My R12 POS Arrived! - Page 25
  • Register
  • Help
Page 25 of 26 First ... 15212223242526 Last
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: My R12 POS Arrived!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    While you've got the rocker cover off check it isn't warped first as no gasket is going to help if it's warped.
    And resist the urge to tighten the living crap out of the rocker cover screws.

Your handbrake appears to be sans a few bits (pawl etc.).
    Best check the floor panel between the seats is reinforced and has the captive nuts so you can mount handbrake lever on the floor if you haven't already done so.

I'm reading this with some of Liptons finest in hand.
    A early picked 2016 vintage from the western slopes of Sri Lanka.
    Was on special at Woolies too, about five bucks for fifty tea bags but I could be wrong.

Advertisement

You had me right up until the tea bag bit.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Hate not on a fellow tea drinking brother.

BRAIN WAVE!

How about I just cut the restricting valve out of the old hose and add it into the new hose. Geeeeee's if I keep this level of thought up I might be president one day.

Runs nice now.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Old 15/17 brakes and gearbox bits Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

And speaking of valves,

My R12 POS Arrived!-valve.jpg

Isn't it a cute looking thing. Also, despite having soaked it for 3 days prior, it was still dirty as all...

Also see these highlighted sections. I assume they are vacuum points?

My R12 POS Arrived!-solex-vacuum.jpg
    My R12 POS Arrived!-mystery-vac.jpg

Re the bottom image, there has never been any gromit / hose on it as far as I can tell?

And since you asked.. What does it look like now with a pair of hoses and Japanese drifting catch can? Well it looks like it could be a part of Hokusai Dream of the Fishermans wife series..

My R12 POS Arrived!-nipon.jpg

But at least it won't be leaking oil out of those prior hoses and all over the manifold now.

Oh keen eyes will note the water sprayer bottle has been moved to the other side of the strut tower. Fits well over there actually. Its is cable tied to the opening in the strut of course
    Shoji likes this.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

Holy crap how good are small engines!

Fitting that catch can and new rotor arm has transformed it I mean. well it went ok and I assume that was the limit of a 40yr old non cross flow 80,000m reno donk. It seems a bit of basic maintenance is all it needed.. *ducks*

I reckon the hose from the inlet manifold was split slightly on it's outside elbow and was sucking in heaps of air before the restriction valve.

There is a steep hill near my home; https://goo.gl/maps/zy6eozVnZJJ2

It would struggle to get up it in third usually, it was still increasing it's velocity when I reached the top

Everyone. Replace your old vacuum hoses now!

Since stopping vacuum leaks is now my new favourite thing (free horse power bro) I might as well add Solex gaskets to the shopping lists and really actually complete this "Stage 0" transformation.
    Last edited by bowie; 6th August 2017 at 09:54 PM.

Remember you do have to empty the catch can.
    If you have a lot of blow-by it could be quite often.

The hole in the restrictor is 1.5mm and yes you can make your own by drilling a hole in some suitably sized material.

The pipe on top of the carby is so that petrol fumes from the bowl can be sucked into the engine and burnt.
    The carby does not suck anything and the only vacuum at that point is from the manifold.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Ah so it's just a vent for the bowl. Might as well plum that into the can also, as apposed to leaving it plugged up... which doesn't sound like a good idea.

And yes understand the can needs to be emptied.

Drove it to the mechanic this morning for it's slip, thought I'd quickly open the bonnet to see if anything was dribbling. .. HOLY SH!T! :S It looks like the gasket didn't seat properly and it passed a significant amount of material all over the plugs, dizzy, oil filter, relays on the left hand side of the engine bay. I checked it last yesterday / last night and it was fine so I'm unsure what happened on the way in this morning.

I confessed the issue to the mechanic, he's got enough time to have a look at what I've done / haven't done.

Faaaaaaaaaaark

Surely crank pressure couldn't have done that? :S I just can't see how I could have buggered it up buy using the original valve in the tube.

Gah, now it needs a certificate of weight for the NSW blue slip! :S

This 12 has seen more inspections than a migrant on Nauru!

Now I feel bad for making a comparison to refugee's

Next Week now.

