plan I had decided there was enough dash space to drill holes and install manual switches from Jaycar.

Anyway, I'll pull it out first and go from there. Thanks all

Don't do the Jaycar switch the switch thingo.

Those stalks are so handy where they are and so well designed to operate with one finger, it will completely destroy what I think it's one of the best ergonomics of the car and still top design to this date. There's plenty of spare switches like that around, just wait for more readers of your thread to put their hand up. I am pretty sure I have one (the later type I think) you can have for postage but I am in WA. There's bound to be one closer to you. If there isn't, just let me know.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

From what I can see and based on the year model it will have the blinker switch and light switch as one single unit (same as on an R16), so there will be a few kicking about.
    You are right about the high beam flash option. Up is flash, rotate for parkers, down one click for low beam and down one further for high beam.
    My opinion is to second the "avoid the JayCar option".

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

My R12 POS Arrived!-smpxk54409.jpg
    My R12 POS Arrived!-smpxk54407.jpg
    My R12 POS Arrived!-smpxk54411.jpg

Thank you mystery Ute / high bumper bared 4WD.

Pull into my street coming home from work and I'm like.. wait a second! *sigh*

At least they didn't destroy the indicator globe. That's a plus. And I suppose that makes up my mind about the parking stripes.

Page 3 of 26 First 123456713 ... Last

Thread Information