If you've got oil all over the engine perhaps the oil is dripping onto the fan where it's being sprayed onto the rest of the engine bay.
    The oil catch can is not an empty cylinder but is likely to have something like stainless-steel wool or baffles inside so there is more resistance than just sucking fumes from the rocker cover. If there's not enough vacuum then pressure can build up and force oil out of the rocker through the cap and seals. You might have to experiment with bigger holes in the restrictor to see what works best.
    (A 1300cc motor doesn't have huge vacuum anyway).

The carby vent is currently connected to the inlet manifold where the petrol fumes are sucked into the motor and burnt.
    Personally I'd not be keen on sucking petrol fumes into a container (catch can) where they are mixed with oil and stored.
    The oil fumes aren't volatile but the petrol is and minimal as it seems there is a risk or fire.
    (Yes it's on the 'cold' side of the motor where there is little risk of heat or ignition even if it did leak)
    As you know the later 12's had a charcoal canister to collect the petrol fumes and these were passed back to the fuel tank (if memory serves), that might be a better proposition.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Large vacuum or not it was surprising how it barely ran without that restriction valve.

You might be on to something with the extra material in the can slowing it down. My can was empty so I added the usual steel wool in which to create oil droplets out of the air.

in regards to the danger of the fuel vapor from the Solex bowl, isn't un-burnt / burnt gas coming directly out of the rocker cover anyway? I.e.. that's what blow-by is?

And the idea is that the vacuum is enough to draw the gas back into the manifold to burn, whilst ye ol' steel wool attacks the heavier oil vapor, which then cools, and merely sits in the bottom of the can? There shouldn't be any dangerous bang bang gasses sitting in there at any time, ever.. right? :S

The leak isn't being picked up by the fan, it's pouring out of the brand new seal I installed, more so on the distributor side.

Apart it all comes on the weekend again, perhaps it's just not sitting in the channel correctly.. better get a few clean rags..

COL

Bowie

Is the rocker cover distorted in any way? Maybe the nuts that hold the rocker cover down have been done up to much in the past and distorted the rocker cover.

My experience is that the rocker cover seals up pretty good usually, I have have had a bit of oil leak out of the filler cap in the past.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Hey, Bowie, guess what I run into today?

Found the gauge cluster I knew I had.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that it's missing exactly the rev counter gauge!

Someone must have taken it out for some reason. Might even have been me.

Anyhoo. If you still want the cluster with the rev counter, I might pull my thumb and pull out the one in the car.

Think about it, but don't make me do it if you're not keen.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Col I had a look when I changed the gasket, it appeared true. But I'm going to be checking everything now.

Schlitzaugen, I like to think future me set this up somehow. All good re the cluster I'm content with the little gauge I have now.

I did email out to a transport company the other day in an act of desperation, like texting an ex on a friday night at 9am a single "smile" emoticon. It's friendly right? Just being nice..... just to see what the damage it is to move a car across the boring middle bit. turns out it's not insignificant, nor significant to be fair.
    Last edited by bowie; 8th August 2017 at 09:27 PM.

Thinking more about this catch can as I wait for the weekend, where does the fresh air come from to circulate around the crank case?

I have one "breather" spot on the 12 rover cover, and that is connected directly to manifold vacuum (via the PCV valve, or in our case, that fixed orifice). At idle, I reckon it would be sucking so well it would be forcing the rocker cover seal of the it's seat. Open the throttle and all of a sudden this oil has a perfect escape path out around it.

The T-piece that connect the rocker cover to the Solex fuel bowl vent, well that was the "breather" for the rocker cover! At idle, with heaps of vacuum present, it provided an inlet to lower "suck" in the top of the crank case, at WOT, it doesn't matter as vacuum "suck" from the inlet manifold was lower anyway!

SO! Providing my head has sorted that out correctly, I need to introduce a "vent" or another source of low pressure air into the rocker cover.

I can either, re-connect the T-piece that connects the Rocker cover to the Solex, and connect the catch can directly off that, or leave the breather of the Solex plugged, and drill and fit a small breather vent directly onto the rocker cover.

To test the mess I'm making for myself I'll re-connect the T-piece and see if it keeps the oil in!

This should also explain why it was running super lean (fast) without the fixed orifice as it was sucking directly via the rocker cover gasket!

TO BE CONTINUED!
    Last edited by bowie; 9th August 2017 at 11:39 PM.

Bowie, I thought we already went through this some time ago.

The crankcase is at higher pressure than atmospheric. That's what the "Positive" in "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" (PCV) means. As in, higher than atmospheric and opposed to "negative" = lower than atmospheric.

This pressure is created by blowby in engine normal operation. Hence any "air" (which is in fact burnt and unburnt fuel plus oil vapour/droplets) that enters the crankcase coming from above the piston.

But that doesn't matter.

The point is, that having higher than atmospheric pressure in the crankcase, any opening to the atmosphere would serve not to provide a path for air to get in, but a way for whatever gas there is in the crankcase to get out. Hence the recirculation pathways designed by the manufacturer.

I think I mentioned before that I heard anecdotally that the crankcase pressure can build up high enough that it blows main rear seals in some engines (BMW M10 engine).

Rocker cover gaskets on R12 can leak but in my experience they are not a real problem.

I side with Col, you need to examine your rocker cover gasket channel and the cover itself for distortion or the sealing surface of the head for scratches. You also need to make sure you don't damage the gasket in the process of installing it.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 12th August 2017 at 11:47 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

And I agree with you.

This will teach me for staying up late and "thinking"

I had a morning free to myself, turns out the gasket was just sitting "skew if"

Much better, although still not sitting right. Up the front the gasket that joins the water pump / front accessories on the front of the engine, is sticking just slightly above the height of the head, perhaps a razor blade to trim it will do.

Similarly at the back where the coolant hose joins the head, that seems to be forcing the gasket slightly over and a little is pooling there a smidge. I'll be able to fix that easy

Also found a weight bridge to satisfy the road worthy man.. $45 later to tell my the 12 it is 0.92 tare. Suppose I should have taken the tools and spare fuel out of the back.

Getting there.
    Shoji likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Bowie if you intend to use your 12 in motorsport your catch can needs to be a minimum of 2 ltrs.
    LIFES TOO SHORT TO DRIVE BORING CARS!

Cheers Peter.

That will be easy to sort now.

Gah! Golly Dolly Poopy Poop!

It's the weekend so I spent the morning soldering and wiring up the sweet sweet thermo fan along with the associated bits needed, then after a late lunch (because weekend) test all my wring. Yep! everything is sweet. I took a feed directly of the alternator because twas nice and close. I may run a -ve straight back to the battery, I'll measure the resistance in the chassis grounds first I suppose.

Anyway, time to drop the rad hoses and pull it out to remove the blades of the water pump, and fit the elec fan on the back of the radiator. Wiggling the bottom rad hose free and..

My R12 POS Arrived!-dohrad.jpg

There was a bit of rust at the bottom and it looked like a bit of fluid had leaked over time, suppose better it's borked here in the yard and not somewhere on Parramatta road. Annoying none the less.

Will buy your old 12 radiator, with Money!

The upside of course it is will allow me to get at all that crap on the front of the engine.

My R12 POS Arrived!-mess.jpg

There was talk of a grommet that weeps a little bit, the fan then picks it up and sprays it all over everything, suppose I'll have the time to investigate that now.

Serves myself right I suppose. Best cancel that inspection on Monday.

So close

1000+ Posts

Looks like that should just sweat back on with some solder and heat. If the rad is from a 12 you should be able to fit the larger rad from an R15/17.

Solder?

So a bit of googling later......

Right so perhaps a small oxy and a lot of solder. Worth a go I suppose.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Solder?

So a bit of googling later......

Right so perhaps a small oxy and a lot of solder. Worth a go I suppose.
    Some Bakers flux, solder and a gas lamp

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bakers-2...fluid_p5060192

https://www.bunnings.com.au/consolid...stick_p5060061

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradefla...h-kit_p5910245

All available from the green shed

and a bit of know how from You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...adiator+repair
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Looks like that should just sweat back on with some solder and heat. If the rad is from a 12 you should be able to fit the larger rad from an R15/17.
    If you want a larger radiator get one from a Virage.

The 15TS, 17TL/TS radiators have the inlets and outlets transposed.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Cheers Col.

Found a good reference here too!

Brazing Tips & Fundamentals | Lucas-Milhaupt

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    If you want a larger radiator get one from a Virage.

The 15TS, 17TL/TS radiators have the inlets and outlets transposed.
    Yep sorry got confused with the 17G motor in my 12.
    COL and bowie like this.

Yeah yeah rub it in

Page 25 of 26 First ... 15212223242526 Last

Thread Information